The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Best way to record a vocalist and two acoustic guitars?
Old 8th January 2013
Here for the gear

Best way to record a vocalist and two acoustic guitars?

Hey guys.

I was wondering if you have any suggestions on recording two acoustics and a vocalist at the same time?

I was thinking of using an oktava mk 012 on each acoustic guitar, and a Blue woodpecker on the vocals. Would this work okay do you think? Or would we be better maybe using a room mic too? We're not looking for an overly polished modern sound as we play vintage blues soul type stuff.

Would really appreciate some advice as I'm pretty clueless about all this.

Thanks.
Old 8th January 2013
For real vintage sound, just use one mic. Ideally a ribbon mic with a tube preamp.

If you use multiple mics you start getting phase issues, as sounds leaks or spills into the other mics and arrives at slight different times.

You might consider just a stereo pair - read up on the various methods and the pros and cons of each.

Seperate mics can help to get a drier up front sound - especially if the room ambiance is excessive. Figure 8 mic patterns can be very useful, because they have very strong rejection planes, so you can strategically place them to avoid pickup up the unwanted sound.

There are plenty of ways to try - best to just start reading and experimenting.
Old 8th January 2013
Gear Head

who is singing ? one of the guitarplayers ?
do you have a treated room ? dimensions ?
gobos ? what is your gear ?

cheers, mati
Old 8th January 2013
Here for the gear

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it.

We're just recording in my friends living room as the recordings are solely for Youtube videos. That said, we still want the best sound we can get. Suprisingly though, the room does have pretty good acoustics for what it is.

Using one ribbon mic sounds interesting, Kiwi. I heard that's the way Motown used to record? Would the phasing issues from using seperate mics be enormous, and would make it hard to mix?

Cheers for the reply Mati. One of the guitar players is singing too. The room is not treated, it's a medium to large living room. Our gear as of now is just our guitars and a zoom r16 8 track. We have around £800 to spend on mics/preamps or whatever. I know it's not a huge budget, but I'm confident we'll be able to find something that works.

For reference, these are recordings we made before. The only differences will be that I will also be playing acoustic instead of the electric, and we'll be playing in a different room.

These were both recorded with one sm57 used as a room mic.

Red House - Jimi Hendrix Cover (The Lost Thieves) - YouTube

The Lost Thieves - Looking For Charlie (Misery In Charlie Company) - YouTube
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search