The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1176 attack
Old 1st March 2013
Lives for gear

1176 attack

The 1176 was used for added aggression on Van Halen 1 by producer Ted T.
Does anyone use a 1176 in their signal chain tracking rock guitar ? Is it a relatively slower or faster comp when compared to others? What's attack time you generally start with when tracking distorted Marshall amps?
Old 1st March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777 View Post
The 1176 was used for added aggression on Van Halen 1 by producer Ted T.
Does anyone use a 1176 in their signal chain tracking rock guitar ? Is it a relatively slower or faster comp when compared to others? What's attack time you generally start with when tracking distorted Marshall amps?
I am sure some heavy hitters will answer your question...but I record heavy guitars and don't compress them on the way in....

What Marshall are you using...what cab? What is your current signal chain...

So when I say, I record heavy...I am talking maximum gain...Microtech Gefell UM92.1S to either a PM2000 pre or another high-end pre and use room mics...heavily compressed but this can be done by a wide range of stereo compressors...

I realize that you cited Van Halen, but I think a variety of element went into achieving the sound....

I think this is an excellent question though and would love to hear someone else's input...
Old 1st March 2013
I don't use any compressor while tracking rock guitar.
Old 1st March 2013
Gear Addict

I've done the 1176 thing on guitar solo overdubs. It really helps the guitar sound like its screaming, especially when you start pushing over 10db of GR. You honestly have to set the attack and release while the guitar is in the track. There literally is no special setting. You basically turn the knobs until it sounds good TO YOU.

If I was tracking the guitar without any other instruments present with the compression printed on the way in, I'd start with the Attack all the way to the left (slowest) and Release all the way to the right (fastest). Then I'd strum a bit and start bringing the Attack more to the right until you start to hear the compressor "grab" the guitar, then back it off slightly. Release you dont want it to hang too long, so that it can't grab your next strum. Usually I'd end up with the release between 3 and 6 o clock.

Basically when you track with the 1176 I'd go for a light approach. Maybe 3db GR at most and make sure the compressor isn't "grabbing" the guitar, unless thats the sound you're going for.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

I use it on guitars, yes. Not for super-high gain stuff, generally (except maybe a lead part or solo), but on overdriven rhythm, it's great.

Attack time on the 1176 is FAST, no matter how you set the thing; it offers a fairly narrow selection, and they're all pretty dang quick. I tend to start with it set slowest, and tighten it up till things don't sound right. Seems to most often land right between about 10 and 12o'clock or so most of the time.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Distorted guitars are pretty compressed already by nature, but using a comp on lead-y stuff is pretty common. I find setting the attack and release settings easier to figure out if I pick up the guitar and play it myself so I can tell how the settings are affecting the feel.
Old 2nd March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by isawsasquatch View Post

Attack time on the 1176 is FAST, no matter how you set the thing; it offers a fairly narrow selection, and they're all pretty dang quick. I tend to start with it set slowest, and tighten it up till things don't sound right. Seems to most often land right between about 10 and 12o'clock or so most of the time.
Took me YEARS to hear the difference on the attack dial! - not easy to tune into initially IMHO.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Took me YEARS to hear the difference on the attack dial! - not easy to tune into initially IMHO.
Exactly. But the limited range the 1176 offers presents as close to a "fool proof" unit as you'll find. I always tell my interns, if in doubt, err on the side of slower, as you'll come across fewer envelope weirdness gremlins that way.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

I'm one of those using the 1176 always on fastest release (IMO even more "foolproof :D). The attack doesn't really feel as an attack itself but more like a "clarity" control; the slower the attack, the more clarity the signal has in the context of the 1176 sound. But generally my attacks end up on the slower side (~9-10 o'clock).

With judicious (in my case, the aforementioned) use of 1176 on an electric guitar (even a heavily distorted one) one can kinda make the amp sound go "up to eleven". Works great especially on solos which really need to stand up above the rest of the guitars.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

i havent recorded much guitar with it, but if you turn the 1176 (the newer double ones, im not sure about the LN models) all the way to the fastest, then after that to where it "clicks" it turns it into a line amp and disengages the compressor. pretty fun to experiment with.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

I do all the time lately. I sum all the mics on the amp via the console to a an 1176 and print to a single trk. Love it.
Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spede View Post
I'm one of those using the 1176 always on fastest release (IMO even more "foolproof :D). The attack doesn't really feel as an attack itself but more like a "clarity" control; the slower the attack, the more clarity the signal has in the context of the 1176 sound. But generally my attacks end up on the slower side (~9-10 o'clock).

With judicious (in my case, the aforementioned) use of 1176 on an electric guitar (even a heavily distorted one) one can kinda make the amp sound go "up to eleven". Works great especially on solos which really need to stand up above the rest of the guitars.
very cool
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search