The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Versatile bass drum mic on a budget
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Head

I know this is a little old now, but has anyone any experience with the new EV RE320? The original RE20 is out of my budget, but the 320 is considerably cheaper. Also, it's "dual voice" has a switch which makes it more tailored to a kick drum mic specifically - sounds like the perfect solution! Anyone had any experience of this one?
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
People say things like don't use it inside the drum, or use a pop filter, etc. That is enough to make me say never mind.

Poppycock; I put ribbon mics inside bass drums all the time. The trick is to not point the capsule/ribbon motor directly at the beater; this softens the blow. What I do with ribbons is point the null at the beater, the mic gets the boom and wood of the shell that way. You can do the same thing with a cardoid dynamic, but slightly differantly; just angle the capsule 10-20 degrees off axis with the beater and problem solved.

For balance, there was a recent thread where a user said an RE20 was blown due to kick use, so you need to be carefull with anything really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_chisholm View Post
I know this is a little old now, but has anyone any experience with the new EV RE320? The original RE20 is out of my budget, but the 320 is considerably cheaper. Also, it's "dual voice" has a switch which makes it more tailored to a kick drum mic specifically - sounds like the perfect solution! Anyone had any experience of this one?
Search grasshopper; search. Plenty of threads comparing the 2 on kick (and other tasks).
Old 28th December 2012

try an sm7 !
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
Poppycock; I put ribbon mics inside bass drums all the time.
But I was not speaking about ribbon mics or any mics in general but of very specific reports regarding the M-88. These reports speak about a unique vulnerability of that mic's diaphragm to the actual 'wind' blast.

I have never owned one, but these tales about the M-88, forgive the expression, pop up far too often for me to be willing to disregard them as coincidence or user error.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

A ribbon is MUCH more delicate (especially as regards blasts of wind) than any dynamic (the M88 is not a ribbon, though Beyer does make some nice ribbons) ... I also mentioned dynamic mics specifically; read/quote the entire post, not just the first line.

My point was you can blow anything by putting it inside a kick pointed right at and placed very close to the beater. Just back it off and tilt it off axis a bit, no matter which mic you use.
Old 28th December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
But I was not speaking about ribbon mics or any mics in general but of very specific reports regarding the M-88. These reports speak about a unique vulnerability of that mic's diaphragm to the actual 'wind' blast.

I have never owned one, but these tales about the M-88, forgive the expression, pop up far too often for me to be willing to disregard them as coincidence or user error.
My M88 seems to last about 3 to 4 years as a kick drum mic, used probably 8 times a month. Sounds great! I see it like getting new strings.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Gremlin View Post
A ribbon is MUCH more delicate (especially as regards blasts of wind) than any dynamic (the M88 is not a ribbon, though Beyer does make some nice ribbons) ... I also mentioned dynamic mics specifically; read/quote the entire post, not just the first line.

My point was you can blow anything by putting it inside a kick pointed right at and placed very close to the beater.
And I think you are the one missing MY point.

I am not disagreeing that generically ribbon mics are more "delicate" than dynamics. I am well aware that the M-88 is a dynamic. Nor am I disagreeing with your positioning advice. The M-88 has a unique widely-reported flaw that makes it susceptible to movement of air leaving and returning into the drum after an initial strike. This can happen even when not placed close to the beater. The manufacturer even addresses this in the manual!

Quote:
you can blow anything by putting it inside a kick pointed right at and placed very close to the beater.
But you can blow up an M88 just by putting it peeking into the hole with no windscreen. This is not a matter of "delicacy" to SPLs, but a characteristic vulnerability in the design of the mic, its diaphragm, its vents, or whatever to the sudden movement of air in and out of the drum. Many users theorize that the 'return' air is doing the damage, not the initial SPL.

There are plenty of dynamic mics that can go inside a kick drum and with careful positioning, NEVER require a pop shield. The M88 is not one of them.

Unless you OWN and USE an m-88 in kick drums all the time without a windscreen, and can offer a counterpoint to all the anecdotes, I would suggest that your general statement of the durability of dynamic mics, while technically correct, is not applicable in this specific instance.

That is MY point. A quick search around the web:
Quote:
I do make it a practice to keep mine out of the path of air blasts coming from ports/vents on resonant-side bass drum heads...
Quote:
...You need a wrap-around foamie all around the capsule to try to protect against element overexcursion (permanently damaging the mic). Beyer sells one and recommends this....The thing was not designed to live inside kick drums. Yes it sounds great. Some people have had theirs last a while in there. Others have been fried...
Quote:
In the manual for the M88-TG, Beyer mandates a pop screen when using this microphone with bass drum.* I've never met anyone that actually uses one in that application (I certainly never have, with mine), but the clear implication... is that damage could occur without it.
Quote:
...in the Kick Drum (for this application the use of an external popshield like PS 88 or WS 59 is strongly recommended) - from Beyer's own literature.
Quote:
That's the thing with M88s. They don't give any indication of abuse in the kick drum. They sound great up until the moment they cut out. I've killed two this way. I now use a foamy.
Quote:
The overexcursion is due to pressure changes that the pop filter isn't going to insulate from.
Quote:
My M88 sounded great till the last 2 hits. That's when it kinda crackled and died. Literally took a second.
Quote:
I love the M88 as much as the next guy, but we have gone through 3 this past year alone.
Old 29th December 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinhurwitz View Post
My M88 seems to last about 3 to 4 years as a kick drum mic, used probably 8 times a month. Sounds great! I see it like getting new strings.
If I loved the sound of it, then I suppose a few hundred dollars every once in a while could be viewed as an 'expense' instead of an 'investment'. heh

I prefer other mics in the kick anyway, so I would rather use the money to be ADDING mics to my locker as opposed to simply REPLACING the same mic!
Old 4th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Songwriter View Post
Aren´t these two extremely scooped mics? The OP wanted something "fairly neutral".
I'd say the mondo is more tuned than scooped.. it's not dramatic.. just a great kick mic at a fair price
Old 11th February 2013
Gear Maniac

I tried at4040, 4-5 inches from the hole with some kind of kick tunnel (to isolate the the other pieces of the kit). -10db pad is engaged as well.
The kick sound was so good u almost want to grab and eat it.
I can post some samples later on. (in 4-5 hours)
Old 11th February 2013
Here for the gear
Heil PR40!
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

I love the ev868. A used atm25 would be my second choice.
Old 11th February 2013
Heil PR 40. Has not let me down. On kick brass guitar and percussion. Been happy on lead voice on a radio single too.

Sent from my GT-I9300
Old 11th February 2013
EV RE320 is worth considering.
Attached Files

re320 kick pultec compilation.mp3 (2.27 MB, 324 views)

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search