The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spiral Groove Studio One vs PSI A21-M
Old 21st November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible T View Post
Cool, thanks for clearing that up!

I see you're in London, did you decide on which amp to go with for a pair, seeing as the shipping and import costs from the US will probably hinder the Parasound A21 for me? There must be an equivalent here in the UK right?
There are Parasound dealers in the UK, I picked my own A23, the A21s little sibling, up from EBAY virtually unused it's box for about 600 there's an A21 just gone on EBAY for 1100 from Warwick, pick up only.
Old 4th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
The Canalis guy tells me that even the standard Animas have better parts on their crossovers than the Spiral Grooves. And yes, the other one is a hifi upgrade.
Noooo. Absolutely false. Who told you this? A hi-fi pimp?

The Spiral Groove Studio One speaker line branding and look was my idea and I am the source here, please shoot me an email on any of this ****. [email protected]

Facts: The Canalis Anima and the Spiral Groove Studio One are IDENTICAL except the color and badge AND we break in the SGS1 for 7-10 days at high volume. Canalis Anima are to be sold to hi fi people, SGS1 are to be sold only to studios.

It was my sense that our world needed black, and I wanted to provide the service to you, to break these in so they are ready to go. This takes time and effort to do properly and carefully. Hi-Fi people buying the Canalis Anima are going to sit there and smoke a cigar for a month as they break in ... we need to work NOW. No other dealer does this. So ... the Canalis Anima will sound thin and tight for a VERY long time. Quality caps and drivers that move a lot need break in. SGS1 is ready to go after you get the set up ... and they get slightly better over time.

---

The CS can be done in the SGS1 black look. It has a very heavy metal base and better components in the crossover. No expense was spared approach. This is an upgrade, but not something you need to mix. I was happy with the old Anima that had a -3 at 63 in birch. The bamboo is now -3 at 44 now and far more quiet.
Old 4th December 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
There are Parasound dealers in the UK, I picked my own A23, the A21s little sibling, up from EBAY virtually unused it's box for about 600 there's an A21 just gone on EBAY for 1100 from Warwick, pick up only.
The A23 is thin and tight as compared to the A21 ... it's really not an amp that I can recommend unless your speakers are bloated. The Parasound A21 once broken in is about as nice as you could want. Bryston has nothing on this amp, except they cost more and have a more robust chassis. The tone? Parasound A21 over Bryston SST always. The Parasound A21 can be had in the US for under $1750 from some.

If you want to go on the cheap the Emotiva stuff is class AB and thus a bit 'brown sound' from the AB distortion, but the frequency balance is better than the thin A23. XPA-200 is a deal at $400.
Old 4th December 2013
Lives for gear

Gah! All this talk about Parasound A21 in a thread titled "Spiral Groove Studio One vs. PSI A21-M" makes my head spin
Old 4th December 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Noooo. Absolutely false. Who told you this? A hi-fi pimp?

The Spiral Groove Studio One speaker line branding and look was my idea and I am the source here, please shoot me an email on any of this ****. [email protected]

Facts: The Canalis Anima and the Spiral Groove Studio One are IDENTICAL except the color and badge AND we break in the SGS1 for 7-10 days at high volume. Canalis Anima are to be sold to hi fi people, SGS1 are to be sold only to studios.

It was my sense that our world needed black, and I wanted to provide the service to you, to break these in so they are ready to go. This takes time and effort to do properly and carefully. Hi-Fi people buying the Canalis Anima are going to sit there and smoke a cigar for a month as they break in ... we need to work NOW. No other dealer does this. So ... the Canalis Anima will sound thin and tight for a VERY long time. Quality caps and drivers that move a lot need break in. SGS1 is ready to go after you get the set up ... and they get slightly better over time.

---

The CS can be done in the SGS1 black look. It has a very heavy metal base and better components in the crossover. No expense was spared approach. This is an upgrade, but not something you need to mix. I was happy with the old Anima that had a -3 at 63 in birch. The bamboo is now -3 at 44 now and far more quiet.
Only repeating what I was told by the UK distributor of Canalis. To my own surprise I might add, as I also assumed they were identical.

Nice to know the Spirals get broken in. Now if there was only a demo pair floating around London to try out, as I am not really in the position to shell out the full asking, perhaps find I don't want to keep and then send them back over the water, ending up with a feisty postage and customs bill. I could only justify these if I were to sell my PSI A21's to foot the bill, and that is not something I would do lightly.....
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Head

Can the Studio One be wall-mounted? If so, what wall-mounting bracket does it need?
Old 23rd April 2015
Gear Maniac
So I recently fired my Animas back up after trying some other speakers for a while, and I think I finally *get* them and my mixes are translating better than ever. I ended up selling the Classs D Audio amp I was using with them last year, so I bought an Emotiva x-Mini just to give them a try again. Now that I'm sticking with them I'm looking into a more permanent solution. My memory of how they sounded last year with the Class D Audio was that there was more clarity - where you could reach out and touch individual elements, but that there was not enough bass. The Emotiva seems less clear but currently these speakers have more bass than I remember, to the point where I clearly don't need a sub. Brian, you said a while back:

"1. The amp is a huge deal. Any amp will be revealed more than you can imagine. These little speakers are lower distortion than the 3 ways I use, and that means very, very low. I like clean tube amps so I prefer the A21, with it's 10W of Class A, but it's too much $ for some, so the Class D has been offered. I don't personally like class D harmonic content in ANY class D amp, but this is a useful amp that many people like. However, if you want more low end, it's not the best choice. The class D has more mids than you will need in a rock setting, IMO."

Why would a class D amp have less bass? Looking at the freqency response graphs for all of these amps generally show that they're pretty much flat across the spectrum. Is is something particular to these speakers that makes the Class D have less bass? Ideally I could get the bass of the Emotiva with the clarity of the Class D Audio. Maybe stepping up to the XPA-200 would achieve that? Thanks!
Old 23rd April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammon2004 View Post
Why would a class D amp have less bass? Looking at the freqency response graphs for all of these amps generally show that they're pretty much flat across the spectrum. Is is something particular to these speakers that makes the Class D have less bass? Ideally I could get the bass of the Emotiva with the clarity of the Class D Audio. Maybe stepping up to the XPA-200 would achieve that? Thanks!
If I may speculate, sometimes this can be attributed to the difference in damping factor between two amplifiers. The higher the damping factor (the lower the output impedance) of a given amplifier, the more control the amp has over the LF driver. This will control (damp) the tendency for the driver to ring after the impulse, leading to a drier sounding bass which, subjectively and actually, is less bass.

I have heard of instances where people have installed a low value resistor (like 1 ohm) in line between one leg of the speaker wire and the speaker to lower the damping factor, reducing the control the amp has over the speaker and increasing apparent bass.
📝 Reply