The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why such expensive convertor? Studio Headphones
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Why such expensive convertor?

Hey,

Any idea why he uses (in the video) an expensive convertor when is only itb? Or are there any signs that show he is otb?

This is the vid : Labrinth: Musical Marathon - YouTube

Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafeist View Post
Hey,

Any idea why he uses (in the video) an expensive convertor when is only itb? Or are there any signs that show he is otb?

This is the vid : Labrinth: Musical Marathon - YouTube

Thanks
Well, he is not always ITB. He is playing a bass guitar with analog output. That signal requires analog to digital conversion before the signal is ITB. Similarly, digital to analog conversion is needed to listen to what is recorded. In your case, it is your digital to analog converters that are being used, not his digital to analog converters.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Addict

re

He has got a lot of analog gear inside? I don't really understand what are you talking about.

synth gt, bass, ATC speker( DA) ecc...
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Guru
What does ITB have to do with using a good converter?
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I was not very clear i think...because i dont see a mixdesk (analog summing) i think he is mixing itb...so is he going out of the box or does he stay inside?
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Maniac

You need DA conversion to hear whats happening in the box.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Ok; But if he is doing itb mixing why does he need an apogee symphony (probably 8x8)...is that not too muc in & outs?

Thanks
Old 2nd January 2013
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by datafeist View Post
Ok; But if he is doing itb mixing why does he need an apogee symphony (probably 8x8)...is that not too muc in & outs?

Thanks
What if he wants to integrate some outboard EQ / compression at some point?
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

My guess is he's recording from out of the box and mixing in the box and perhaps incorporating out of the box boxes in the process,all the while using converters to record and hear what was in that box.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear
Sorry, but honestly, this question is kind of crazy... it's like asking why does he have all those keyboards AND 2 guitars when he can only play one at a time?

Sure, in this quick video he is doing a bit of simple tracking (which even he says is "crap") but maybe he needs to have more ins/outs for incorporating gear (like others have said) or maybe he sometimes needs to record a few things at once?

Also he uses a mac and apogees work well with Macs, maybe he likes the sound of the Symphony and the 8x8 was the smallest configuration at the time (you can now get a 2x6) maybe Apogee gave it to him as an endorsee?

He has a patchbay, but he could have some of those synths connected directly via digital or with more inputs he could have a couple of things set up at once so he didn't have to stop and re-patch (which kills creativity) even in that short video, he seems to be bothered by the time it takes to get his other bass out... or he might just think the meters on the symphony look cool in his rack (not judging, it was one of the reasons I almost bought one )
Old 2nd January 2013
These days, many folks record ITB, and often it can be with several musicians at the same time, so multi channel converters are essential.

As for cost?

Two channels of lets say Lavry AD and two of DA are not exactly inexpensive either, and this only covers stereo in and stereo out for monitoring.

Also, if one can afford top notch converters, why not?

Perhaps a better question might be, why are so many folks using cheap converters?

After all, this is Gear Slutz!
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search