The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
About power amps without volume knobs... Adcom? Audio Interfaces
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

About power amps without volume knobs... Adcom?

Hello fellow slutz,

I'm in the need of buying 2 power amps, one for my NS10's and other for my JBL4410. I've been reading a lot and seems that Adcom amps are great and they fit my budget too, but the fact that they doesn't have a volume control confuses me.

I monitor thru a Toft and It has 2 monitor outputs. How can I match the volume between my 2 sets of speakers? For instance, if I buy an Adcom 545 for the NS10's and Adcom 555 for the 4410's, when I switch between monitor A and B will they have different levels?

I've been using them with an older Sansui receiver, so it's time for an upgrade.

I'm all ears...
Thanks!
Old 29th January 2013

Off the top of my head a couple of things that I have done over the years is to put a trim pot on the lines going into the amps or use a volume pot to get a setting that works and take resistance measurements and solder up some resistive pads.....that's what I currently have on my NS10's driven by a Bryston that has no volume controls.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Head

That's a simple, great idea.
Is there any signal degradation in doing that?
Thanks Rick.
Old 29th January 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by planeador View Post
Is there any signal degradation in doing that?
As long as the impedance is factored in I've never had a problem. I've even done it to tape machines and other devices when the input was too sensitive for +4 levels.....Revox A77 was always a problem with clipping on input so a couple of trim pots kept things under control!
If I know I'm going into an amp with a 10k input I'll put a 5k pad or pot in front of it.
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Any other ideas? Couldnt find much Infos about how other people solve this problem?
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Addict

Is there no way to control the volume from the Toft?
No volume on the amp or powered speakers is common.
The only difference between the Adcom and the sansui is the later has a built in pre amp.
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Maniac

i have a small studer console, which has only one monitor volume control, as monitros i have a genelec pair and a ns10 pair (run with a yamaha amp with level/volume control).
so i put on the yamaha amp the same level as the genelecs give me, everything works fine.

but if i would buy a adcom i cant make the ns10 as loud as the genelecs, they would be much louder.
Old 15th October 2015
Whatever you do, send the Adcoms to Jim Williams. It's well worth it.

I use a ULN-8 Metric Halo, which has adjustable trims on the outputs, so that takes care of matching the levels.
Old 20th October 2015
Gear Maniac

No one?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search