The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mojave Audio MA-200?
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Head

Mojave Audio MA-200?

Anyone have any experience with these Mojave Audio MA-200 mics? I have heard David Poyer has made and repaired mics and equipment in the L.A. area for years, but what about these mics? Souns like a great deal and seem to have good components ( jensen transformer, military tubes, etc...)
Old 26th July 2006
Lives for gear

yeah I would like to hear some opinions on this mic as well
Old 26th July 2006
Lives for gear

Search the new gear forum for my thoughts...and there may still be clips.

Suffice to say...it's a decent 67 knock off--which is something the world needs, IMO. There's a certain depth that it doesn't have compared to the originals (or frankly-most $4k+ LDCs)...but, it's the only choice in the price range that has that sound.

Whether that's "the" sound you're looking for is another question...
Old 26th July 2006
a year or so back, i shot it out with a producer buddy and it kicked all other
mic's butts on the female singer/speaker we tried it on.

we tried it against my manley ref-cardiod, a rode NT-V, a neumann 103,
an audio technica 4066 (is that the tube one? sorry...my mind grows cloudy).

the mojave beat them all. i've wanted one ever since, but we're too poor right now
to buy one. check one out...you'll like it i think.

marty.
Old 26th July 2006
Lives for gear

The 4060, Ref Card (I've no experience with the other two) are lower resonant mics--"47ish" and thus MUCH better suited for male vocals, IMO.

I would not really say the quality of the AT 4060 is "lesser"...while I'm not surprised on a female singer it would not be as good.

FWIW.
Old 26th July 2006
Lives for gear

BTW...I would LOVE to hear one of these with a real KK67 or KK87 cap in it. Sure, that would make it a $1800+ mic, but...still, if it upped the midrange "realism" just a touch, it'd be worth it.
Old 26th July 2006
fair enough...but let me add that i had the producer himself
do some speaking/singing (he's got a big deeper voice) and
the results were still the same. sorry for not mentioning
that before, but i forgot.
Old 26th July 2006
Lives for gear

It is a good mic. No doubt. I'd have kept it, but I've gotten a bit spoiled over the past few years. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't good...the opposite. But, I also think the 4060 is a fine mic--just with a very different resonant peak.
Old 27th July 2006
Lives for gear

Got 3 of them on a big band gig on Friday, I'll post impressions after I use them. Also will be using them for several other shows in the next couple weeks...

--Ben
Old 1st August 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle
Got 3 of them on a big band gig on Friday, I'll post impressions after I use them. Also will be using them for several other shows in the next couple weeks...

--Ben
How did the sessions go? What are your thoughts on the mics?
Old 1st August 2006
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann
It is a good mic. No doubt. I'd have kept it, but I've gotten a bit spoiled over the past few years. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't good...the opposite. But, I also think the 4060 is a fine mic--just with a very different resonant peak.
I am assuming you are talking about the Audio Technica AT4060? I have considered this mic for awhile now, as I have heard good things about it.
Do you personally like the 4060 better for male vocalist, and the MA-200 for female vocalist?
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am assuming you are talking about the Audio Technica AT4060?
I mean they equal but different, IMO.

The 4060 has a BIG clear 3kish bump and is darker up top. Does not sound like any other mic I've used.

The Mojave sounds like a U67 knock off. otherwise...the qualities without the same quality. It doesn't sound kinda like one. I've read people saying "it doesn't sound quite like a U47..." Duh--I don't know the history of the design, but the thing sounds like 67. Just without quite the dimensionality.
Old 1st August 2006
Gear Maniac

I used a pair of these as room mic's and was really happy with the results. I placed them back about 5 feet from the kit and about two feet from the floor killer punchy drum room sound, especially when you mash it up with a Chandler EMI compressor...:D
Old 1st August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx
How did the sessions go? What are your thoughts on the mics?
In short, I really liked them... I'll be using more on Friday and probably a couple next week as well.

I was mixing a big band where my horn section had a decidedly "Royer" sound- R122's on the sax section, 121's on the trumpets and Mojaves on the bones. Ended up being one of the best horn section sounds I've ever had.

What I liked about the Mojave is that even when players were right on top of them, the smooth top end was maintained. Often, when players solo right into a mic, it will show the mic's true colors- especially with condensers, things can get rather raspy sounding. With the Mojaves, the air on the top end was maintained, but yet there was a rather fat midrange. In this case, it happened to compliment the sound of the bones quite well. (exactly what I've gotten when using other various vintage tube mics on a section like this).

I'm thinking this coming week, I'll be using them on some of my low strings. We'll see how that works...

--Ben
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear

I have one thats currently broken (reminds me I need to send it in tommorrow). I like it a lot. Its somewhat bright, but in a classy way and the bottom is tight and focused, but still sorta big.

Sounds more expensive then it is..
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear

I was told by a well know mic manufacture that it is a 100% Chinese mic.... I didnt think it was at first but thats what I was told. I always wanted one but went with different mics instead!
Old 2nd August 2006
Lives for gear

I'll ask the next time I see the folks over at Royer. Personally, I don't see how it really matters. The build quality seems to be pretty good.

If a microphone sounds good, I'll use it and I'm pretty impressed with what I heard.

--Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search