The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Who are your customers...?
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Who are your customers...?

Just curious to know what the client "makeup" is of people doing viable commercial endavours related to audio around here.

There are so many variations of businesses, and client-types...

- Artists paying to be recorded
- A&R / Record Labels paying for mixing/mastering services
- Bands paying for rehearsals
- People paying for media (CD-duplication, Glass Mastering, etc.)
- Ad Agencies hiring for Sound Design/Mixing or V.O.
- Television Post Production
- So many more...

After going on tour, I used to do freelance engineering and then post-production, so my clients were either recording musicians, then later, filmmakers/producers by way of the house.

Who are your clients?
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

a la garage band hopefuls and unsigned artists
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Clients that bought an Mbox (or something similar) that are frustrated trying to record a professional CD with it.
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

yeah, i got an couple SAE rap producers that come to me for my tracking/editing/mixing services...
Old 15th August 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by proxy View Post
- Artists paying to be recorded
= my nights and weekends. Typically album length projects, sometimes co-producing.

War
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Clients that bought an Mbox (or something similar) that are frustrated trying to record a professional CD with it.
I get alot of those, The use my room to record the drums, sometimes vocals and mixing (which I spend more time fixing clicks, pops, etc and making sense of the session).

With rappers is for vocals and mixing. (most "producers" I worked with they come with the beat already mixed or the give me the indivisual tracks)

Most of them are unsign artist doing demos or EP, but thank god I've been getting some albums for mixing.
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Mostly the self-release scene, although I'm trying to move more to mixing exclusively. It's tough to get just a "mix" project these days in the self-released scene, so being good at convincing people has become important.

My tactic is to mix ONE song for free if it's a project I want to mix and they have not decided to send it to me for mixing. I'll pry the tracks out of them and say "let me give it a try," and usually it's worlds better than what they would have mixed on their own. I will re-amp, use some outboard gear, and use buss-compression techniques that most home recordists don't do with their own bands. During the song, I'll put a couple of tones in there so they don't actually get the song scott-free. I am digressing here... but after all that... I usually try to convince them to cough up at LEAST $500 more for mastering elsewhere.

I also write on the side for film score sort of stuff, although that's not exactly a revenue stream. I enjoy my day job too much right now to go full-time w/ recording!
Old 15th August 2006
member no 666

Music that pleases me is recorded at our studio... those with money get first booking opportunities... those without money tend to be the first ones bumped for those with money but nothing gets recorded here unless we like the music [only studio I know where you have to submit a demo for consideration prior to being permitted to book time!!].
Old 15th August 2006
TEB
Gear Head

Multi-level marketers...excuse me, I mean network marketers. Mostly mastering and duplication, a little recording now and then. oh, and let's not forget high school bands and choirs. Yup...good times...

BTW...I just realized this is my first post here...been lurking for awhile now...hello everyone! I'm Troy...nice to be here...love what ya done with the place.

Last edited by TEB; 15th August 2006 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: forgot to introduce myself...
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

A bunch of crackhead, no talent, no money, can't show up on time, got a million excuses, loooooosers. Who wouldn't know a good mix if they heard one(or a bad one for that matter).

Oh wait, these are my friends.
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Bands that signed with major label
Gospel artists
Jazz Bands tha sponsor themselves
Indie bands that love what I do.
Record producers and arrangers.
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

Other musicians/producers
Corporations
Old 18th August 2006
Lives for gear

Full time mixers?

Field recordists?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search