The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Distressors Stereo linking
Old 29th October 2003
Gear Head

Distressors Stereo linking

Hi!

I am planning on getting 2 distressors. These would be my general purpose outboard compressors for tracking, reamping and mixing. I read that they are very flexible and warm sounding and pretty versatile.

Does anyone obtained good result using them in stereo link? For instance with drum over head, room mics or any stereo material...

Empirical Labs mentions that they usually use 2 following serials device to couple them. Should I be worried with a recent one and a three years old for linking?

Any comments on these compressors are welcomed, but they seem to be a standard in the industry.

Old 29th October 2003
Gear Nut

I only have one but i love it.

There are two modifications for the distressors that i know of, one is to improve the imaging when using stereo link.I think it is recommened.

The other gets you a nuked 1176 type sound(all buttons in) when you are on ratio 1:1, or on all the EL8 ratios as well for a different distressor sound, it's purty cool.
Old 30th October 2003
Gear Maniac

I use a pair of Distressors (with both mods) for stereo everyday. Even with the stereo image link you have to set all the controls with care. I like them a lot on the guitar bus and sometimes they can work great on the whole mix. A lot of people say that they don't link up well, but I've had great results using the HP & Link set on the Detector and using Dist2. It can really warm up and tighten a stereo source. I know there are better units out there for this purpose, but it can work IMO.
Old 30th October 2003
member no 666

I'm quite fond of a pair of EL-8X's [the ones with the "Brit" and "Image" mod] for things like rooms, and drum subs within the context of a mix... I still don't think they track well enough to use them over a 2 mix buss... but then again I have a pair of Trakkers too (so I'm spoiled)
Old 30th October 2003
Gear Head

Thanks!

What about the idea of having 2 Distressors, one new and one with a good 3 years of intense use?

Do you think there might a noticeable difference when I link them together?

For some gear, usage and time alters the sound and reaction of components drastically...
Old 29th September 2004
Gear Addict

I'd like to resurrect this thread and post the same question. What about linking Distressors that are not close in serials and do not have the stereo mod? I can dig not wanting that on a mix buss but what about drum OH's or any sub stereo section?
Old 29th September 2004
Gear Maniac

I have two Distressors that don't have the mods and are about a year old from one another.
I use them linked for drum subs quite ocassionally and for something like that, I think it's fine. You do have to be very careful to match settings and gain structure but I understand that's the case even for the modded ones.
Just make sure one isn't smashing harder than the other and match the output of the two with the output gain.
In the end mine usually aren't set the same to get a fairly "useable" image (calibration issue, I guess)

It takes a some tweaking to get 'em to be somewhat stereoish.

-Scotty

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search