The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who has f'd up a mic with phantom power? 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 14th August 2006
Gear Addict

Who has f'd up a mic with phantom power?

Turning on with gain up or turning off without turning phantom off or however else you can f- them up with phantom power? What did it do to the mic?
Old 14th August 2006
Lives for gear

ive heard of phantom power destroying ribbon mics on a few occasions, but not from popping it in....but from just the regular phantom power
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

$ .02

it's actually pretty rare but how many $1k mics do ya have to blow up to get pissed... it's always best to shut it down and wait a few before pullin cables...
BTW... i've never known anyone who blew a ribbon this way.... they are very susceptible to wind damage though...
Old 15th August 2006
Gear Maniac

never killed a microphone but i've kaboshed a few speakers and pissed off a few artists because i forgot to mute the channel.

heh
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear
Properly wired phantom with properly wired microphones has NEVER caused a problem.
Old 15th August 2006
Lives for gear

I know somebody whose ass't engineer re-patched a patchbay cable into a phantom-powered jack and blew the ribbon in a Royer. The good part is that only the ribbon needs replacing, so it's far from being a total loss.

As you plug in the patch cable, the 3 connection points are temporarily connected in the "wrong" way that fries a ribbon. <-- highly non-technical way of making a technical point.
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Addict

If you leave the phantom on and unplug the mic, you can damage it though, correct? That's what I've always thought. I've heard of damaged ribbons, but never heard whether people damage non-ribbons unplugging them with phantom on. Does this happen or is it just something that causes greater wear on the mic than necessary?
Old 16th August 2006
SRR
Gear Maniac

I was doing a live gig, and phantom was applied to a Shure 565, didn't blow it up, but the mic didn't work, I directed those on stage to another mic, while they were talking I ran up and down the channel to see what mistake was made, I saw phantom was pushed, but I knew in my heart that shouldn't have made a difference, while I turned phantom off and ta da, a working 565. We never were able to reproduce the problem with our other 565's.
Old 16th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by orksnork View Post
ive heard of phantom power destroying ribbon mics on a few occasions, but not from popping it in....but from just the regular phantom power
Hi

I agree with Mr Wittman's post... phantom power does not destroy any microphone... it's the sloppy maintenance of cables that might cause problems.

The 48v is applied to both sides of the microphone so that there is no voltage difference between them. If you put a voltmeter across pins 2 and 3 you'd get a reading very close to 0v (depending on the tolerance of the resistors).

If you have a bad mic cable with one side open circuit then there will be a potential of 48v, referenced to ground, across the mic.

But what would you blame... the mic cable or the phantom power?

Old 16th August 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

I agree with Mr Wittman's post... phantom power does not destroy any microphone...

But what would you blame... the mic cable or the phantom power?

I'd say to blame the cable for "depraved indifference" and prosecute the phantom for "carrying a concealed weapon".
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search