The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann TLM mic series. Which do you like?
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Neumann TLM mic series. Which do you like?

It's been awhile since I was able to concentrate on recording. Seems that my memory is not so good either. I know there was fans and foes of the TLM series mics. Which do you like and why?
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Nut

ive seen everyone say the 103 sucks. the 102 is ok but not great apparently good for female vocals. i wouldnt buy it. buy me sum used at2035's for 50 dollars on the ebays yoooo
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

149 works on everything from vocals to reeds to acoustic instruments.

103 is excellent for VO.
Old 12th December 2012
Deleted User
The TLM-103 is really not that bad for the money. People have gotten spoiled using the higher end Neumann mics. Sure the 103 is slightly brittle compared to a U87, but on some voices they sound very good. Also, it needs to be matched to the right preamp, usually one that is fairly dark sounding in my experience. A bright mic with a bright preamp usually won't win too many friends.
Old 12th December 2012
Shhh......its not in fashion to like a tlm mic on Gearslutz. Some will say Neumann sold out with the tlm series. I personally think Neumann is still making some of very fine mikes these days. Tad overpriced but still very high quality, not vintage but modern. Used they are a much better bargain. The Tlm mics seem to all have that "neumann" velvet quality that I like. Mics are so subjective though, and there are some boutique maker that offer greater value.

tlm102 = flat in a good way, but still has that neumann sound. Versatile mic.
tlm103 = lots of presence and can be very good on male vox with a neve pre to warm it up.
tlm49= I own it. Its sounds great on soft intimate vocals, very detailed, clear and intimate. It sounds good for most vocals and keeps it real, not always the best choice but good overall. The tube emulation can be a unpleasant on the screamers. It also excels on stand up bass, cello, acoustic guitar and kick drum. Treating the area around the mic warms it up a lot as this mic tends to pick up everything! (bright walls/floors)
tlm67 = basically a warmer version of a u87. works great on anything a u87 does. Can sound like a u87 by tweaking eq.
Old 12th December 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

I really liked both the 102 and 67 on my voice when trying them out...

Chris
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

TLM 103 is great on floor tom... I've had some success on male vocals too.
TLM 49 really liked this on my own vocals... male baritone.
TLM 193 love this mic for it's LACK of a presence peak.
TLM 170R the multi-pattern version of the 193.
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Thanks Guys.

I've owned the TLM103. I actually liked it a lot for silkyness, but had to EQ the hump around 7khz if I recall. Not a bad mic at all.

Right now I have vintage: MG um70, (2) 414 p48, KM84, RE20 and a slew of other dynamics for drums and amps etc. I sold most of my gear for a trans-Atlantic move. Now I am back and setting things up again. I will probably be recording mostly accoustic stuff, male vocals (no screaming stuff) and the occasional jazz trio or country or Rockabilly stuff etc. Nothing heavy. Minimalistic drum micing (3-4).

Mics I have owned and enjoyed in the past for my vocals are the AT 4047 and Peluso 2047. I liked both, but neither really had that Neuman silk. Will the 49 or 147 cover similar sonic territory?

My vocal preamp is a Vintage Neve 1272 pro converted to a mic pre with grey hill step switch etc. I'm looking at the UA LA610. So that should help give ya an idea of my tastes. Neve, LA2a compression, vintage Neumann mics etc.
Old 12th December 2012
Gear Guru

The TLM series are all good, choose the one that does the job you want.

The people who don't like the TLM series are those who like the distortions that a transformer adds to the sound.

Neumann made the TLM series as they wanted to reduce microphone distortions.

Personally, I prefer microphones without a transformer - but each to his own and you choose the mic. That does the job you want it to.

Gefell even make the same mic. with and without a transformer to give you the choice (M930 and M930Ts).
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

I had the TLM103 for 13 years before it was destroyed thanks to Sandy. It worked really well on acoustic guitar and male vocals run through an Avalon 737. Two of the most hated pieces of gear on GS!

I also used the TLM102 on male vocals when it first came out. I really thought it did a great job slightly warming up the signal with its low end boast. It also sounded quite nice on acoustic guitar, finger picking.
Old 12th December 2012
Lives for gear

The two I'm most familiar with are the TLM 170 and 102 microphones. The 170 is very neutral sounding compared to the 102.

Dennis
Old 13th December 2012
Deleted 7a0e5c3
I love my TLM103-VT737 combo on most male vocals. Only on harsh sounding vocals the 103 is a bit too sharp and I would prefer a somewhat darker mic.
I did a shootout with different mics including the U87 and TLM102 on acoustic guitars and vocals. The 103 was very similar sounding to the U87. The U87 had a slightly fatter bottom, though.
Contrary to the common belief here, I found the TLM102 to sound much brighter than the 103. You can look for the test results I posted a few months ago.
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

TLM103 is great. No experience with the others.
Old 13th December 2012
Here for the gear

TLM102 is great too. Goin through either a Golden Age pre73 DLX or an Avalon 737. Gets used around here more than the AKG C414 XL-II and the Brauner Phantom C i have.
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Head

have no complaints with my TLM 49.
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Maniac

I really like the TLM 103
On vocals, acoustic guitars, drums, room...

Works great with a lot of pres including Avalon 737 and Great River.

9 times out of 10 it's my to go mic on male vocals over the rode K2, AKG C414, SM7 and RE20
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

I own a pair of TLM 102 and love it one everything i record with so far.....
OH'S , female vocal. Acc guit.
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Nut

TLM 67 - awesome mic, love it on male vocals!
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Nut

Bigbone : how accurate is the stereo imaging of the 102? Ever used them for rooms?

Thanks
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_LPF View Post
Bigbone : how accurate is the stereo imaging of the 102? Ever used them for rooms?

Thanks
Very Accurate,i use them as OH and room, it' a neutral mic, not hype. i little bump in the 10K, not harsh, very ''neumann''
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

I like the TLMs. They are great for the money and are very versatile. I like the TLM103 for some vocals and VOs. Also the TLM102 is good for toms because of its size. The TLM170 sounds awesome on voiceovers.
Old 13th December 2012
Lives for gear

I like the TLM49 and TLM102
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Addict

102 is an awesome utility condenser, especially at the price point. 103's can be a little bright and hard, but are great in certain situations. The 49 is my fav - silky on smoother, slower transient vocals, acoustics, strings. Not great for heavier applications,
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Maniac

Imogen Heap's grammy winning album used a 103 on instruments and vocals.

I own one and find it to be VERY useful. TONS of gain, clean but not brittle like a 414 (to my ears).

Years ago when i sold all my big mics due to cutting down on commercial projects (Korby Modded vintage 87, Wunder CM7GT) i kept my 103.

As 2009 rolled around my semi-retirement had to be put on hold to take a few sessions to make ends meet. I used the 103 on 4 albums, loads of vocals and percussion, and acoustic guitar tracks. Now, its married to a Chandler Germanium and a Distressor..so its in REALLY good company. But a very very very useable mic and why its hated is beyond me. Its got a bit of weight to it showing its pedigree. Not cheap at all like the countless crappy cheap-o mics that are out today.

For the money its a fantastic mic.

D
Old 13th December 2012
Gear Head

I have a pair of 102s and they do a really good job on almost every source. I mainly use them for OHs, vocals and acoustic guitars through Neve and API preamps.
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have been very satisfied with the results of my TLM 49 mostly on vocals.
Old 14th December 2012
Gear Nut

I also own the TLM 102, and love it. Gets used on lots of stuff!
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRE Productions View Post
It's been awhile since I was able to concentrate on recording. Seems that my memory is not so good either. I know there was fans and foes of the TLM series mics. Which do you like and why?
The TLM-103 sucks so bad, I use it on my lead and backing vocals every chance I get, and sometimes on other people I record in my studio.

I haven't tried the 102 or 170.
Old 14th December 2012
Lives for gear

TLM 103 = Pre-dependent mic ... the right pre makes it great, the wrong one kills it. I had one for a few years. It loved tube pres (like the M610) and the GAP Pre-73. Oh and a distressor. Never really got a great sound out of it through solid state pres, though.
Old 14th December 2012
Gear Head

The Gap Pre-73 isn't a tube pre.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search