The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL 502 EQ and GR 32EQ
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Nut

SSL 502 EQ and GR 32EQ

Looking for some input as to how these 2 eq's compare.I've heard a lot about the 32EQ but nothing about SSL's 502EQ.
I've actually never "heard" either.I own an A-Design's Hammer and a pair of their EM-PEQ's.Thinking I'd like to have something a bit more surgical on hand!!Thanks in advance for any time spent here....
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Nut

SSL 502 EQ and GR 32EQ

Well no response,I'm hoping this got "lost in the mail" and someone will chime in for a minute....
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Addict

Love the GR/Harrison - haven't heard the SSL...yet.
Old 12th February 2013
Hey Mark,

I've sadly never tried the new SSL EQ, [can't imagine it's anything different from what I am used to with SSL EQ's] but have had amazing experiences with the Great River.

Its hard to describe, but I think its definitely a "sweep around" and "fix ****" kind of EQ, with a softer, clean and slightly warm sound. You got two modes on this puppy under the hood as well. I think the "Q" factor is somewhat narrow on the 32EQ, which I think helps to "tip-up" and "tuck-down" stuff effortlessly.

I think its a great track/mix EQ. Kinda makes me want to put more than one in the frame, as you start to get the "console-EQ" vibe with smaller knobs. The filtering affect of these equalizers is very out of the way. Certainly no where near as gritty/filter'y as I remember SSL EQ's sounding.

I hope this is of assistance!
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Nut

SSL 502 EQ and GR 32EQ

Hey Roc,Thanks for info on the GR 32EQ's.Very helpful!!The SSL502 EQ's aren't neccesarily "new".I think they're getting pulled outa SSL 5000 series (broadcast) consoles.Could be wrong....??You might be thinking of the SSL 611EQ E-Series EQ 500 Series Module,ie;"classic black".
Old 12th February 2013
502s are definitely pulled out of the 5000 series desk and racked. We used to rack them and had tons of them around. They are very nice sounding EQs but not particularly different than what you find on 4Ks. They are simply nice, utilitarian desk EQs.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Maniac
Hey mark,

I have and use both.
In general I would say that the 502 has a bit mor bite and the Harrison is a touch more of a softer/saturated sound.. To my ears the ssl 502 is a more useful workhorse for carving... While the Harrison leaves more of a noticeable "vibey" footprint... while still being able to make a freq jump out at you in a mix if you need it too.

My best advice if you want to go with the 502... Really pay attention to how it is racked and that a good job was done. I'm getting ready to have my pair worked on and/or reracked. I am eyeing the xrack stuff. If I go that way I may be selling the 502's and the 32's.
Old 2nd March 2013
Gear Guru

i purchased 4 502's in a rack for 1200.00 i now see them going for 1200.00 for 2 channels ... i got lucky ...

it was a great deal and they end being in the chain even if they are not boosting or cutting ... they give a little polish to the sound ...

cheers

john
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search