The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam MX-4 Preamp Audio Interfaces
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear

Tascam MX-4 Preamp

Hello, I did some search, couldn't find any opinions on Tascam MX-4 microphone preamp.

It has 4 channels with direct outs and a stereo mixing bus with the option of MS Matrix which can be used as a monitoring device.

Any users here. What do you think?

best

R.
Old 10th January 2013
Lives for gear

Nobody there with some experience with this preamp - almost can't believe that...???
Old 13th January 2013
Lives for gear

Amazing, I thought this preamp was quite popular a while ago.

Here are my own findings (have some more preamps).

It's not the quietest and silkiest of all, but it has a certain boldness so that I could imagine different situations where I would prefer it over others, but not for really quiet instruments with quiet mics.

Big advantage is that it has a on board mixing capability to stereo, even with an M/S matrix, so that one can directly monitor the signal without commiting the decoding to record.

Very versatile in it's own way.

best
R.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

I've done some internet search. This preamp is not even mentioned on the legacy products page of Tascam... Very strange.
Old 29th January 2013
Gear Nut

Hi,

I have one and like it very much. It's not Neve but for the stuff I do it is nice.

The MS decoder and the possibilities you get with the "mixer" are great. When traking stuff with multiple microphones/sources you can do a lot of stuff and easily balance several sources to get either a stereo mix or a couple of different mono combinations.

Mine was dirt cheap from Germany through evilbay a few years ago and gets used in every session.

Cheers from Lisbon
Old 29th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feromongo View Post
Hi,

I have one and like it very much. It's not Neve but for the stuff I do it is nice.

The MS decoder and the possibilities you get with the "mixer" are great. When traking stuff with multiple microphones/sources you can do a lot of stuff and easily balance several sources to get either a stereo mix or a couple of different mono combinations.

Mine was dirt cheap from Germany through evilbay a few years ago and gets used in every session.

Cheers from Lisbon
Thanks for your contribution. Do you have intermittent contact problems within the preamp circuitry? If so, any idea how to fix that? I think this is due to the computer type flat cables with those flat connectors which maybe oxidate...
Old 5th February 2013
I used to use these for mobile recordings a while back; when our company operated a "studio in a van" OB vehicle. I took one unit of them when we sidegraded to Yamaha MLA 8's which matched our DM2000's pre's, and saved us some rack space for those times when we needed to up the channel count to 48+

The Tascams are good though and probably a little better than the Yamaha's per channel, and there's certainly a bit more utility in there, with the mix functionality.

I've used it quite frequently for small living room music recordings. Pianos, Guitars and Vocals. All of which sound perfectly nice; they beat the crap out of most low end interface pre's.

I've not had any problems with the contacts in the circuitry. That said, the guy who used to own the one I have is a retired service engineer for Tascam, so they were in about as good condition as they are likely to get.
Old 19th May 2013
Gear Head

I got mine new from a music store something like two years ago for 40€ (it should have been sleeping behind crates for years in their warehouse and they wanted it to go). Find it really nice, the only downside I found is the phantom switch on the rear and no phantom led on the front (so I sticked green pacman ghosts on the channels that have phantom on). No contact troubles here.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search