The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Alternative to UA LA610?
Old 28th December 2012
Here for the gear

Alternative to UA LA610?

I'm looking for an alternative to the UA LA-610. I do like the sound of that unit (my associate has one) but I'm P'd off with the company for marketing reasons. I'm prepared to move up the food chain, so to speak, provided that the price increase is merited by audio quality. My main use will be with j bass, acoustic bass, acoustic guitar, and male vocals (miktec cv-4). (Note to UA - limited promotion offers can P off future customers who don't get the same deal - Yeah - I'm a dick -get over it.)
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear
Ah?

Just curious as promotions come and go,how exactly has UA done you wrong ?

There promotions often end Dec. 31st so what promotion did you miss ?

Kcat
Old 28th December 2012
Hate to say it but for what you wanna use it for you can't beat that pre for the price. Or just get a 6176
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

I like my UA solo 610 for my vox
Old 28th December 2012
Here for the gear

Reply to Kcatthedog

They haven't "done me wrong" per se, and I know their promotions change every 6 months (OMITTED - I WAS WRONG) . However, when an associate buys a LA-610 last year and gets a free UAD duo thrown in - but they won't give me the same deal (when I ask nicely) - I start to look for other options. (I don't want a 4-710 - their most recent promotion - I was looking for the LA-610).

Perhaps I'm being unreasonable but I believe that if a company wants to promote their product line, they should promote their product line - not just one product. Daisy picking the promotions potentially alienates customers. Let's just say I'm alienated.

SO

Anyone know of an alternative with equal or better quality to the LA-610? I wanted the 610 for the "tube sound" mainly for my basses. I was thinking of changing that out to a Radial firefly DI for the tube sound on the bass and getting another pre/comp duo - perhaps a 500 series. Any ideas?
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Just buy a used one and don't worry about it

Alternative to UA LA610?Universal Audio La 610 LA610 MKII MK II UA La 610 MK 2 Rack Pre Amp | eBay

.....unless,of course, you have a zillion dollars for some of these

D.W. Fearn
Old 6th January 2013
Here for the gear

Just gonna go for it

Well, I waited for the new year, hoping for a promotion on the unit. Alas, no promotion. Just gonna go for the LA 610. I was hoping to get DSP card to get a UA 1176 plug-in - but oh well. I'll save up for new hardware units instead of the UA plugs. Gonna have to wait for a bit cuz I'm working out of town.

Thanks to all who replied!

Cheers,

Blind Eddy
Old 6th January 2013
Gear Maniac

I'd go the 6176, having that 1176 makes the unit so amazing in many ways.
Old 6th January 2013
Here for the gear

@Murton

Yeah, I was thinking about the 6176 but the unit is close to $1,000 more. If I go for the la-610 I still get a nice (but different) comp that sounds nice on my bass and vocals. Then I'll save up for an 1176 of some sort. (I've been hearing good things about the Purple Audio MC77 but haven't heard one yet.) I'm on a limited budget; which is why I was pissed because I missed the DSP promo.
Old 6th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsung View Post

.....unless,of course, you have a zillion dollars for some of these

D.W. Fearn
Man, I love my Fearn's.
I did not pay a zillon dollars for them. I DID pay a lot for them for, though. Just the satisfaction of hearing their output could have been enough, really -- but it's also about the way they were designed and how they are built. Doug's commitment to his products and customers is fierce.

But, as far as a lower budget goes, if you need a really classic/vintage inspired tube/transformer coupled mic preamp, I would suggest checking out the AMI-TAB Funkenwerk V78M
This one is also really special. I'd like to park a pair in my rack as soon as possible.
Old 6th January 2013
Lives for gear
4-710d

Ah why did't you buy this, keep the satalite duo and sell the 4-071d and buy a 610?

I think you would get the plug discount too ?

But is that Promo done too ?

Kcat
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Maniac

I was lucky to get the UAD Quad when I bought my 6176, so it was a no brainer. UA do different promotions all the time, wait out long enough and you'll get something cool soon enough. Much more than pretty much any other company does in terms of promotions.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

The thing is, regardless of how anyone feels about the 610, it's a pretty unique tone and you're not going to find anything else that acts quite like it. So, if you want that sound, you're limited to UA. It's not like an 1176 where you can shop elsewhere and get the same basic vibe.
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Addict

I own the TAB V71, and I use it primarily for DI bass and electric guitar. I also own a Solo-610 with great NOS tubes (thanks Bowie ).

I really dig the sound of the 610, but for me the TAB is just more versatile sounding.

If the V78 is anything like the V71 (I'm assuming it's basically the same plus a transformer/XLR input) than it's a really sweet piece of gear.

By the time you outfit a 610 with decent tubes (which you're definitely gonna want to do), the V78 is only a few hundred more. And of course it comes stock with NOS Telefunkens. heh
Old 12th January 2013
Here for the gear

Well.....
I didn't have the resolve/patience to wait and I let go of my petulance about not getting the promo - so now I'm the proud owner of a spanking new la-610. I know I like the sound at my buddy's studio. So I'm sure it'll improve my signal chain.

I have just begun to "play" with it to learn all of it's nuances.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search