The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headphones for placing mics, mixing, and tracking? Studio Headphones
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear
Headphones for placing mics, mixing, and tracking?

I need a set of cans for all three operations. For setting mics in a live studio room to get the best placement/sound, I suppose closed back is necessary, I can't listen through monitors as there is far too much bleed between rooms, so phones'll have to do. Then I'd like a trust worthy pair of ear warmers to check mixes on that have a neutral and accurate spectrum, I'd like to hear the subtle things mon. will miss, sibilance, reverb tails, stereo imaging, out of tune vibrato, the works, while remaining a reliable reference, hell I'd rather mix on phones, but we know how that works.... I'd like to use them as a third set of tracking phones, the least most important function as I have others, but I suppose it adds to the closed-back necessity...though I am all open to hear options/suggestions.

Now before your palm meets your face, I don't want to spend too much money, pref. around $200 (used is fine) but under $300.

Thanks for any tips and help, all appreciated.
Old 6th February 2013
I want a time machine, but I don't want my interactions with the past to change the future(present?).

Anyway, I use Etymotic ER4 with crossfeed. They help a lot in getting mics in their best spot even when I'm in the same room as the performer.
Old 6th February 2013
Remote Audio HN-7506Headphones for placing mics, mixing, and tracking?-imageuploadedbygearslutz1360132507.023522.jpg

Spendy but worth it. I got 3 years out of my gel pads. They are field replaceable. These suckers work amazingly well for isolation and mic placing.

Just don't get too close to the drummer as he'll certainly snag them for his own use!
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

Definitely have to go closed to hear mics. I highly recommend Direct Sound EX 29. They fit your bill to a tee. Well, almost. Stereo imaging is not a job for headphones. And I don't think balancing (particularly vocals) is a job for headphones either. But their frequency response translates really well. They were recommended to me by a very successful engineer who trusts them in conjunction with his ATC mains. We did a little A/B'n in his control room and that was enough for me to get a pair. But I didn't take that beyond the studio. I waited to see for myself with an open mind. Just a little aside...I pride myself in being neutral with gear that I acquire. I'm just as ready to dis it as I am to dig it. Frequency wise, I trust them way more than my modest Yamaha MSP5's (can hardly wait to upgrade, and I have a short list!). Bass and kick translate really well. And the high end is not flattered. I've recorded drums, acoustic and electric guitar, piano, viola, banjo, dobro, and others and have been able to listen to the mics right in front of the source (of course, with a healthy level). And you can do some mixing work outside, or on a noisy train or airplane, or in a hotel! Anyways, I dig them. And they're just over $100.
Old 6th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMoorman View Post
Definitely have to go closed to hear mics. I highly recommend Direct Sound EX 29. They fit your bill to a tee. Well, almost. Stereo imaging is not a job for headphones. And I don't think balancing (particularly vocals) is a job for headphones either. But their frequency response translates really well. They were recommended to me by a very successful engineer who trusts them in conjunction with his ATC mains. We did a little A/B'n in his control room and that was enough for me to get a pair. But I didn't take that beyond the studio. I waited to see for myself with an open mind. Just a little aside...I pride myself in being neutral with gear that I acquire. I'm just as ready to dis it as I am to dig it. Frequency wise, I trust them way more than my modest Yamaha MSP5's (can hardly wait to upgrade, and I have a short list!). Bass and kick translate really well. And the high end is not flattered. I've recorded drums, acoustic and electric guitar, piano, viola, banjo, dobro, and others and have been able to listen to the mics right in front of the source (of course, with a healthy level). And you can do some mixing work outside, or on a noisy train or airplane, or in a hotel! Anyways, I dig them. And they're just over $100.
I second this! They don't sound very good but they are the best for getting the mic into the position you want which is really hard when you are micing a 1' away from a cranked guitar amp. Afterwards I check the sound with Audio Technica ATM - 50's because they give you a more accurate sound but lack the attenuation of the EX-29's.
Old 6th February 2013
Gear Addict

Ahha! I am in the same boat, though with a slightly smaller budget (around $150) I will be watching this closely. For now I am using a set of Bayredynamic DT100's that I got at a garage sale (score!) But they are not the flattest or most truthful things around. How does the isolation of the ATH 50's comapir to the dt100's?
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear
I have a set of Sony md 7506 and Sennheiser hd280, of which I prefer the 280s for both sound, comfort, and isolation...what is better than them in the next price range?
Old 7th February 2013
You wont get that much better isolation or sound quality than what you already have(unless Etymotic). For tracking handouts look at Superlux range and save the money for isolating your control room instead.
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear
How good are the hd280's for mix reference, is it worth getting a more expensive and dedicated mix pair?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search