The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low End Lunchbox 500 Series Preamps
Old 1st March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyclash34 View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a High End Low End debate, I just want to get the best sounding lunchbox I can without getting super expensive.

After some further research, I'm going to be starting with two Warm Audio Wa12 pres instead of the GAP 573's, and getting a nicer Neve style preamp in the future. The JDK EQ does look really awesome, maybe I'll do the Lindell Audio LX7 compressor module and the JDK EQ, then get two nicer Neve style pres in a few months.

What do you guys think?
sounds perfect-its what Id go for anyway if I went lunchbox
Old 1st March 2013
If you're on a really tight budget for a 500 compressor, don't forget about the Foote Pico. It sounds like it should cost 3x's more than it does IMHO.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
The 511 is a "Real" Neve pre in that it is made by Rupert Neve, but when people use the term "Neve Style Pre", I take that to mean the sound/style of the Neve 1073 and the 511 is not an attempt in anyway to sound like the 1073. Rupert Neve has made it clear in several interviews that he is constantly evolving his designs and not attempting to replicate his work of the past.

So, if you want a "Neve Style Pre", the 511 is definitely not it, in the sense I believe that comment is intended. "Neve Style Pre" in 500 series format, would come in the form of BAE, Heritage Audio, Avedis, Great River and Golden Age Project.
However, it's said to have some of the flavor the their vintage designs have/had.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lala Land View Post
The Tonelux range is quite Reasonable
The Tonelux V4 Roadster was reduced from $500 to $300 (I got it for $270) and the Ext (4 more slots) is now $179 ($160 for me). Regarding the $300 Lindell stuff, one potential kit builder said why bother building a $250 kit with these prices.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear
lindell pre

do you know the lindell pre has the tranni the neve carnhill copied ?

You seem to be buying based on talk are you listening to sound clips or auditioning the units ?

I am looking at this too so I am curious.

kcat
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear

Vintech 573?

May be a bit more $$

-e
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog View Post
do you know the lindell pre has the tranni the neve carnhill copied ?

You seem to be buying based on talk are you listening to sound clips or auditioning the units ?

I am looking at this too so I am curious.

kcat
I've heard the sound clips and presentations. I buy stuff from Chris of keyboards at Alto Music and he was personally in the next booth to Mr. Lindell at NAMM and he thinks highly of him. He's designed a lot of good parts and contracted to put them together inexpensively in China. I'm new to using external hardware for processing. I'm certainly no expert. In the past, I would just go from RME hardware into Samplitude and call it done. I'm just learning the hardware pre-processing so I don't have much experience yet. My lunch box has a Lachapell 583s and a Lindell EQ and Lindell Compressor. I also got a Mackie Blackbird to send drum tracks to my Babyface via ADAT. I also have an old Foxtex D824 I'm still liking more and more.
Old 2nd March 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgerules View Post
How a about the BLA Ateur!?
Everything I've heard from the Artuer is pedestrian..

look at RADIAL stuff...I'd bet dollars to donuts it would blow the BLA pre outta the water
Old 2nd March 2013
I bit the bullet on the Lindell Audio comp and EQ, everything I can find out them is positive, and in regards to the lack of mid control, I can get that in the box.

Has anyone used the chameleon labs 500 series Pre? They look to be a nice step up from the GAP with a similar neve style sound.
Old 2nd March 2013
Quote:
I bit the bullet on the Lindell Audio comp and EQ, everything I can find out them is positive, and in regards to the lack of mid control, I can get that in the box.

Has anyone used the chameleon labs 500 series Pre? They look to be a nice step up from the GAP with a similar neve style sound.
Nice to hear you're liking your units, I'm waiting for 2 PEX-500's to arrive at my local music store.
Old 2nd March 2013
That Vintech 573 looks amazing. Any pros of the Ma5 from Avedis? I've always heard positive things about Vintech.
Old 2nd March 2013
Lives for gear
500 comp low ratios?

I think the lindell stuff looks and sounds great (zenn video), but i was thinking of a multi purpose 6 slot. I have an apollo and would like some pres with transformers to compliment the apollo, 2 comps but i'd like lower than 4:1, i use a dbox so would like some lower ob comp coming back to the apollo for the print track and 2 nice eq's(tracking, mixing and for final print) too.

What reasonable 500 comps re out there neutral sounding that do lower ratio and what about 4 band 500 eq's with filters ? Whats out there
Thx!

Kcat
Old 3rd March 2013

I think Low End Lunchbox is an awesome name for a band.

(Do bands still exist?)

Old 3rd March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

I think Low End Lunchbox is an awesome name for a band.

(Do bands still exist?)

Instead of claiming it has "6 slots" say it has "6 sluts"
Old 3rd March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist View Post
Instead of claiming it has "6 slots" say it has "6 sluts"

haha

Old 3rd March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneartist View Post
He's designed a lot of good parts and contracted to put them together inexpensively in China ..
Are you sure about that? I thought they were being constructed in an Eastern European country .. Not that it really matters that much .. Lindell 500 series modules are still damn good deals ..
Old 4th March 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_subsonic View Post
Are you sure about that? I thought they were being constructed in an Eastern European country .. Not that it really matters that much .. Lindell 500 series modules are still damn good deals ..

I thought that's what he was saying in an interview. But the idea came across that the low cost was the result of less expensive labor - wherever it was.
Old 4th March 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

IGS makes them in Poland IIRC.

IGS Audio 500 modules
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear
lol, i like how these urban myths start.

didn't igs design them but they are made elsewhere.
Old 8th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog View Post
I think the lindell stuff looks and sounds great (zenn video), but i was thinking of a multi purpose 6 slot. I have an apollo and would like some pres with transformers to compliment the apollo, 2 comps but i'd like lower than 4:1, i use a dbox so would like some lower ob comp coming back to the apollo for the print track and 2 nice eq's(tracking, mixing and for final print) too.

What reasonable 500 comps re out there neutral sounding that do lower ratio and what about 4 band 500 eq's with filters ? Whats out there
Thx!

Kcat
So, I just completed my order for my first lunchbox. Already planning on the next one

I ultimately went with two Warm Audio Wa12 pres, the Lindell comp and EQ, and then an Alta Moda AM-25 4 band parametric and a Foote Control Pico 502 compressor without the optional transformer. I figured this would give me two very different sounding signal paths to work with, and allow me to go from fairly transparent to super colored. I'll have the pres and the Lindell units tomorrow, I'll post back with a full report!
Old 8th March 2013
just look at the credits page from indell's audio manual
Attached Thumbnails
Low End Lunchbox-lindell-audio-6x500credits.jpg  
Old 8th March 2013
The Lindell's came in this morning, haven't had a chance to put them through their paces yet, but one initial disappointment during the unboxing, one of the knobs on the eq fell off immediately. No big deal, just needed to tighten the set screw, but it wasn't the best first impression. I'll report back once I've used em.
Old 9th March 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
lol, i like how these urban myths start.

didn't igs design them but they are made elsewhere.
Really? Umm, I may not have been 100% bang on but I was near the mark and far from starting a "MYTH"
Old 9th March 2013
So the Wa12's are dope as hell. They make everything sound bigger. Favorable feelings regarding the Lindell comp, it's definitely got the 1176 vibe they advertised.

The EQ on the other hand, I think I got a dud. When I engage the eq, the signal drops by about 20 DB, even with both boosts all the way up and the cuts at 0. It's just not working correctly. I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer about the issue.

Still waiting on the Foote Pico 502, which should be here monday, and the AM-25 which will ship Monday.
Old 10th March 2013
Quote:
So the Wa12's are dope as hell. They make everything sound bigger. Favorable feelings regarding the Lindell comp, it's definitely got the 1176 vibe they advertised.

The EQ on the other hand, I think I got a dud. When I engage the eq, the signal drops by about 20 DB, even with both boosts all the way up and the cuts at 0. It's just not working correctly. I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer about the issue.

Still waiting on the Foote Pico 502, which should be here monday, and the AM-25 which will ship Monday.
Again, I have PM you about the easy PEX fix.
Old 10th March 2013
Lindell's customer service is fantastic, sure enough it was that trim pot. Everything is working well now, and both the eq and the comp are fantastic!!! So far, the warm audio and Lindell units have both been great buys. Can't wait for the foote compressor and alta monda modules to arrive!
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeah I got a Warm wa12 and wonder if you will want to upgrade to Neve at all. They sound so good. I still want a 500 series tracking compressor to just tame the source, not colour it. Looking forward to your thoughts on your compressors.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search