The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lazy Boy
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Nut

Lazy Boy

Strange question, but it is important to me.

I've been thinking a lot about the type of chair I want for my wee studio. It's got to be something comfortable... So comfortable that I don't want to leave.

Have any of you tried a lazy boy or something similar at your mixing desk? I'm considering buying one...
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

No one at this forum cannot ever in a life time tell you what chair you like.
Put your bottom in some and pick the one that makes you feel what you wanna feel.

I just WISH I had your problems man
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by natonative View Post
Strange question, but it is important to me.

I've been thinking a lot about the type of chair I want for my wee studio. It's got to be something comfortable... So comfortable that I don't want to leave.

Have any of you tried a lazy boy or something similar at your mixing desk? I'm considering buying one...
working at a computer or working at a console you need a chair that will support you while you are sitting up. You need a firm chair, not a soft chair. A recliner might be OK for lying back and watching TV, but if you have to perch on the edge of the cushion to get at the keyboard or the knobs, why bother?

unless you are going to lie on your back like an astronaut and have special monitors built to hover above you, you will end up hurting your back sitting in a soft chair. After a long day of recording, what is truly "comfortable" is support, not softness or reclining.

a task chair, office chair, Aeron etc are what people use - and with good reason. They not only give support, but they adjust to different heights and so on, so you are not sitting the SAME all day. Imogen Heap sits on one of those exercise balls.

recording engineering kind of encourages couch-potatoism as it is. Don't make it any worse.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Dunno. Depends on your specific workflow, but sounds comfy if you figure it out.

For me, it would never work. Most recliners sit WAY lower than I could tolerate and still get anything done. And mobility could be an issue. Of course, you could always put it on rollers and blocks to add height. Heck, add a motor. Maybe a 6 cylinder big block, Hemi, the works.

Seems like one of those "This is what other people think audio engineers/musicians do" kind of pictures in my mind.
Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Guru

If you work with a laptop in your lap and don't need to be perfectly in the image of your speaker monitors it might be otherwise. Otherwise, it would be not so good I think.
Old 3rd March 2013
http://www.ultimatebackstore.com/hermanmiller/Embody-Chair/pid_1601?cid=35406^embody^NXT
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Man you would have loved this chair. We made a few of them in the late 90's.
It's full of audiophile grade speakers.
There's a mid range and tweeter in each wing, and 4 woofers in the bass.
It was super comfy and sounded awesome!!

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search