The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
STUDIO MONITORS - Yamaha HS80m [OR? - Advice!]
Old 8th February 2013
  #1
Lives for gear
 

STUDIO MONITORS - Yamaha HS80m [OR? - Advice!]

Hey all,

Am really in need of a set of monitors that can give me a great response holistically but specifically in the low end.

I need to be able to hear 808 kick drums, sub bass, etc. very clearly and full as well.

Are the Yamaha HS80m the best set of monitors both for what I am looking for and FOR THEIR PRICE RANGE?

I see they go for about $250/ea online so I could get two of them for around $500. For me, this is a huge investment, both fiscally and musically.

Do you recommend another set of monitors that may be a (much) better buy for around $500 that I am unaware of?

I've heard the HS80m and do like them, but I am interested in GS member's opinions/feedback.

(Am not interested in a sub woofer!)

Thanks for any input
Old 9th February 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_One View Post
Hey all,

Am really in need of a set of monitors that can give me a great response holistically but specifically in the low end.

I need to be able to hear 808 kick drums, sub bass, etc. very clearly and full as well.

Are the Yamaha HS80m the best set of monitors both for what I am looking for and FOR THEIR PRICE RANGE?

I see they go for about $250/ea online so I could get two of them for around $500. For me, this is a huge investment, both fiscally and musically.

Do you recommend another set of monitors that may be a (much) better buy for around $500 that I am unaware of?

I've heard the HS80m and do like them, but I am interested in GS member's opinions/feedback.

(Am not interested in a sub woofer!)

Thanks for any input
In that price range there's many choices, the HS80's are certainly a set to consider. I'm based in Atlanta where one might argue it's the hip-hop capital of the world---where bass is needed, they definitely deliver. Some might say that the HS80's are bright on the top-end and to a point, they are---but they are also very accurate within their product range. Certainly you could spend more money and get a better monitor, but the HS80's perform wonderful. Other options to consider in that price range are the KRK Rokit8's, M-Audio BX8D2, etc.
Old 9th February 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
In that price range there's many choices, the HS80's are certainly a set to consider. I'm based in Atlanta where one might argue it's the hip-hop capital of the world---where bass is needed, they definitely deliver. Some might say that the HS80's are bright on the top-end and to a point, they are---but they are also very accurate within their product range. Certainly you could spend more money and get a better monitor, but the HS80's perform wonderful. Other options to consider in that price range are the KRK Rokit8's, M-Audio BX8D2, etc.
Hey, thanks for the response.

Do you use the (Yamaha or any other) sub woofer to compliment the HS80m's? Basically, do you feel the monitors still deliver very strongly and are sufficient in the low end without the sub? Are you able to mix 808s, sub bass, deep frequencies very well on them without the sub?
Old 9th February 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_One View Post
Hey, thanks for the response.

Do you use the (Yamaha or any other) sub woofer to compliment the HS80m's? Basically, do you feel the monitors still deliver very strongly and are sufficient in the low end without the sub? Are you able to mix 808s, sub bass, deep frequencies very well on them without the sub?
It would depend upon your room, and that said whether to go with 8" or not depends upon the room. In smaller rooms you might find a 5" with a subwoofer to be a better direction.
Old 9th February 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
It would depend upon your room, and that said whether to go with 8" or not depends upon the room. In smaller rooms you might find a 5" with a subwoofer to be a better direction.
Okay, will consider that. Am curious what you are working with considering it sounds like you work with a lot of hip-hop. What do you use to accurately make music with and/or mix bass? Do you use the HS80m's and a sub?
Old 9th February 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
BradLyons's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_One View Post
Okay, will consider that. Am curious what you are working with considering it sounds like you work with a lot of hip-hop. What do you use to accurately make music with and/or mix bass? Do you use the HS80m's and a sub?
I use Focal Twin's :-)
Old 9th February 2013
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Cool, thanks.

Any other opinions?
Old 9th February 2013
  #8
Audio X
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_One View Post
Do you use the HS80m's and a sub?
I think you'll have a lot easy time getting the sine/808 right with a sub tuned to your room/system when using the speakers in your price range. You'll be lucky to get much useable info below 45 - 50Hz without using a sub.
Old 9th February 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X View Post
I think you'll have a lot easy time getting the sine/808 right with a sub tuned to your room/system when using the speakers in your price range. You'll be lucky to get much good info below 45 - 50Hz without using a sub.
Thanks for response. Is a sub really necessary? It's another $300+

What frequencies are 808 kicks and sub bass usually in? I am going for that radio quality/sounding bass, I don't need any super low, out of the ordinary, inaudible bass. Just like stuff you'd hear in your car or on nice headphones. Do the HS80m's suffice for this without the sub?
Old 9th February 2013
  #10
Audio X
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal_One View Post
Do the HS80m's suffice for this without the sub?
Without it, it's going to be more of a guessing game because the hs80's are rear ported so the bass extension on those is going to be a little iffy. I'd see if you can demo a decent sub for a week, or a least buy one with the option to return it.
Old 9th February 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio X View Post
Without it, it's going to be more of a guessing game because the hs80's are rear ported so the bass extension on those is going to be a little iffy. I'd see if you can demo a decent sub for a week, or a least buy one with the option to return it.
Ahh, I was so set on purchasing just the monitors, now I have to consider the sub...
Old 9th February 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Janesaid2me's Avatar
I think the issue is here that for your budget your not going to get it all....for under 500 your not going to find a pair of monitors that give u that low end without a sub
The yammys are great for the money....ive had money for yrs...started without the sub and then added it a few years later when i found a good deal on a used one....maybe go that route...baby steps....start w the speakers and then if u feel u need the matching sub you can save for that next year....
Old 9th February 2013
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
I think the issue is here that for your budget your not going to get it all....for under 500 your not going to find a pair of monitors that give u that low end without a sub
The yammys are great for the money....ive had money for yrs...started without the sub and then added it a few years later when i found a good deal on a used one....maybe go that route...baby steps....start w the speakers and then if u feel u need the matching sub you can save for that next year....
Good advice. How'd you like them without the sub, did they suffice for low end?

I've read that the HS80m's low end response are great without the sub and on the other hand that they need the sub.

Like I said, I'm going for the frequencies you'd hear on the radio, nothing crazy low. Do I need a sub in this case?

Is there a huge difference in the HS80m's with and without the sub in terms of low end?

For example, without the sub, the lowest frequency they'll pick up may be around 65 Hz, and with the sub the lowest frequency they'll pick up may be 40 Hz? Does anyone know the accurate specs?
Old 9th February 2013
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

I use the HS50 with the Sub and things translate quite alright.

I would go for the same setup if you can stretch your budget.
Old 9th February 2013
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Duck View Post
I use the HS50 with the Sub and things translate quite alright.

I would go for the same setup if you can stretch your budget.
Interesting, thanks for reply.
Old 9th February 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Any other opinions?
Old 10th February 2013
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Dude, really get Yamaha MSP7 they're so cheap if you live in USA. I recently paid twice value for them in Europe for 220 volts.

I listened HS80. Something's with their mid range. Guitars are just screaming there and they sound like a cardboard. Buy MSP7 they are really better than all that Focal stuff and KH120. If you like HS80 you will in love with MSP7.
Old 10th February 2013
  #18
Lives for gear
 
79_Limited's Avatar
 

They are decent. However, I am more impressed with my Equator D5's and cheaper too.

Yeah they only have a 5" driver but it is deceiving. With a sub they are probably lethal for the style you are doing.

Do some research on them.

Greg
Old 10th February 2013
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Thanks for input.
Old 11th February 2013
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Janesaid2me's Avatar
Definitely a difference when u add the sub...totally usable without...but much more accurate when you use the sub and cut the monitors at 100hz...think it helps the ,nitors focus on the lower mids without worrying about the lows...lets the sub handle that.
Right now im using the hs80 w a sub and dynaudio bm5a both of which go through a krk ergo for room correction plus i have a good bit of room tx...my mixes are pretty dandy now compared to when i started with just the hs80 no sub and no tx.
Old 12th February 2013
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janesaid2me View Post
plus i have a good bit of room tx...my mixes are pretty dandy now compared to when i started with just the hs80 no sub and no tx.
What is tx?
Old 12th February 2013
  #22
Lives for gear
 
Heartfelt's Avatar
Owned them. They definitely work well for the money. The low end is decent. You can certainly tell what's going on. I like using a pair oh phones to double check down there.

3 things about the HS80m's:

1. They are vocal forward. Get used to this and you will love it. Use reference mixes to see how the vocal sits.

2. They are not the most detailed, despite the brightness. Double check verb tails and delays on phones or another system until you understand what is happening.

3. They feel more open than KRK's and that is why I loved them. Others in that price range sound like cardboard.

Bonus: they can crank.
Old 12th February 2013
  #23
For the money, the JBL LSR 2325 and 2328 are an excellent value, there much smoother and in my opinion more accurate in general than the Yamaha HS series. The top end isn't harsh and is very revealing. I've seen used pairs of 2325's going for $300. Check em out if you get a chance and preferably side by side to the HS.
Old 12th February 2013
  #24
Here for the gear
 

It of course depends on what your requirements and budget, but for me if accurately monitoring low end the Yamaha HS series would not be the way to go, To be honest there a bit harsh on the high end to. If you add a sub, in my experience it's hard to balance the sub in the room and then have that translate outside of the room. It's alright to have the sub to check, but I've never been able to use one all the time.

In that same price range, (I saw someone reference them earlier) the KRK's have a nice smooth, punchy low end (the 8's) and even though it's a bit hyped around 150 Hz it's rewarded when the low end is right.

For a couple more bucks the Dynaudio bm5a's will solve everything!
Old 12th February 2013
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Janesaid2me's Avatar
Tx = treatment...sorry for the abbreviation
Money solves all problems...lol
dynaaudio bm5a while being more detailed dont pack the punch of the hs80 with or without sub...i know used both tonight while working on a mix
To me the bm5a are alil to mid focused....but good in their own right
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Forum Jump
Forum Jump