The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Simple 500 series HPF & attenuator... Good idea? 500 Series Preamps
Old 29th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Simple 500 series HPF & attenuator... Good idea?

So I've been thinking, most 500 series users don't have a console full of channel strips and most 500 series pre's don't have HPF's or attenuators to clean up their signal and pad down the output if you want to drive the pre hard (512c, 1073LB etc).

Would anyone here be interested in a simple, no fuss, reasonably priced 500 series HPF & attenuator module? I know ShinyBox have their Guillotine (overcomplicated) and ClassicAPI have their VC528 (expensive). I'm talking a UK pro audio manufacture about the idea and figured I'd run it past you guys.

1 - Is it a descent idea and Is there already a product out there?

2 - What HP filter slope and frequencies would be most useful?

3 - What attenuation range would be best?

4 - Would stepped or sweeping pots be best for the filter & attenuator?

5 - Any other features worth bundling in? I thought a phase switch would be worthwhile and simple addition.

Let me know what you think.

Pete
Old 18th June 2013
Gear Addict

Did anyone manufacture one of these for the 500 series ?
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

great idea!
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

Classic API Missing Links

Classic Audio Products of Illinois
Old 27th January 2014
Gear Guru

No attenuation, but with continuously sweepable filters :

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/namm-...series-eq.html

The ML is great for filters, with some mojo and attenuation.

The Chop Shop is great for filters that are super clean and flexable, with a TILT EQ included that is killer - but unfortunately for your applications, no attenuation.

Two good choices.
Old 27th January 2014
Lives for gear

i'm sure the CAPI sounds great, but it's not exactly what i'm looking for personally.
The perfect combination would be a Bereich03 LC-HC -details paired with an attenuator like a GAS A-10 Attenuator

guess i'm going to buy two more A-10's and just forget about the HP Filter.
Old 9th March 2014
GAS
Gear Head

Thanks for the A-10 mention!

I also designed (and have been personally using) a passive high pass filter at some point but decided to not put it out. It seemed too expensive to make as a stand alone box.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

I have talked to my friend @ Bereich03 about my idea of combining his Filter unit with a pad. He actually liked the idea . . . .
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Would love the idea with detented pots. Definitely!

I'm a recall freak and so everything I own is stepped or switched which is why I would love it stepped.

That's a great combination and almost natural to follow a pre-amp.

I had pitched a similar idea to a gear maker about 10 months ago along with a graphic mockup but they brushed it aside. I still insist that there's a market for it.

Regards,
Frank
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Hint: Check out TK Audio's range in a few weeks.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
Hint: Check out TK Audio's range in a few weeks.
I know he just released a HP/LP 500 series module with steps which is fantastic. Do you mean he's going to release more stuff along the same lines? Possibly a HP/LP stepped module with output attenuation? That would be great even in a 19" rack.

Regards,
Frank
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

It's a great idea and a handy thing to have in the tool kit. But it can't be too expensive... otherwise it becomes cost prohibitive. I can't imagine HPF/LPF's could be that expensive to manufacture, could they? A 19' rack unit with a bank of 8 seems like the best approach. Who needs just one? Your already at aprx $75 just for a slot in a 500 series rack before you even start!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Well Harrison have released their famous hp/lp filters in a 1u19" - and it's $2350! Yup that's right
You can do the diy version - I've costed it roughly and you can do it for a couple of hundred plus case.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

The TK filter will be available in May, right now there's just the prototype... and no, there won't be another version of it soon, unless of course the demand justifies it so it's worth discussing it with TK. As I understand, the problem with rack units is the cost of the rack case and the PSU circuitry, so a basic circuit like a filter set in a Rack format is hardly cost effective. I think those new modules are great because they offer something rarely seen and the 500 format makes them affordable. If you need attenuation there are of course passive solutions, but if you need to add gain that's a problem. I'll ask TK about it.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think those new modules are great because they offer something rarely seen and the 500 format makes them affordable. If you need attenuation there are of course passive solutions, but if you need to add gain that's a problem. I'll ask TK about it.
I've seen them in another post and they definitely look great - especially the blend. Great idea for 500 series!

On the filter module, if he tightened up the faceplate a little, he could probably make room for one more knob at the bottom for attenuation! Another 41 detent knob would be fantastic.

Anyway - just an idea.

Thanks for the response!

Regards,
Frank
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, I brougth it up, we'll see what TK says; I agree that the Mini Blender is an excellent idea in this format.
Old 21st March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, I brougth it up, we'll see what TK says; I agree that the Mini Blender is an excellent idea in this format.
Agreed, it would be most awesome!
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

TK says the design is finalized and anyway there's no way to implement a gain pot without adding an extra active stage. So the filter will be fixed unity gain.
Old 21st March 2014
Lives for gear

Cool. Thanks for trying, though!

Regards,
Frank
Old 23rd June 2014
Lives for gear

I'm currently test driving some Bereich03 prototypes.
I think Bereich03 will have some good news in the near future for ya'll.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search