The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
At4040 no sound
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

At4040 no sound

HI ALL. Im desperate.

I just purchased an AT4040 from USA (but I am in Europe) and connected
it via XLR to XLR cable to SAFFIRE 6 USB interface (and from there to my PC and ableton live)
Nothing HAppens. NOthing at all.

Of course I have phantom 48v power on.

With exactly the same setup and cable, my shure pg81 (also condenser mic) works great.

IS there any case for compatibility issues between a USA mic and european interface and PC? I understand USA has 110v of power compared to 220volts in europe, but does this have anything to do with this case???

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED HIGHLY
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

110/220 wouldn't have anything to do with it.
Take the mic apart and see if there is a disconnected wire maybe.
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

send that piece of crap back. its a overrated mic. at2035 better
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

WHF IS GOING ON? I AM DRIVING CRAZY. IS IT POSSIBLE TO BE BROKEN? I MEAN its new ,it even had plastics on its surface. Is there any case not to be compatible with tha interface and work with another preamp isntead???????????

SOS SOS HEEEELP I spent all my money on it................
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alstathis View Post
Is there any case not to be compatible with tha interface and work with another preamp isntead???????????
No. If the mic works, and you have everything hooked up properly (cables that work, phantom power, etc..) then it should work with your interface. If the mic is broken and you bought it new contact the place you bought it from and have it replaced.
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

thanks unitymusic but its very costy to have it replaced since I am in Europe and I bought it from USA.

How on earth can this be defective since it is new?
On its bottom its pins are gold , while the pins of my shure pg81 are silver colour. COuld that mean that another cable would be needed? ?

My head is gonna explode
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Can u plug it into a pa or a simple mixer just to eliminate anything else in your chain? Also try a different cable, even tho that cable works with the other mic…..just do it.
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks unitymusic but its very costy to have it replaced since I am in Europe and I bought it from USA.

How on earth can this be defective since it is new?
On its bottom its pins are gold , while the pins of my shure pg81 are silver colour. COuld that mean that another cable would be needed? ?

My head is gonna explode
Doesn't matter what color the pins are.And yeah,it could be defective,it happens..rarely.
DO NOT EXPLODE...send it back.
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

THANKS ALL for your responses, I think I ve been fooled BIG TIME

Just to clear it our: u all agree there is no way for incompatibility issues between a USA mic and European gear, correct??

ANY OTHER IDEAS?????

I am uploading photos..............
I am so desperate..............

Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

im assuming youre not dumb enough to be connecting the at4040 to the preamp that has inst on
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

this is not the problem esemsevenbee at it doesn't respond no matter if inst is on or off.

I wish I was stupid and the problem is due to a misconception by me...............

but as the time passes I am getting more and more convinced that I purchased a defective piece of crap
Old 15th December 2012
Did you try a different XLR cable ?
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

Hi Nutra. thanks for the reply.

No I didn't because I don't have another XLR ,and stores are closed to go and buy another one.

Another user told me to try change the cable. Do you think there could be a slight chance of solving this by changing the cable? BUt how on earth this cable can work fine with the shure PG81 (it also needs phantom)

I have an XLR to TRS jack but I understand this is unsitable as it doesnt transfer phantom power,correct?
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

correct.

Eliminate the simple stuff first.

Try diff cable. Also try different channel.

Do you get any input indication at all on the interface? Are you monitoring the input instead of the playback?

Re-try the other mic again to be sure you haven't blown the phantom power by hot plugging.
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

Why do I have to be so [email protected]@ unlucky. I must have the only defective audio technica mic in the wolrd
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

also, if you bought it from ebay. i won a case with a guy who sold me a re27 that sounded like crap. it took a while though. if you got it from ebay be as professional as possible. tell him the mic doesnt work and youd like to return it immediately. if they dont agree then open a case. the guy i had to deal with kept trying to use echecks that bounced and tried to con me saying he was gonna send it back etc. ebay eventually gave me the money and went after him. he was selling a lot of stuff worth thousands of dollars too and still claimed he didnt know how to refund me money using paypal lol.

im sure he racked up some fees with his crap. luckily he admitted t recievingi t claimingi t worked fine and was bragging how he was using it daily. had ohastle ihm cause he kept ignoring me and not paying when he said he would. some of these guys are dicks. i was gonna be happy with a partial refun but when i filed a claim on him it was full refund [email protected]
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear
Try another XLR cable. I have the AT4040 and its very sensitive to XLR cables. It flat out refuses to work with some of my cables especially cheap ones which work with other mics. Get a decent cable and test.
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

I have the AT4040 and I used to have a mixer that is supposed to have 48v phantom power, but it doesn't. Maybe your interface isn't outputting the full 48v?
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

@ miscend: Wow u managed to give me a hope, beacuse this mic seems great to my eyes,
I cannot believe its a piece of crap.
Indeed, my XLR cable is a 4$ cable, I hope this will fix it

@esemsevenbee: arnold video was funny u made my mood.
Indeed, I bought it from a usa mega eshop within EBAY with thousands
of transactions. I didnt know that when you open a case , ebay itself
reimburses the buyer and then it chases the seller.
That is what I am going to do if they dont replace it to me. thnks
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

thanks all for your responses.

Livid ,I think the interface 48v is ok because it simply wokrs fine when I connect shure pg81 on it.....
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanks all for your responses.

Livid ,I think the interface 48v is ok because it simply wokrs fine when I connect shure pg81 on it.....
Your PG81 can be powered by either Phantom power or a AA battery. Take the battery out and see if it works or not. If you're using an XLR to TRS cable it's very likely the Phantom power isn't getting to the AT4040 or the PG81 once the battery is removed.

Edit: I reread the thread and it looks like you were using XLR-XLR, but mentioned the XLR-TRS along the way. Again check that there is no battery in the PG81 and try.

See the spec sheet statement about the power....
http://www.shure.com/uploads/specifi..._specsheet.pdf
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

MarkF48, I know exactly what u mean. I removed the battery from PG81 and connected both mics to my interface via XLR to XLR (forget about the XLR to TRS). The result is that PG81 works fine but there is absolutely NOTHING FROM at4040.

I cross my fingers to solve this simply by trying a more expensive XLR to XLR cable as 2 users above advised me...... (also I am waiting for a DBX 286a to arrive but this is irrelevant with my problem)
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Is the -10db pad switch in the correct position? You probably tried this, but operate the pad and rolloff switch back and forth just in case one was hung in a non operating position.
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
MarkF48, I know exactly what u mean. I removed the battery from PG81 and connected both mics to my interface via XLR to XLR (forget about the XLR to TRS). The result is that PG81 works fine but there is absolutely NOTHING FROM at4040.

I cross my fingers to solve this simply by trying a more expensive XLR to XLR cable as 2 users above advised me...... (also I am waiting for a DBX 286a to arrive but this is irrelevant with my problem)
unless youre doing live radio stuff i dont see why you need that. use software.
Old 15th December 2012
Here for the gear

YEah Mark i messed around with every knob and switch.....still nothing

DO you believe my 6$ cheap XLR to XLR could be the cause of my problem? Although this cable manages well the PG81? 2 users already told me that this can cause the problem cause AT404 is very sensitive to cables.
Cross fingers.......
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

I doubt the mic is bad. I would swap cable before you drive yourself crazy.
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
YEah Mark i messed around with every knob and switch.....still nothing

DO you believe my 6$ cheap XLR to XLR could be the cause of my problem? Although this cable manages well the PG81? 2 users already told me that this can cause the problem cause AT404 is very sensitive to cables.
Cross fingers.......
It's possible. I do have one cable in my bunch that's a bit flaky, but it usually acts up with all my mics, not just one. It very well could be one of the connectors in the cable is slightly off tolerance for fit and doesn't contact the AT4040 pins well. Hard to say. Owning more than one cable is probably a good idea. I've gotten into building my own.

Besides a digital multimeter, the handiest little box I have is a Amazon.com: Behringer CT100 Cable Tester: Musical Instruments

One thought came to mind that could be a remote possibility. I looked at the specs on my condenser mics including the AT4040. Most of my mics draw about 2 to 3ma of phantom power current. The SM81 is speced at 2ma. The AT4040 spec indicates it pulls 4.2ma. I couldn't find a spec on what your Saffire 6 can supply for current from the phantom power. It should be sufficient, but if the mic takes more than it can handle possibly the mic won't power up. The Saffire 6 is also USB powered. I've had problems on certain USB ports of a desktop and laptop that couldn't supply enough power to a device (not interfaces). Again these are some possibilities and maybe there is a small chance the mic you have is unfortunately dead.

I do have a DBX286s and it's a good little box. Maybe that will yield better luck with the AT4040 when you get it.
Old 15th December 2012
Lives for gear

First things first. Get a new cable. And get a decent cable. If the new cable does not work try testing your phantom power so that not the problem. I could almost bet this is the cable.

If the mic does turn out to be broken your entitled to a replacement and all shipping fees should be paid for by the place you bought it..

and @esemsevnbee - AT 4040 is one of the best all round mics in that price range, much better than the 2035. Working in a number of top end studios, with serious mic selections a 4040 would some what find a place in there, a 2035 not so much.
πŸ“ Reply