The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
i'm stuck! which one, there both good!
Old 24th October 2003
Here for the gear

i'm stuck! which one, there both good!

hi guys, i need your advice in a big way heres my problem.

i'm about to buy a drum synth/seq for my setup. and the 2 candidates are
DR-008 and the RM-IV

both have pro's and cons. i basically will be working on pop/rock music so i need a good REAL, natural sound. i had descided to get the RM-IV up until earlier today when somone started talking about the DR-008 and how wonderful it is . i'm so confused!
i tryed the demo on both and visually the RM-IV is easier for me to use. the DR-008 was very hard to understand

i'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and heres whys

1. the RM-IV and DR-008 are the same price
2. for me the RM seems easy to use (visually)
3. i understand the DR-008's popularity but i'm always looking at new
products
4. the varizer the RM has is a neat little tool, i didn;t see that on the
DR-008 demo.

can you guys help me out?

stu
Old 27th October 2003
Lives for gear

I only know about the DR-008. I can tell you that it is tough to learn (first 1-2 days) but gets very easy and is very powerful.

If you are looking for natural sounds, DR-008 is good because you can use it with sampled drum sounds which is the only way I use it.

I use it within Sonar and find that the Quantize and Groove Quantize features give me the type of real feels and sounds that I used to get from the HUMANIZE feature in Fruity Loops.

There is a brand new DR-008 upgrade coming which is supposed to help with usability, but I will likely not get it since I am pretty dialed in with the version I have.

If you have any interest I might be able to find and post a sample of a scratch recording where I used the DR-008 with sampled wavs for kit. Let me know.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search