The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
expensive convertor
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

expensive convertor

Can High End Converters result in Better Track Separation and soundquality when mixing ITB?

What do you think or know about this...
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

The real question would be if they make a difference in a real time bounce to disk, like with Protools.

This always starts a controversy, but to my ears, yes, it makes a huge difference. Probably not because of the converters, as they technically aren't being used, but because the clocking is better in the better converters, which affects sound quality and imaging.

Now some people argue that the clock is not being used in a bounce to disk, and some say it is being used.

I did an experiment where I composed a few measures using various Virtual Instruments (which is entirely in the box), did a basic mixdown with a few effects in my HD Omni (a high quality converter). I did a bounce to disk using this. Then I switched my interface to the NI Komplete Audio 6 (which represents a typical low budget consumer interface, though it sounds pretty good) and did the same bounce to disk, not changing anything. Then I switched to my Mac's built in output as the interface and did the same thing. I then burned a CD of these and listened back in my car and on headphones from a stereo, and the difference in quality was obvious in each case.
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

No...except that a better DA will make you mix better because you can hear better.
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, they make a huge difference.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search