The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help! Reason Ate My Homework DAW Software
Old 3rd January 2013
  #1
Here for the gear
 

Help! Reason Ate My Homework

Help! first of all my specs-

protools 9
windows 7 PC
mbox
novation remote LE midi controller

Everything used to be as simple as plugging my novation controller into the usb port, opening an instrument track in protools, and then inserting the plugin i want. And then I installed Reason....

a week ago I installed "reason" on my computer. Now all of the sudden "Reason" is the ONLY plugin that seems to recognize my midi controller signal.
if I insert Reason as my multichannel plugin into the track, everything works like it should, it reads my midi controller just fine.

HOWEVER, if I choose ANY OTHER plugin (i.e. inserting Xpand or Omnisphere) on my instrument track, nothing happens. Not only is there no sound, but there is clearly no signal being received from my midicontroller in the plugin (i.e. the green level bar shows no sound/signal).

Why does my midi controller only work with the Reason plugin now? And how do I get my other plugins to go back to recognizing my midi controller successfully?

PLease help. Huge deadline ahead.

Shannon
Old 3rd January 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
What are the listed Preference options in Reason and how are they set?

fb
Old 3rd January 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Ben B's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifbangpow View Post
Help! first of all my specs-

protools 9
windows 7 PC
mbox
novation remote LE midi controller

Everything used to be as simple as plugging my novation controller into the usb port, opening an instrument track in protools, and then inserting the plugin i want. And then I installed Reason....

a week ago I installed "reason" on my computer. Now all of the sudden "Reason" is the ONLY plugin that seems to recognize my midi controller signal.
if I insert Reason as my multichannel plugin into the track, everything works like it should, it reads my midi controller just fine.

HOWEVER, if I choose ANY OTHER plugin (i.e. inserting Xpand or Omnisphere) on my instrument track, nothing happens. Not only is there no sound, but there is clearly no signal being received from my midicontroller in the plugin (i.e. the green level bar shows no sound/signal).

Why does my midi controller only work with the Reason plugin now? And how do I get my other plugins to go back to recognizing my midi controller successfully?

PLease help. Huge deadline ahead.

Shannon
My guess is that Reason is set to receive MIDI directly from your controller. Start by opening the Reason preferences dialogue, and get into the "Keyboards and Control Surfaces" area. If you see a representation of your controller, along with a checkbox that says "Use with Reason," uncheck it.

At this point, you should be getting no sound at all when you play the keyboard. (Trust me - this is what you want for now.)

Now, switch back into Pro Tools. Open up the MIDI Input Devices dialoge. Make sure your controller is appearing, and is checked. If your controller doesn't show up by name, just check the port of your MIDI interface it's connected to.

If you're inserting the Reason/Rewire plug on an Instrument track, make sure you set your Mix Window to display "Instruments." When that is done, you should see the MIDI input and output path selectors at the very top of the Instrument track. Set the input to receive from your controller on all channels. You can also just set the input to "All," to simplify. Next, set the output selector to the Reason instrument you want to control.

Place the track into record ready and play. At this point you should be getting sound, provided that your Reason devices are properly connected to the virtual Hardware Interface, and you have selected the corresponding ports in the Reason/Rewire plugin on the Pro Tools Instrument track.

You should also verify that Reason is in fact running in Rewire Slave mode. If it's not, then chances are you manually launched it before starting Pro Tools or before inserting the Reason/Rewire plug on the instrument track. Don't do this. Instead, just launch Pro Tools, insert the plugin, and allow Reason to launch automatically in Rewire mode.

Hope this helps!

-Ben B
Old 3rd January 2013
  #4
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
What are the listed Preference options in Reason and how are they set?

fb
Im guessing you want the Keyboard and Control Surfaces tab?

Both my Korg and my Novation midi controllers are "set to use with Reason".
and "Standard master keyboard input".
Those are the onlyu options on that tab.

(however I have also tried disabling the novation so it is NOT set to use with Reason... either way it still doesnt work in any other plugin.)
Old 3rd January 2013
  #5
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
....

If you're inserting the Reason/Rewire plug on an Instrument track, make sure you set your Mix Window to display "Instruments." When that is done, you should see the MIDI input and output path selectors at the very top of the Instrument track. Set the input to receive from your controller on all channels. You can also just set the input to "All," to simplify. Next, set the output selector to the Reason instrument you want to control....

-Ben B
Ben,

first thing,
I followed all your instructions except for the part above. I don't know how to display instruments.

second thing,
I dont want to use Reason at all right now. What I'm trying to do is use my midi controller in Omnisphere and Xpand or really any other plugin. If iI do what you say, will it work that way.?
Old 3rd January 2013
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Ben B's Avatar
 

Well, you might want to make sure your controller is enabled under the Input Devices list.
Old 3rd January 2013
  #7
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Well, you might want to make sure your controller is enabled under the Input Devices list.
It's enabled. Checked and everything. and yet i still am getting nothing.

i know the controller works because it works in Reason. So why wont it work with anything else anymore?

This is so frustrating. and infuriating.

Shannon
Old 3rd January 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Ben B's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bifbangpow View Post
It's enabled. Checked and everything. and yet i still am getting nothing.

i know the controller works because it works in Reason. So why wont it work with anything else anymore?

This is so frustrating. and infuriating.

Shannon
Does it show up in the Input Devices list? Is it selectable in the MIDI Input Path Selector for a MIDI or Instrument track?

Please describe the exact procedure you're using now. Perhaps I or someone else can spot the problem that way.
Old 3rd January 2013
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Does it show up in the Input Devices list? Is it selectable in the MIDI Input Path Selector for a MIDI or Instrument track?

Please describe the exact procedure you're using now. Perhaps I or someone else can spot the problem that way.

yes. it shows up in the Input Devices List. and it's checked.

Yes it is selected in he midi input path for the instrument track.

Before I installed Reason, this is the exact procedure that worked perfectly"

1. I plugged the midi controller into the USB port
2. I opened protools and created an instrument track.
3. I clicked on the inserts section of the track channel and went MULTICHANNEL PLUGIN/ INSTRUMENTS/ XPANDER (or any other plugin)
4. The plugin (i.e. Xpander, Omnisphere, etc.) then opened up
5. I selected a sound from the plugins library, and started playing my midi controller.

it used to be that simple.

But ever since I installed Reason, this is what happens:

1. I plug in the midi controller into the USB port.
2. I open protools and create an instrument track.
3. I click on the inserts section of the instrument track and follow MULTICHANNEL PLUGIN/ INSTRUMENTS/ XPANDER (or any other plugin)
4. The plugin (i.e. xpander, omnisphere, whatever) opens up
5. I push the keys on my midi controller but NOTHING HAPPENS.

NO sound. NO green signal on the signal bar. Nothing.

HOWEVER, if I follow the same exact process and then follow MULTICHANNEL PLUGIN/ INSTRUMENTS/ REASON instead of any other plugin, everything works fine.

So clearly somehow REASON is usurping my midi signal even if it's not open.


NOw this is all the things Ive all ready tried to fix it:

1. I have gone into REASON and opened PREFERENCES/ KEYS AND CONTROLLERS and unchecked my midi controller from the list so that it is no longer enabled to be used in REASON. (I had hoped that if i disabled the midi controller in REASON, that the midi signal would work again in Omnisphere and the other plugins... assuming that Reason was somehow blocking any other plugin from receiving the midi signal.)

2. I have gone in ProTools to SETUP/ MIDI/ INPUT DEVICES to make sure that my midi controller (novation remote 25 LE) is listed and checked. It is.

3. I have tried various combinations of restarting and plugging in my hardwares. (i.e. turn everything off, then plug in midi controller, then turn on mbox, then turn on computer, then open protools VERSUS turn on mbox, then computer, then protools, then plug in midi controller, ETC.) to no avail.

4. I have followed in protools to SETUP/ PREFERENCES/ MIDI TAB but I found nothing there that seemed to have anything to do withthis. (unless you know something I don't know)

5. I dont remember the exact path, but I also found a menu that allowed me to select HUI and my novation... but i dont remember how i got there and it didnt work so i undid everything.

I only even mention REASON because I only started having a problem with my midi setup after I installed Reason. It always worked with other plugins before that, so I'm only assuming this issue has something to do with Reason. I suppose it might be entirely unrelated.

Meanwhile i have only a couple weeks to record and arrange amd mix and master this track and I really need to use my midi controller. If not for the fact that it works in Reason, I would just think my controller was broken. But it does, so it isnt.

Please please help me somebody.

Old 3rd January 2013
  #10
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Does it show up in the Input Devices list? Is it selectable in the MIDI Input Path Selector for a MIDI or Instrument track?

Please describe the exact procedure you're using now. Perhaps I or someone else can spot the problem that way.

yes. it shows up in the Input Devices List. and it's checked.

Yes it is selected in he midi input path for the instrument track.

Before I installed Reason, this is the exact procedure that worked perfectly"

1. I plugged the midi controller into the USB port
2. I opened protools and created an instrument track.
3. I clicked on the inserts section of the track channel and went MULTICHANNEL PLUGIN/ INSTRUMENTS/ XPANDER (or any other plugin)
4. The plugin (i.e. Xpander, Omnisphere, etc.) then opened up
5. I selected a sound from the plugins library, and started playing my midi controller.

it used to be that simple.

But ever since I installed Reason, this is what happens:

1. I plug in the midi controller into the USB port.
2. I open protools and create an instrument track.
3. I click on the inserts section of the instrument track and follow MULTICHANNEL PLUGIN/ INSTRUMENTS/ XPANDER (or any other plugin)
4. The plugin (i.e. xpander, omnisphere, whatever) opens up
5. I push the keys on my midi controller but NOTHING HAPPENS.

NO sound. NO green signal on the signal bar. Nothing.

HOWEVER, if I follow the same exact process and then follow MULTICHANNEL PLUGIN/ INSTRUMENTS/ REASON instead of any other plugin, everything works fine.

So clearly somehow REASON is usurping my midi signal even if it's not open.


NOw this is all the things Ive all ready tried to fix it:

1. I have gone into REASON and opened PREFERENCES/ KEYS AND CONTROLLERS and unchecked my midi controller from the list so that it is no longer enabled to be used in REASON. (I had hoped that if i disabled the midi controller in REASON, that the midi signal would work again in Omnisphere and the other plugins... assuming that Reason was somehow blocking any other plugin from receiving the midi signal.)

2. I have gone in ProTools to SETUP/ MIDI/ INPUT DEVICES to make sure that my midi controller (novation remote 25 LE) is listed and checked. It is.

3. I have tried various combinations of restarting and plugging in my hardwares. (i.e. turn everything off, then plug in midi controller, then turn on mbox, then turn on computer, then open protools VERSUS turn on mbox, then computer, then protools, then plug in midi controller, ETC.) to no avail.

4. I have followed in protools to SETUP/ PREFERENCES/ MIDI TAB but I found nothing there that seemed to have anything to do withthis. (unless you know something I don't know)

5. I dont remember the exact path, but I also found a menu that allowed me to select HUI and my novation... but i dont remember how i got there and it didnt work so i undid everything.

I only even mention REASON because I only started having a problem with my midi setup after I installed Reason. It always worked with other plugins before that, so I'm only assuming this issue has something to do with Reason. I suppose it might be entirely unrelated.

Meanwhile i have only a couple weeks to record and arrange amd mix and master this track and I really need to use my midi controller. If not for the fact that it works in Reason, I would just think my controller was broken. But it does, so it isnt.

Please please help me somebody.

Old 4th January 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Ben B's Avatar
 

Does the Novation connect to the computer via USB, or does it connect to your interface using MIDI cables?
Old 4th January 2013
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Does the Novation connect to the computer via USB, or does it connect to your interface using MIDI cables?
Its connected to the computer via USB.

I believe I could connect it to the m box via a midi cable though.

Thats actually the next thing i was gonna try.

Do you think that will work?

xo
Old 4th January 2013
  #13
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Does the Novation connect to the computer via USB, or does it connect to your interface using MIDI cables?
USB. I thought I would plug it into the mbox with a midi cable but apparently there is no midi input on my mbox.

So I've gotta get this thing to work.
Old 4th January 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Ben B's Avatar
 

Just curious, do you have the MIDI Thru option checked?
Old 20th January 2013
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
Just curious, do you have the MIDI Thru option checked?
I did. Turned out when setting up Reason, somehow it had changed the session settings in the little setting menu that opens just before the actual session opens. That settings menu is completely different from the settings menu inside the project, so I couldn't access that information with the project open. When I began a new project and that menu popped up again, I noticed the stereo setting had been changed. I restored it, and now midi works again. Unfortunately, it doesnt work the same as it once did.

It used to be as simple as inserting a plugin onto an instrument track.
Now, I do that, but in order to hear the plugin, I have to have the instrument track record enabled just like an audio track.

Anyhow, it works. Thank you Ben, thank you so much for hanging in there with me and trying to help! It really kept me sane.

May
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sguali / Music Computers
8
museician01 / Music Computers
1
Meriphew / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music and Location Recording
7
el cochino / Live Sound
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump