The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
How many bits is the average brickwalled song taking advantage of?
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Addict

What is the dynamic range of the average brickwalled song equivalent to in bit depth?

Edit: Reworded topic title

Sorry in advance if this question is totally off.

I recall reading that the typical vinyl record has a maximum dynamic range roughly equivalent to 12 bits. Given that most modern albums feature more dynamic masters on their vinyl releases, I'm wondering how many bits are really necessary to recreate the dynamic range of the typical squashed modern release.
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichascolors View Post
Edit: Reworded topic title

Sorry in advance if this question is totally off.

I recall reading that the typical vinyl record has a maximum dynamic range roughly equivalent to 12 bits. Given that most modern albums feature more dynamic masters on their vinyl releases, I'm wondering how many bits are really necessary to recreate the dynamic range of the typical squashed modern release.
Modern masters average aprox 6db dynamic range = 1bit dynamic range, they probably also average around aprox 20% thd.
Old 11th February 2013
Here for the gear

1bit = 6dB DNR

So depending on how you define the dynamic range of modern albums you can calculate it yourself.
You could also do a listening test and use a bit crusher turning the bit depth down until you hear a difference.
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

People throw around a lot of rms numbers, but it's often unclear what they mean by them.

Most modern pop stuff I've run through a meter shows a maximum rms of around -8db which is not the same as the overall average for the track being -8db. It just means that the average over a given very short span of the HOTTEST sections reaches a maximum of -8db. Now, some are hotter, some are quieter, but after putting up 30 or so modern pop radio hits, this is what I've noticed.

Probably fairly safe to say, though, that much of popular music gets crushed to a point where overall averages even with the quieter sections don't dip down too far below -12db no matter what. On the high side, getting an overall track average of -6 means the rms meter would show much hotter... which I've yet to see on anything in top 40, anyway... I'm sure there's some stuff on beatport which pushes beyond.

Even if it did, though, unless the track just never breathes at all, that means there are parts that are louder and parts that are quieter than that... so still needs more range to cover it.

So... overall, I'd say that 2 bits covers the bulk of what you're hearing with the need for more in sections with breakdowns, etc.

Something like crest factor might give a more accurate view of bit depth required.
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssleazy View Post
You could also do a listening test and use a bit crusher turning the bit depth down until you hear a difference.
8-bit seemed to cover it based on using bit crushers. (Including with dithering.)
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

I have to say it.. I'm really not big on this business of compressing everything so much. My stuff you probably need the full 16 bits for.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search