The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Monitor suggestion
Old 2nd March 2013
  #1
Gear Head
 

Monitor suggestion

Hello everyone, I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I've been doing research for about a month now on Studio Monitors, and can't seem to figure out which would suit my needs. I would love to be able to go to a music den and A/B different monitors, biter from where I live that's about a good three hour drive to the closest which only carries Pioneer monitors (no thank you).

I've read as many guides and reviews on this forum as my mind can handle, but still can't make a decision.

For starters my budget at the time being is 400$ USD (I am always willing to save for higher quality though).

I make mostly electronic mixes, and I never stick with a single genre. I enjoy creating some house and DnB, though quite frequently end up creating some Hardstyle and trance. I also wish to be able to mix recordings from acoustic /electric guitars properly as well.

I guess I am looking for a great monitor pair, active, that has a very flat and uncolored sound. Linear, and basically a monitor that will allow me to create pure mixes for a multitude of listening environments when finished.

I also need a good recommendation on a subwoofer as well, I iny know car audio in the subwoofer department, and almost nothing when it comes to studio mixing.

Lastly, no need for the lecture on acoustic treatment, I've already been working on that (this is a near-field studio in my bedroom). I have a separate budget for acoustic treatment that I plan on using to create an ideal studio in my bedroom (not much room in the house for another bare location sad to say).

I love the forums and thanks a lot guys!
Old 2nd March 2013
  #2
Quote:
For starters my budget at the time being is 400$ USD (I am always willing to save for higher quality though).
Then that is what you should do, Save until you can get into the $1000 plus price range. Studio monitors are the most important piece, besides your room being tuned.
Do not skimp on your monitoring chain as this is where you make judgements and assessments on your mixes. If you are not hearing the true sound, then your ears will tell you to do things to the mix that may not be good for the mix.

CJ
Old 2nd March 2013
  #3
Hello,Leshyrus!Congratulations for your first post. Tell me please which kind of monitors would you preffer?5's,6's or 8's?
Old 2nd March 2013
  #4
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Then that is what you should do, Save until you can get into the $1000 plus price range. Studio monitors are the most important piece, besides your room being tuned.
Do not skimp on your monitoring chain as this is where you make judgements and assessments on your mixes. If you are not hearing the true sound, then your ears will tell you to do things to the mix that may not be good for the mix.

CJ
Completely agreed, I definitely will be saving much more money for a quality pair!
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
Hello,Leshyrus!Congratulations for your first post. Tell me please which kind of monitors would you preffer?5's,6's or 8's?
Thank you very much! I was really looking into 6's or 8's, I know I would need to drive the bass to the sub to keep the rights from attempting to push the frequencies put themselves, though I honestly am not too sure on the different in midrange quality between the two ;/
Old 2nd March 2013
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering View Post
Then that is what you should do, Save until you can get into the $1000 plus price range. Studio monitors are the most important piece, besides your room being tuned.
Do not skimp on your monitoring chain as this is where you make judgements and assessments on your mixes. If you are not hearing the true sound, then your ears will tell you to do things to the mix that may not be good for the mix.

CJ
+1

Having stacks of 400 dollar microphones and gear is not sexy....
Old 2nd March 2013
  #6
If your studio is in your bedroom I think 8 inch monitors will not be suited.Also,I think that your current budget is too small for decent monitors.
Old 2nd March 2013
  #7
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
If your studio is in your bedroom I think 8 inch monitors will not be suited.Also,I think that your current budget is too small for decent monitors.
I can save up more cash, my total limit in the end would be at the 1200-1500 mark.
Old 2nd March 2013
  #8
Uhm...Dynaudio bm6a Mk II,Adam A7x or Neumann Kh 120A.It depends on what kind of sound do you look for.More detailed,more neutral etc...
Old 2nd March 2013
  #9
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
Uhm...Dynaudio bm6a Mk II,Adam A7x or Neumann Kh 120A.It depends on what kind of sound do you look for.More detailed,more neutral etc...
I'm looking more for a detailed sound, a monitor that can really produce all of the sounds in my mix as is so I know what the end product would truely sound like uncolored. I want as much detail in the individual sounds as possible without having the monitor really favor a specific frequency range.
Old 2nd March 2013
  #10
Music 1
Guest
Your budget is geared for Equator d5's.. Buy them . add subs later.
Old 2nd March 2013
  #11
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music 1 View Post
Your budget is geared for Equator d5's.. Buy them . add subs later.
I definitely like the frequency range on the d5's. Quick question, how do you feel about them used in coalition to the ADAM A77X's? I'm interested in the A77X's low frequency ranges whilst continuing to produce a detailed sound and I love from what I have read, the d5's midrange and top-range response. Would they work well together? If so I can eliminate the sub altogether.
Old 2nd March 2013
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehsyrus View Post
I'm looking more for a detailed sound, a monitor that can really produce all of the sounds in my mix as is so I know what the end product would truely sound like uncolored. I want as much detail in the individual sounds as possible without having the monitor really favor a specific frequency range.
Then Adam A7x would be the best choice for you.SUPER-DETAILED!
Old 2nd March 2013
  #13
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
Then Adam A7x would be the best choice for you.SUPER-DETAILED!
Awesome! What is your opinion on the A77X? Or possibly using it in conjunction with two A7X monitors to emphasize the mid?
Old 2nd March 2013
  #14
Adam A77x will be my next monitors very soon,so...If you have the money to buy A77x then buy them.Forget about A7x.You don't need to use them in conjuction.A77x (finally I heard them) are super-detailed and have a tight low end.I think you will never need a sub for them.But,I don't know if A77x will be suited for your room.Dimensions?
Old 2nd March 2013
  #15
.

You can never win.

I have a $20k monitoring setup...but I'm completely burnt on making music.

Life is crazy.

heh

.
Old 2nd March 2013
  #16
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
Adam A77x will be my next monitors very soon,so...If you have the money to buy A77x then buy them.Forget about A7x.You don't need to use them in conjuction.A77x (finally I heard them) are super-detailed and have a tight low end.I think you will never need a sub for them.But,I don't know if A77x will be suited for your room.Dimensions?
Perfect square, 15'x15'. I am doing the calculations for acoustic treatment at the moment and bass trap placement. I'm going to be buying my own house within the next three years so at that time I will probably build a studio from scratch, but at the moment I'm in a decently sized room (for my purposes at least for the time being).

Thanks again for the help guys, it really is appreciated.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
WATYF / So Much Gear, So Little Time
12
FlabbaFan / Low End Theory
3
Tibbon / Geekslutz Forum
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump