The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
best audio engineering school in austraila?
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

best audio engineering school in austraila?

I plan to move to Australia, which is the best audio engineering school there?
Old 17th January 2013
Old 17th January 2013
I would go to audio school somewhere else. Then move to Australia later if you still want to.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Addict

Check out JMC academy
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I would go to audio school somewhere else. Then move to Australia later if you still want to.
i can't do that man :( why do you say that
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxy View Post
hmm why they have different way then other sae-s, you have to collect some kind of 120 points? what are you if you finish all, are you still a bachelor?

is sae best school there, couldn't care less abouth the paper, i think abouth the knowledge
Old 17th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by loscolorados View Post
i can't do that man :( why do you say that
Because Australia has a very quiet recording scene, and ambitious Aussies wanting to work in the music business travel to the USA or UK.
It would be better to start your career in a demanding environment, a vibrant location with lots of busy musicians and studios. Then decide if you want to move to Australia, which has lifestyle...... but nothing like the music action of LA or London.
Old 18th January 2013
Gear Maniac

There are better ways to learn. What is useful is that you're dedicating 4+ hours a week to just spend on audio engineering - but you can really do that anywhere.
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

I can remember around 6-7 years ago a young Kid around 18 wanted to go and do the AIM course, ( I spoke with his parents telling them it was a no go zone etc) anyway the kid went to the orientation with his Dad, and got sold on all the **** fast talk from the AIM Mentor/Teachers etc.....

After 2 Years of an Audio engineering degree, (And around $14K AUD) the kid had knocked up an only allowable total of 10 hours on the Old RHINO bottom floor SSL G+ and that was including the tuition, His TOTAL TIME on the CONSOLE was around 90 Minutes, the had 1 Comp/Lim/PT Rig TDM with Adat Behringer analog outputs, basically the poor guy was so seriously crushed, he bailed in the 1st quarter of the 3rd year! By then (Doing Sound Engineering as a Main Course) all up that was around 25$K in fees (Living expenses not included)

As has, and will always be the problem is often many things just can not be taught in this profession, more so every studio differs and has it's own idiosyncratic way of working and style - Generic Courses offer exactly what you could learn from around $600 Bucks in Books and 18 months in a Library.

I think these days if you really have to go to an Audio School, Tafe or JMC would be the best options. These schools where you pay your Term Fee's in 1st Year non refundable instalments have caught many out! Some schools bank on a certain percentage of Students dropping out - and they damn well know this!

This is also why your 1st year is not a set in stone solid course or structured in the disciplines required. They want you to do 4 years in total & waste the 1st year doing Multimedia to set you up for your deciding 3 years, So you get

Music Lessons 101 with Names like Tommy Emmanuelle:
Live Sound 101
Studio Basics 101
Midi 101
Video 101
Business Management 101
etc
etc
etc

This was happening at AIM in the 90's and 2000's I hope it's now under new management!

I can still remember the Sydney Studio Scene in the early 1990's trying to stop a whole gamut of Audio Schools opening up & getting federal funding for fees with petitions from near every Studio in Sydney large and small trying to convince the Federal government it was such a Bloody Jib and that No Studio worth it's salt would take on a 3 year Graduate..... as learning was all important in-house, if I remember correctly Martin Benge from 301 was a huge advocate against these massive Audio Engineer Schools and led the charge for the best part!

All this did was let the Governments close places at AFTERS and Nth Sydney Tafe College which had a brilliant Audio Course that the government felt cost far too much!

Just my 2cents
Old 18th January 2013
Here for the gear

tbh i think SAVE your money open you own budget studio, employ a Audio Engineer fresh out of collage with his or her Diploma or higher and they will most likely teach you you need to know on the spot without the BS
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

Your better off buying your own gear and learning to record and mix in a Home Studio! Getting work in a Studio has little to do with whether or not you have a piece of paper that says you did a course! In fact, for some ppl, it's actually a negative!!
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentleman View Post
Your better off buying your own gear and learning to record and mix in a Home Studio! Getting work in a Studio has little to do with whether or not you have a piece of paper that says you did a course! In fact, for some ppl, it's actually a negative!!
Can't say I disagree at all with the above from the "Gent", more so as I see all these massive Bollywood Productions & Content from Asia, though when your talking those Bollywood movies, their not mixing on 80 foot Harrison's though a Bevy of Behringer stuff! That gear also seems to pass QC with flying colours and should their be a problem parts are a plenty. If you "Have To Do a Pro Audio Course" I could really only say Pony up the serious Ca$h and do the Course at AFTERS. At least then what you get on paper is world recognised and taught to an extremely high standard! More so your using A+++++++ Current Technology giving you scope for multiple areas, not just Rock Music Recording, I mean....... really, that boat sailed long ago!
Again just MHO!
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
Can't say I disagree at all with the above from the "Gent", more so as I see all these massive Bollywood Productions & Content from Asia, though when your talking those Bollywood movies, their not mixing on 80 foot Harrison's though a Bevy of Behringer stuff! That gear also seems to pass QC with flying colours and should their be a problem parts are a plenty. If you "Have To Do a Pro Audio Course" I could really only say Pony up the serious Ca$h and do the Course at AFTERS. At least then what you get on paper is world recognised and taught to an extremely high standard! More so your using A+++++++ Current Technology giving you scope for multiple areas, not just Rock Music Recording, I mean....... really, that boat sailed long ago!
Again just MHO!
AFTRS is $17K per year and admission is not automatic but by experience/talent. If your really serious about being an Engineer spend the 2yrs tuition money and spend your $34K on a decent rig with nice monitors etc, nice mics and preamps, which all hold their resale value btw if you get bored or don't have the drive and talent to make it. Having actually worked for SAE and 301 for a number of years, I can tell you now I know what I'm talking about!! Get your gear, learn your chops, then see if you need to pay money for study. Probably 98 per cent of ppl who shelled out the big bucks are not earning any money in the industry!! What does that tell you?
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolFlow View Post
There are better ways to learn. What is useful is that you're dedicating 4+ hours a week to just spend on audio engineering - but you can really do that anywhere.
but i have no teacher?
Old 19th January 2013
Watch YouTube, read books, hang out with other recording engineers, learn from your mistakes by actually doing it.
Old 20th January 2013
Gear Nut

Buy a pass on Groove3 website, actually you can have 30 days free atm if you join here: Groove 3 Offer Deal A Day Offers Until End Of The

Everything you want to know is here actually!! To be an Engineer you have to be a self starter or forget it, you'll never make it, you have to be uber motivated or extremely intelligent and creative!
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

I had a very bad experience with SAE. I ending up doing a Music Tech degree through the Queensland Conservatorium in Brisbane and had a very positive experience.

Retrospectively, I can see that there are both ups and downs to studying audio engineering through an institution. It's a good way to fast track some skills and general knowledge, get some hands-on time with gear and if you're lucky, learn from some great mentors. It does not substitute real-world experience and it does not lead you straight into a job in a studio producing bands full-time. Any uni, TAFE or college trying to sell you that whole 'land your dream job today!' rhetoric, in regards to audio engineering, is full of ****. You just have to make of it what you can and leverage all the benefits to the fullest extent while you're studying.
Old 21st January 2013
Agreed.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

but i have no teacher?

There is plenty you can learn from the comfort of your home studio. The first thing I discovered there is a lot of gear available. There is also a lot of information/disinformation to sort through. A basic recording rig is cheap and with a standard DAW you can learn a lot by doing. Lots of tutorials online, someone mentioned groove3 above.

Schools tend to have limited gear, limited brands or limited time available on the better equipment. Couple that with teachers who aren't necessarily at the top of their game or have the breadth of experience that you might expect.

BrenJWC - you wouldn't happen to be previously from a band called The Danaj Show?

Rohan
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

lots of good and not so good advice above.

The reality is an audio school will not give you a career in audio, but a good one can teach you a lot, and I can vouch that SAE in Sydney was very good in 1979.

If I had my time all over again in the present day I'd get a copy of PT (or big name alternative) on my PC, an AD convertor and a small analog mixer plus a few of the better audio books and start learning as many hours a day as possible.

Once fluent on the basic gear I'd suggest start mixing for smaller bands and get fluent doing live work.

Then start booking studios with engineer for half-days and utilise them as training sessions - bring some musos in and make the recording session a practice session for you.

Most of all - start learning now - don't wait - read, read, read, try and make the best possible sound with whatever gear you have.....

endo
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

Very good advice from Herc.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

I did the Production/Design course at WAAPA in Perth, graduating in 2007. It was mainly a theater and live course, but covered film and TV sound, music record, pretty much any field of sound you could imagine. I got a lot out of it, and since graduating have worked as a theater tech, live engineer, done foley for TV and doco's, all in addition to the studio work I do (which is my preferred field).

I don't think any course is fool proof, and WAAPA is no exception, but so much of how I got my start in the industry came from the people I met through the course, whether it was fill in live gigs from other classmates or tagging along with lecturers while they work.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Gotta Say......Sure times do & have changed..... Thanks to SAE, & JMC and Audio'r Us & every other Small or Large school that now or ever existed! Once upon a time you were judged on your merits and AFTERS was NOT a 1st call school place, rather a more so discerning and after the more experienced (After you got you Chops) by then "Finalising and near Polishing school were by throwing you into AFTERS the Ryde school and project off-shoots", you were actually Paid in 1984 $200.00 a week to go to AFTERS .....(Yeap The government did it all, and sent you along as a a fully fledged 3 year BA of ARTS.....And Paid you!)

It was every Audio School touting for Business and the end of Grants and subsidies when Federal Law was passed for Hex fees in these places!
So...AFTERS became Ultra Picky.......100% with actual Interview fees!
Still.....!
We lost the best Teachers!
The Money to live while Learning!
Projects you could learn & Settle Into!
A serious grounding & solid Education!
In All Media Forms!

That is what SAE & JMC alongside AIM gave you guys.............and the government saw that & went.......... Sh*t...... "Uncle Bob's Hawks' Musical Scholarship Fund (Dole $$$) is cheaper then keeping this Aust Film Study Film Lark going"

So......The options are no longer so broad! I'm telling you be young now! which ever way you learn, so many young guys would be amazed at the info us older guys can and are willing to give you! We lived through it.....we know you can do the same! Books guys.... seriously Books!
Old 23rd January 2013
The trouble with the private fee charging schools is that their number one concern is collecting as many fees as possible, not building a reputation for educating the great industry identities of the future, not creating a competitive learning environment, not kicking out kids who are failing, and holding other students back.
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

Do an LA course if you can. Then move to Oz for lifestyle and work. It may give you a slight edge.
Having said that, the courses is Oz are great. One of the best nations for education on all accounts. SAE in Melbourne I recommend. I used to know the head of music there and know how much work they put in.
Old 23rd January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Having said that, the courses is Oz are great. One of the best nations for education on all accounts.
Statistically no.
Quote:
in Year 4 reading we are outperformed by 21 countries, including Britain, New Zealand and the US, all English-speaking nations with a similar cultural profile to Australia and facing similar educational challenges.

In Year 4 mathematics we rank 18th, in science 19th and, while a better result, in Year 8 mathematics we are placed seventh and in science 10th.

And see above post. The priority is to make profits, not educate future leaders in entertainment.
I don't know SAE in Melbourne, but I've been shocked at what I saw elsewhere.
I totally agree with you though....OP should study in LA (or London).
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

Just like any other business, audio schools are there to make money, not as a charity.

In the '70s in Oz there was no tertiary allowance for audio ed., no dole available as it was a full time course.... no HECs ..... and it was pay up front (reduced cost) or weekly. Most of us who went had day jobs and went to evening lectures and late night / weekend practical work.

And yes, the cost was relative to today (high) - and only about 10 of us made it to the end of the course. BUT, at least there was somewhere that you could learn audio and get your hands on gear - the only other option was to talk your way into a studio assistant jobs - generally with little or no pay.

But nowadays there is an enormous choice of gear starting very cheap .... and there are books, forums, magazines, online and self-taught courses...... and people are willing to share some of the knowledge.

See you in Oz ;-)
Old 28th January 2013
Lives for gear

Problem is the courses focus on recording studios, and for graduates the only really decent paying audio jobs are in broadcast.
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

To answer the question, SAE Byron Bay is probably the best of the SAE schools. However, The Music Education Degree at Northern Rivers (Lismore) has produced over 20 years, the highest percentage of successful, well-adjusted graduates.

Beyond that, I am at a point where I am SERIOUSLY questioning both the validity & the reasoning for doing any course with SAE (Novartis), JMC Academy and AIM. There is also a strong case for all 3 organisations being held to account for misleading, false claims & false advertising.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search