Yamaha HS50M studio monitors discontinued?
Old 27th March 2013
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Yamaha HS50M studio monitors discontinued?

I just went to order a set of Yamaha HS50M studio monitors and was informed by Ryan M. at Sweetwater.com that Sweetwater was sold out and will not be getting more since Yamaha has discontinued the HS50M's. Has anyone else heard this? Sweetwater wasn't sure if another speaker was replacing it. Seems very odd given it's one of the best selling studio monitors. I do notice that HS50M's are on sale on many sites but I couldn't find any information about them being discontinued. The Yamaha site does not show any new models.
Old 27th March 2013
  #2
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

I spoke with my rep about the HS series about a week ago, and they did not have any plans at that moment in time to do away with the HS50M or HS80M, but he did inform me the HS50M is on a very long backorder right now.

Oddly at this very moment in time Sweetwater's own site lists them as in stock.

We have a pair in stock, unfortunately they are fully modified so we have no factory models!

War
Old 4th April 2013
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
Inceptic's Avatar
 

Interesting. I just checked the Sweetwater page right now, and it says:

"Sorry, the Yamaha HS50M is no longer available. We've left this page up for reference only..."

Does this make them vintage?
Old 4th April 2013
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
True story! Yamaha HS50M | Sweetwater.com Wonder what's going on?

I ended up ordering a pair from FrontEnd Audio and have been using them for the past two days. Love 'em! Will be holding on to them for dear life now...
Old 4th April 2013
  #5
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

I just emailed Yamaha directly to ask, should know tomorrow!

Seems odd, I know the HS80M is still going strong.

We rarely sell the 50 though, so maybe it wasn't that good of a seller for them overall.

War
Old 4th April 2013
  #6
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

As an update, Yamaha's initial response from their order fulfillment center is that they have not been told it's officially gone and they are under the impression more inventory is coming.

That is all I know, they aren't real sure maybe...!

War
Old 14th April 2013
  #7
Gear interested
 

Hello all ,
Well the new line up will be out in July ... HS5 , HS7 and HS8 . The HS8 seems like it's an improvement on the HS80m's . Seems a bit more linear .
Regards .
Old 10th May 2013
  #8
Gear interested
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I spoke with my rep about the HS series about a week ago, and they did not have any plans at that moment in time to do away with the HS50M or HS80M, but he did inform me the HS50M is on a very long backorder right now.

Oddly at this very moment in time Sweetwater's own site lists them as in stock.

We have a pair in stock, unfortunately they are fully modified so we have no factory models!

War
Hi, was wondering, what will than happen to the bulk of people who have already paid to backorder the HS50M already as I am one of these people. I have actually waited for 2 and a half months already. When i made the purchase at the shop, they told me that I might have to wait for 2 weeks for the order to come by. I was fine it waiting for 2 weeks so I paid up front, got the receipt and left. Called them 2 weeks later and they said it havn't arrived yet. Called 1 month later and still... no news. Called them recently and now they said it was discontinued and the HS5 might come in around June-July...

So after waiting this long...

Will I be forced to get the HS5 and make a top-up?
Old 28th May 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Glenn Bucci's Avatar
Well with claimed better amps, woofer, tweeter, and quieter what's not to love?
Old 28th May 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
NYCruiser's Avatar
They probably got a hold of a zen pro mod and decided to incorporate it into the new line!
Old 30th May 2013
  #11
Gear interested
 
adamspade.com's Avatar
Well, I'm sure the new ones are great. But I just ordered a new pair of HS50m's for $300 on Amazon. For the price... I'll take the good old proven to work models and keep $100 to buy other gear. They are going to look great next to my mixcubes. ha!
Old 31st May 2013
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamspade.com View Post
Well, I'm sure the new ones are great. But I just ordered a new pair of HS50m's for $300 on Amazon. For the price... I'll take the good old proven to work models and keep $100 to buy other gear.
That's how I feel about my recent purchase of the new, "classic" HS50m's. The HS7's (6.5" woofers) seem attractive for being able to hear more low end, but maybe not for double the price ($600/pr).
Old 31st May 2013
  #13
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

They are officially replaced by the HS5, those start shipping in a few days it seems. Yamaha told me today they believe ours will be on the way as of tomorrow is all I know.

On the electronics / mod side, I just don't know what has changed and we are eager to crack them open to know.

War
Old 31st May 2013
  #14
Jai guru deva om
 
warhead's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsuro View Post
Hi, was wondering, what will than happen to the bulk of people who have already paid to backorder the HS50M already as I am one of these people. I have actually waited for 2 and a half months already. When i made the purchase at the shop, they told me that I might have to wait for 2 weeks for the order to come by. I was fine it waiting for 2 weeks so I paid up front, got the receipt and left. Called them 2 weeks later and they said it havn't arrived yet. Called 1 month later and still... no news. Called them recently and now they said it was discontinued and the HS5 might come in around June-July...

So after waiting this long...

Will I be forced to get the HS5 and make a top-up?
I do not know, you could ask them for your money back if you don't want the new HS5. Seems odd to treat you this way.

War
Old 31st May 2013
  #15
ILL
Gear maniac
 
ILL's Avatar
 

@warhead

Really looking forward to hearing what you think. I'm currently deciding between the HS80/HS8 and Event 2030s but can't really listen to all of them side by side.
Old 1st June 2013
  #16
Gear interested
 
Passerati's Avatar
 

Hi!
First post here. I've picked up a pair of Hs5 yesterday, came home quite late next to midnight. Planned to only unpack then sleep but been stuck for almost three hours now, playing records.

Thought about buy Hs8s in time but like the sound of it alone. Anyway I'm tuned in for more info about Yamaha Hs series!
Old 1st June 2013
  #17
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL View Post
@warhead

Really looking forward to hearing what you think. I'm currently deciding between the HS80/HS8 and Event 2030s but can't really listen to all of them side by side.

20/30's will be a level up from them (They are a big improvement over HS80m for example in pretty much every area.)
Old 1st June 2013
  #18
ILL
Gear maniac
 
ILL's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
20/30's will be a level up from them (They are a big improvement over HS80m for example in pretty much every area.)
Thanks, that's what I figured too. The "problem" is that I can buy the HS80 for ~530e, the HS8 for about 680 and the 2030s for ~1000.
Old 1st June 2013
  #19
ECM
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL View Post
Thanks, that's what I figured too. The "problem" is that I can buy the HS80 for ~530e, the HS8 for about 680 and the 2030s for ~1000.

Yes, they are not really the same competition for each other, big price difference, bit unfair to compare. You should take a look at the Adam F7 to consider with the new HS8.
Old 19th July 2015
  #20
Here for the gear
Why exactly is the event 2030 better than the hs8 in sound?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
MikeyBFromP.C. / So much gear, so little time!
3
captainwam / So much gear, so little time!
8

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Search