The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Al Green-Console and Other Gear
Old 7th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Al Green-Console and Other Gear

Disclaimer-I realize the magic of the records is the result of Al Green, the studio band, and a room that sounds like it has mattresses on every surface, but I'm interested to know what Console was used on the sessions for the classic early 70's albums and what outboard gear was used. I've searched all over Gearslutz and the net and haven't come across anything.

Thanks,

Craig
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting topic (about which I know nada.)

Cat Power's last album "The Greatest" was made with Al Green's band.

Here's some Hi Records history:

http://hirecords.com/history.html

some bits about Royal Recording:

http://www.jukenjamm.com/juke/photos/hi/hi.html

Nothing gets me going like Al Green.

A drummer friend and I played mostly hard rock but we wanted to see what we could learn from Al Green records, so we'd rehearse a bunch of his songs. The thing we learned was restraint. At first, even though we could start to nail the groove, we kept wanting to rock out and thus we'd end up sounding like the "World's Most Dangerous Band" which was totally counter to what we were trying to achieve. We had to pull waaaaaay back from what we knew to even begin to approximate that sound.
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Nice links, Max!
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

MCI 428A, MCI JH16 2" 16 trk, then JH24 2" 24 trk, (2) Pultec EQP1As, Teletronix LA2A, RCA DX77 Ribbon mic. That list is a quote direct from Willie Mitchell.
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
MCI 428A, MCI JH16 2" 16 trk, then JH24 2" 24 trk, (2) Pultec EQP1As, Teletronix LA2A, RCA DX77 Ribbon mic. That list is a quote direct from Willie Mitchell.
That's the info I was interested in. Thanks!
Old 8th August 2006
Gear Nut

Did he say the ribbon was used for his vocals??? very curious
Jerry
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

There's no better example of the source being the most important thing than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alhLnxnBWiw

Spine tingling....

_
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear

ND33:

Yes. In fact, he's still using the same DX77 he was using back then, today. It's all scuffed up, gotta hefty ding in the grill, but he swears by it. If I had recorded Al green for the past 20 years, I'd feel the same way. heh
Old 8th August 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Interesting topic (about which I know nada.)

Cat Power's last album "The Greatest" was made with Al Green's band.

Here's some Hi Records history:

http://hirecords.com/history.html

some bits about Royal Recording:

http://www.jukenjamm.com/juke/photos/hi/hi.html

Nothing gets me going like Al Green.

A drummer friend and I played mostly hard rock but we wanted to see what we could learn from Al Green records, so we'd rehearse a bunch of his songs. The thing we learned was restraint. At first, even though we could start to nail the groove, we kept wanting to rock out and thus we'd end up sounding like the "World's Most Dangerous Band" which was totally counter to what we were trying to achieve. We had to pull waaaaaay back from what we knew to even begin to approximate that sound.
I agree with Max. Seems especially of today's music, that some musicians just play to show their " chops"..! Even when it's not required for the song..!.. .." Ahum.. "We know you can play"..!...heh..Takes a "seasoned" player to "hold back" when the groove starts to.... ...!...
Old 9th August 2006
Gear Maniac

yep. DX77 #9. MCI console. Funkiest coolest studio I've ever seen. It's built into an old theatre so the floor in the cutting room slopes. There's really only one iso booth, but the rest of the room has these "stalls," like in a horse stable, to set stuff up to get a little more isolation. They slam things to tape too. Needles in the red, lotsa compression. I think that while the genius of all those old records comes first and foremost from the amazing talent they had in front of the mics, Willie Mitchell's skills as an arranger and producer can not be overstated. The man had amazing ears.
Old 2nd December 2009
Here for the gear

Willie Mitchell! The material Ann Peebles and Syl Johnson did for Hi Records is so underrated and amazing. Even amongst all of the incredible Soul coming out of Memphis in the late '60s/early '70s, Hi maintained such a distinct and heavy sound. It sounds like the studio is very similar to Stax in the fact that it was set up in an old movie theater.

Does anyone know how the horns were miced?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search