The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is it hard on the mixer to turn it off while having phantom power engaged?
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear
Is it hard on the mixer to turn it off while having phantom power engaged?

Just wondering if it's worth the while turning all the phantom power off before I kill the power, or if it really doesn't matter, and to know why would be cool. (also, is it better to turn off as much as possible be fore shutting down, such as all buttons/leds, rolling off all preamp gain, etc?)

Thanks.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

I'm not sure if it matters but I always turn phantom off when I'm not using it or powering down for the day.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Always turn off phantom first, especially if there is an input transformer, but regardless.
Old 3rd March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
I'm not sure if it matters but I always turn phantom off when I'm not using it or powering down for the day.
+1...always...
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Head

A power down procedure for your mixer should be in its manual, generally in the first few pages.

It's good practice to turn down the mic pres and turn off phantom power before disconnecting mics or turning off the mixer. This is because suddenly cutting off power to a condenser mic can cause a "spike," and damage it's components slightly. When you turn off phantom power using the switch it takes a few seconds to power down, avoiding spikes. Just turning off the mixer won't always cause damage this way, but it's good to be safe.

Another reason is if someone visits, and plugs a ribbon mic into the mixer. If you didn't warn them that phantom power was on (because you didn't think about it because it's always on) their nice shiny new ribbon mic will be fried.

If there aren't mics connected, turn the phantom power off first anyway (not sure why it would be on in the first place though if no mics are involved). I'd imagine that you're probably wearing out the mixer faster by having the phantom power jolt on suddenly every time you turn on the mixer.

So respect your gear! You'll get a longer lifespan out of it, and you'll be used to good power-down procedures (which are strictly enforced in most pro studios) which is good if you ever want to intern somewhere!
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Nut

And also when connecting/disconnecting mic cables. I remember the problem they had on the old Tascam FW-1884. Connecting or disconnecting a mic with phantom power on stood a very good chance of destroying the op-amp on the preamp input. In that case it was more a design flaw - but why take chances?

Don
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search