The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR22 vs MR816 preamp?
Old 17th March 2013
Here for the gear

Steinberg UR22 vs MR816 preamp?

Im looking for a interface with a good preamp alreeady built in i would like a usb one(even though the mr816 is firewire) but i wanted to know if those 2 interfaces have the same quality in their preamps? I am open to take opinions on other preamps as well im looking at around $600 for the interface though(upgrading from mbox 2 mini) thanx in advance
Old 15th February 2014
Here for the gear

ive had the mr816x for several years.ive had so many problems in windows with drivers and firewire etc...ive thought about selling it 1k times but i went to guitar center and grabbed ur22. from what i understand its the same exact pres which have been compared to rme fireface. the unit is great.sounds amazing but there is a usb hum without power conditioner as per usual..its talked about on the forums here...i would go for it if i were you..there's not to much to complain about at that price and quality.
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Maniac

If you have issues with firewire, the implementation on your computer is usually to blame. The firewire cable itself can also be an issue. Bypassing the onboard firewire and using one of the addons approved to work with PT does the trick for most cards. I have a MR816x and a SIIG firewire card.. with absolutely no issues. Drivers are stable (working flawlessly for me) and the soundcard is square biz.

However... USB is convenient. Dont know if the pres are exactly the same but I do not recall any complaints.
Old 15th February 2014
More cowbell!

Most common problem with Firewire on windows is people using anything other than a separate TI Firewire card. Anything else cant deal with it. I have the MR816x, use with with my own build Windows DAW and Sonar, Cubase, Ableton, no problems at all. The 816 Preamps keep up with my Buzz and Pacifica preamps well (clean), and the conversion is good--not as good as my Lynx Aurora, but still totally use-able. It is also great for taking to live gigs, rehearsals, etc. I found my 816 used for an insane price, so a little patience really saves a lot of scratch. Love it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search