The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Soundtrack to Grease
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Soundtrack to Grease

Is it just me, or is this a really great sounding recording? The musicianship and arranging are superb. The recording has great depth and a 3-D quality while remaining quite dry. It doesn't sound like a rock or pop record, even from the era in which the film was made.

Yesterday, I was listening to the final number, "You Better Shape Up" (or is it called "You're The One That I Want"?), and took particular notice of the bass playing. I became curious about the musical personnel on that recording, so I looked it up. There were two bassists on the Grease soundtrack: David Hungate and Mike Porcaro (two of my favorite bassists, both former members of my favorite band, Toto). That was a cool surprise.

There were some other serious cats playing on it too, such as Carlos Vega on drums. To me, Carlos sounds more like Jeff Porcaro than any other drummer I've heard. Makes me wonder why Jeff himself was not on the Grease soundtrack.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. Please don't flame me for thinking that this is some superb engineering and playing!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

+1 Grease IS The Word! Dig that soundtrack, some great arrangements.....
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Slightly unrelated, I found the vinyl double album for $1 sealed in perfect condition at a yard sale this summer.

It isn't sealed anymore.

And yes, the sound is great and from an odd time that can't exactly be pinned down. The 50's 80's.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search