The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann TLM mic series. Which do you like?
Old 28th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Proximity seems to be one reason.
Makes Sense. I've been using it slightly off-axis, and a little farther away, and not having that problem. The slight turn tames high end, but still leaves plenty of definition.
Old 28th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
Had the same experience with the TLM49. Owned several of them over the years and found the rolled off low end to be a distraction. The "big" sound expected from this huge mic, never materialized. Always sold them in the end.

On the other hand, the TLM102 has much bigger sound relative to its size. The mid range usually needs to be tamed on most male vocalist I've used it on but female vocals shine. IMO.
Yes, that nonexistent low end on the 49 was what I hated as well. The mids ended up sounding pinched to me... Almost like when you single out that particular band on an eq, although not anywhere near that extreme.
Old 28th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Makes Sense. I've been using it slightly off-axis, and a little farther away, and not having that problem. The slight turn tames high end, but still leaves plenty of definition.
Not really what I meant -- more that the recordings I hear with them that sound the best are the ones where they're oriented directly on-axis but pretty far away from the source. Like at least a couple feet.
Old 28th December 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not really what I meant -- more that the recordings I hear with them that sound the best are the ones where they're oriented directly on-axis but pretty far away from the source. Like at least a couple feet.
That's old school!!

A friend has a TLM 147. It's a dog. I've mixed a few things done on a TLM 103 that were okay to work with. Most of my clients are older and they purchased their vocal mics before the TLM series came out. I never really loved the TLM 170 but many do. They are workable microphones but not in the same league as the golden era Neumanns. They just aren't.

Steve
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

Set for now (famous last words!)but it's cool, that the TLM 67 IMHO is a very nice sounding LDC. And it does retain the Max Mod MK 67 option.
Chris
Old 29th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
(...) I never really loved the TLM 170 but many do. They are workable microphones but not in the same league as the golden era Neumanns. They just aren't.
guess the tlm's were neither intended to replace the old tube mics nor are they supposed to be used the same way.

for recording of acoustic instruments, i take a tlm170r any day over u47/m49/u67 etc. - different story for vocal recording (although i like the tlm170r on classical singers at some distance a lot and often prefer it over my original u67 - same for the tlm67)...
Old 29th December 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
Yes, that nonexistent low end on the 49 was what I hated as well. The mids ended up sounding pinched to me... Almost like when you single out that particular band on an eq, although not anywhere near that extreme.
Totally agree. I also felt like I had to sing harder to move that K47 capsule. It sounded like they Hi-passed in advance. On the other hand, my partner has one of his best vocal tracks using the TLM 49. You never can tell.
Old 29th December 2019
Deleted b90f8c9
Quote:
Also, love the Copperhead on vocals.
I have my eye on this.
Old 30th December 2019
The TLM67 and TLM170. Don't like the TLM102 and 103 though.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b90f8c9 View Post
I have my eye on this.
I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's absolutely great on vocals. I've struggled with it on acoustic guitar in the past, but I'm learning how to use it in that application as well.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
talking about VO, sung vocals, or both?
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Guru

TLM 170 -

Why? It sounds big, good, natural. Not a tube mic, or meant to sound like one.
Old 30th December 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
talking about VO, sung vocals, or both?
Neither. More like orchestra recordings (mains, not spots), drum overheads, room mics, kick out (but way back), that kind of thing.

Before there was such a thing as Tiny Desk, I heard something similar that was done in an office cubicle farm with a Sennheiser 416 shotgun about 2 feet from the lead vocal and a 103 at least 10 feet back picking up the whole band. It sounded, as those things go, really good.
Old 30th December 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Neither. More like orchestra recordings (mains, not spots), drum overheads, room mics, kick out (but way back), that kind of thing.

Before there was such a thing as Tiny Desk, I heard something similar that was done in an office cubicle farm with a Sennheiser 416 shotgun about 2 feet from the lead vocal and a 103 at least 10 feet back picking up the whole band. It sounded, as those things go, really good.
My 103 (one of the very first) always struck me as being somewhat scooped in the middle. For a Neumann that is. And far from clean. Especially for a transformerless mirophone.
But/So yes, from a distance it did pretty well actually. Lows and highs are what you lose first and it had ample amounts of both.
Also, from the dead side it sounded very smooth.
And the noise floor was low.
Three reasons why it can be used in a more ambient manner.

Still, I sold it in the end.

Do I miss it?

Nope.
Old 10th January 2020
Deleted b90f8c9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Adkins View Post
I doubt you'll be disappointed. It's absolutely great on vocals. I've struggled with it on acoustic guitar in the past, but I'm learning how to use it in that application as well.
What style of pre would you select for a tube mic like this?
Old 10th January 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted b90f8c9 View Post
What style of pre would you select for a tube mic like this?
I can't speak for tube mics "like this" in general, but I'll say that the Copperhead is not picky about pres. It sounds great through a stock interface pre, to be honest. I also liked it through a Vintech 573 and AEA RPQ... Which says a lot, because those two pres are very different.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fried fingers View Post
Do you happen to know why Neumann wanted to get rid of transformer distortions but emulate tube distortions in a modern solid state microphone i.e. TLM49? Cost? Noise?
TLM is more accurate, but many people like the colourations that a transformer and/or valve (vacuum tube) give - which is why you have both options.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
TLM is more accurate, but many people like the colourations that a transformer and/or valve (vacuum tube) give - which is why you have both options.
And they're probably easier/cheaper to manufacture with mass produced circuit boards. When you look inside a TLM49, you see a "drop in" circuit/capsule device.

Matching tubes and getting a steady supply is definitely an issue. There are several mic makers that have had to change tubes like Telefunken in their Copperhead and others.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

They're all so different. I'd be happy with a 170 or 193 if Cardioid only is OK. The 103 was never my cup of tea but of Neumann USA hadn't marketed this mic as a "Cardioid only U87 with less noise" I think it wouldn't have gained such a negative vibe. It's very different from a U87 but I can be used with good results on a number of things. The TLM version of the oldies are a bit funky but they certainly work. Again not my cup of tea but they are great when you'd like the overall vibe of a 67 or 49, can't afford the real thing, don't want a clone with 75% Chinese parts and want a reliable mic that won't cause you trouble for several years. The recent models are interesting, the 102 looking very much like a cheaper 103 and the 107 being fitted with possibly the best medium size capsule from Neumann yet, electro-acoustically speaking. But overall they're all useful and quite different. I prefer the 170/193 for their more honest/modest response, they can be EQ'ed to work on anything really. But if you prefer character mics, the 103 might cut it if you need a forward type vocal mic, for instance.
Old 4 weeks ago
Had a chance to use a TLM103 on my vocal track last night. With all the GS negative posts, I've just assumed this was bad sounding mic. I have to admit I liked it better than the TLM49 and 102 on this track. Just used a DBX compressor right into a Steinberg interface, HPassed a bit and it was done. The client was happy and it just goes to show how important the song, vocalist and environment are to the performance of a mic.

Will I purchase one, probably not but "crow" is definitely on my menu tonight.

Last edited by RKeefe1032; 3 weeks ago at 03:42 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Had a chance to use a TLM103 on my vocal track last night. With all the GS negative posts, I've just assumed this was bad sounding mic. I have to admit I liked it better than the TLM49 and 102 on this track. Just used a DBX compressor right into a Steinberg interface, HPassed a bit and it was done. The client was happy and it just goes to show how important the song, vocalist and environment are to the performance of a mic.

Will I purchase one, probably not but "crow" is definitely on my menu tonight.

You say last night, Soundcloud says last year. Who is right, who is wrong?

"Vor 1 Jahr" = a year ago...
Attached Thumbnails
Neumann TLM mic series. Which do you like?-screenshot_2020-01-23-my-final-fare-landr-version-t-keefe-r-fenton.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkP View Post
You say last night, Soundcloud says last year. Who is right, who is wrong?

"Vor 1 Jahr" = a year ago...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search