The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
balanced signal through Avalon U5 Hi-Z input to bring down to MIC level signal
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Nut

balanced signal through Avalon U5 Hi-Z input to bring down to MIC level signal

gday

i want to route my Akai MPC4000 through a Neve pre-amp prior to the A/D conversion to give it a bit of colour. The Akai MPC4000 has balanced outputs.

Is it OK to run the MPC4000 balanced outputs into the Avalon U5 Hi-Z instrument inputs? then route the MIC level output from the U5's into the Neve 1073 DPA preamp? i know it works but are there any issues with running balanced lines into an unbalanced Hi-Z instrument input (using run of the mill balanced leads)? just want to double check

i dont want to go through the line input of the Neve preamp as i want the extra colour with the additional transformer stage.

Akai MPC4000 > Avalon U5's (MIC level) > (MIC level) Neve 1073 DPA > Apogee Rosetta 800

thanks
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear
Why don't you do it the other way around? MPC into the U-5 input, then mic level out of the U-5 into the Neve pre-amp. Just a thought....Never mind...I just re-read your post and see this is what you ARE asking...!.. I think this will work, but you may have to make the cable to the U-5 unbalanced in it's input tho'.( I don't think the DI input is balanced). Are the outputs on the MPC, XLR or TRS? I think you will be fine going to the U-5 unbalanced scince you are making the signal mic level out of the U-5 into the Neve anyway!... Good luck..!
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

if i were you, i'd check the impedence from MPC to Avalon.

if output impedance of MPC is lower than input imp of Avalon, i think you're okay.

otherwise, you can always run the MPC into a reamp box (or DI box backwards), so you can change from line out to instrument level, then go into Avalon. if you're inclined on getting transformer sound, perhaps a box with another transformer?

just saying, getting the right gain staging might yield a better sound.
Old 9th August 2006
Lives for gear

the MPC's outputs are TRS. So just use a TS to TS cable into the DI on the Avalon.
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Nut

thanks for the responses

output impedence of MPC4000 is 1,700ohm for 1/4" balanced or 200ohm for XLR balanced.

input impedence for U5 is 3,000,000ohm.

so running a 1/4" TR to 1/4" TR (unbalanced) lead from MPC4000 out to U5 in will do the trick? what about impedence matching? is this OK as MPC4000 output impedence is lower than U5 input impedence? what about gain?

if i was to use two reamps (one for left channel and one for right channel) between MPC4000 and U5 would this give me any noticable benifit over the TR to TR option above?

MPC4000 XLR (balanced) out > reamp XLR (balanced) in > reamp Hi-Z 1/4" (unbalanced) out > U5 Hi-Z 1/4" (unbalanced) in > U5 MIC out > 1073DPA MIC in etc

dont really want to spend money if i dont need to. i wont be using the reamps for anything else (like reamping bass or guitars to amplifiers), just for keyboards, samplers and synths with +4 output levels.

thanks
Old 16th August 2006
Lives for gear
I think you will be fine with the TS to TS cable. Unless you are running it for a long distance before you plug into the U-5...! Then the balanced/unbalance issue might be of some concern. Plug up the TS cables and go for it..!....
Old 17th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beesting View Post
gday

i want to route my Akai MPC4000 through a Neve pre-amp prior to the A/D conversion to give it a bit of colour. The Akai MPC4000 has balanced outputs.

Is it OK to run the MPC4000 balanced outputs into the Avalon U5 Hi-Z instrument inputs? then route the MIC level output from the U5's into the Neve 1073 DPA preamp? i know it works but are there any issues with running balanced lines into an unbalanced Hi-Z instrument input (using run of the mill balanced leads)? just want to double check

i dont want to go through the line input of the Neve preamp as i want the extra colour with the additional transformer stage.

Akai MPC4000 > Avalon U5's (MIC level) > (MIC level) Neve 1073 DPA > Apogee Rosetta 800

thanks
Doesn't the DPA have line level inputs?

The front has a high z - low z switch and you can run unbalanced out of the mpc.
Old 17th August 2006
Lives for gear

The U5 will also add color, won't it. So if you want ONLY the Neve's color...
Why not just a pad between the MPC's symmetric output and the Neve's Mic input?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search