The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
where can i go to listen to new monitors before i buy (UK)
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Head

where can i go to listen to new monitors before i buy (UK)

Hi,

are there any UK based studio equipment shops with a lot of variety of monitors, with the ability to try them out before parting with cash?

thanks for any help
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Nut

where abouts are you based? I know DV in Romford have an enormous wall of monitors...
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Head
KMR Audio

1375 High Road,
Whetstone,
London,
N20 9LN

https://www.kmraudio.com/
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Head

Great thanks, will get in touch with the above (inc dv romford) when the time comes...

i'm midlands based but willing to travel.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by agonist View Post
Great thanks, will get in touch with the above (inc dv romford) when the time comes...

i'm midlands based but willing to travel.
There is a DV store in Birmingham and I have auditioned many monitors there. However, it's best to call them first to ensure they have the monitors in that you want to audition.

If you're willing to travel, KMR Audio is probably the best as they have a huge selection of monitors available to audition and demo at your own place.

Good luck.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

The best solution would be to try and arrange for you to audition the monitors in your own room.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Depends how much you're planning to pay. If you're buying serious monitors then KMR is the place to go. It's nice and quiet inside the shop. Beware of poor listening rooms and poor setups. Half the times I've gone to somewhere they have things arranged so that there's no possible way of making meaningful comparisons!
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

If you are planning a shorter trip to your nearest Digital Village, DO call them first. They might be willing to get certain monitors setup for you, even if they dont have it.

For example, back in 2011 when I was auditioning monitors, I called DV Bristol and asked if they had the Focal Solos, they said no, but they could get a pair in within 2 days for me to listen to, arranged a time and when I got there it was all setup alongside some other monitors.

For sheer range of monitors, especially the higher end ones, KMR Audio is hard to beat though. They may be more willing to let you demo a pair in your own studio too.

As others have said, always be mindful of the position of them and acoustics when listening outside your studio.
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_io View Post
KMR Audio

1375 High Road,
Whetstone,
London,
N20 9LN

https://www.kmraudio.com/

Also Funky-Junk.

If you are interested in quality monitors, manufacturers like PMC, ME-Geithain and, I think, Neumann K+H and ATC can bring monitors to you to hear in your own premises.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search