The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha M1532 vs. Yamaha PM1000, differences? Consoles
Old 29th March 2013
Gear Head

Yamaha M1532 vs. Yamaha PM1000, differences?

ok, this seems to be a topic that i can't put my finger on the answer. what are the differences between a channel on a yamaha pm1000 and a yamaha m1532. it seems like you always see pm1000 channels racked up and raved about but not too much on the 1532...i have an m1532 and love it, but i'm wondering if i'm missing out on something with the pm.... i already know some of the obvious things, different eq points, more sends on the 1532, more steps on the pre of the 1000, but, are the preamps the same? are the program/master channels the same? any thoughts on sound? what gives??
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear Head

anyone?
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Head

I just sold my 1532... I already miss it, even though it was no longer used...

The PM1000's are a a discrete class-A design... Using Inductors in the EQ's.

The M1532, 1524 and 1516 were more of a Live version of the PM2000... (To me at least.)
The preamps were, as I call them, API clones.
They used Yamaha's own Discrete Opamp, with the same pin-out and casing size as the API 2520's. The rest of the channel strip used average ICs. The EQ was an active filter design.
Note:You're only using that discrete opamp circuit when the gain is set to -10 or higher. +4 has it's own input circuit!

There are Lots of transformers inside those beasts too!

Personally, I liked the 1532... I found a lot of character in it, it was something about the dark mellow tone of mine that I loved. (I did not recap mine, I liked it how it was!)

I was planning on gutting my 1532, and building boxes of 8 channel strips... but a buyer came along for the right price... and I could not say no!
Old 5th April 2013
Gear Head

thank you for the input! i did not know that about the gain setting.... can you explain more on the differences in the preamps between the pm1000 and the m1532. i agree, i love the console, i'm just trying to gain more knowledge about the yamahas.
Old 6th April 2013
Gear Head

Basically... The difference between the preamps is everything!

They are completely different designs, using completely different parts, working completely differently!

I recapped and modded a PM1000 for a client back in January... I did not have a chance to do any extensive listening with it... but the impression it left with me was not great.

My M1532 was dark.
The PM1000 sounded brittle.

Plus the EQ on the 1532 is FAR more versatile!
Old 8th April 2013
Gear Head

ok cool. thanks for the opinion and insight..... any insight on how to better or mod the program channels on the m1532 to make them the best they can be? from what i've heard so far that is kind of the achillie's heel if you will of these boards. thanks again, like i said i'm just trying to know as much i can about my console.
Old 9th April 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpilbeam View Post
ok cool. thanks for the opinion and insight..... any insight on how to better or mod the program channels on the m1532 to make them the best they can be? from what i've heard so far that is kind of the achillie's heel if you will of these boards. thanks again, like i said i'm just trying to know as much i can about my console.
The PM1000 channels do NOT sound anything like they do in the mixer vs. racked. The channels are awesome. The way the bussing and summing is done in the mixer itself is not so great. Do not confuse these two totally different applications.
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Head

does anyone out there know if the bussing and summing on the M1532 can be made to be better? or is this just a design flaw that cannot be remedied? i use my board for both tracking and summing mixes so any insight is welcomed!
Old 19th April 2013
Gear Head

Check out groupdiy there is a thread where a guy has modified the pgm channels by by-passing the summing amp and line amp! They are a very mod able console and sound fantastic! I dig the pre's and the ability to use it as an in line console is fantastic. Some guys are making api clone mic pre's from the channels. Joe Malone is a big fan of the pm2000 and also holds the m1532 in high regard! Transformer balanced in and output, discrete op amps, solid eq and phenomenal sound there a no brained if you can find them!
Old 20th April 2013
Gear Head

hey thanks, do you have a link to that thread?? i agree, i dig mine.....what have you done to your console?
Old 24th April 2013
Gear Head

http://www.groupdiy.com/the-lab/my-y...ajmvvqn5gurk96

Here is a link its right at the end of the thread!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search