Old 28th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crille_mannen View Post
Guess what I got one!!!

First real mic I bought some 20 years ago
Crille, as you may know...

Resident "Tube Guru" Bowie, has said (which I read), that upgrading the V69,
probably had the greatest "before/after" difference of any replacement tube scenario.

i know Kennybro replaced his stock tube, with a quality NOS tube (Mullard IIRC), and his vocal recordings with it... Sounded very good indeed. (of course Kenny has an exceptional Tenor to begin with, and is very modest about it )

Also although he seems less active at GS nowadays, Chris Lago put out an exceptional YouTube vocal on his "upgraded tube" V69me some years ago.
(another talented Tenor)

Chris
P.S. Not quite a premium Soyuz though!
Old 2nd December 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Sony C48 > Coil CA70 > EQP1A > Distressor > CL1B
I’m looking for some information on the Sony c48 as I am interested in buying one. Could you describe the sound as compared to other LDC mics you have used? Would it be useful as an all-purpose studio mic? Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s a great all purpose mic.
I use them all the time.
Drum overheads (not so much now that I have Soyuz 013 feta) vocals, acoustic gtrs,
Piano.
Kinda like how you could use good 87s or 414s on lots of stuff, C48s fit into that slot.

Last edited by rob S; 3rd December 2020 at 04:23 PM..
Here for the gear

Thanks for the prompt and useful response!
Old 3rd December 2020
Gear Maniac
We did C12vr -> Avedis MA5 -> TGOpto -> Serpent Splice Blue Mode...

So waaaarm and crispy! Here's a clip from the session with it.. there is a Waves SSL Channel strip on the audio track.

Old 4th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Very brief vocal "one take" of part of Chipmunks "Hurry Christmas".
Singing along here, not sped up, with Alvin.

Will the real Chipmunk please stand up?

U47>Pultec>LA2A (and then I woke up!)

Really direct into cell phone-just for fun...

Wishing all of you an upcoming Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays. (as much as possible this year)
Many thanks for all the contributions you guys all make, throughout the Year!
Chris
Attached Files

chipmunk hula hooprecord_2020_12_02_17_44_24 (2).wav (421.6 KB, 1419 views)

Old 4th December 2020
Here for the gear

Reviving this old thread! SM7B, Neve 1073LB and Neve 1073LB EQ, UA 1176 LN. Just high pass on the EQ and pretty much Dr. Pepper settings on the 1176. Sounds perfect!
Old 4th December 2020
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Neumann u47 Vs GA-47XT.

For an upcoming YT episode. Wow that GA sure sounds nice!
Old 5th December 2020
Lives for gear

I remember Paul G, digs the premium GAP 47.
Will listen, by later tonight.
Thanks again, for doing all that!
(47 and Sony C37a fan-atic here )
Chris
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
I remember Paul G, digs the premium GAP 47.
Will listen, by later tonight.
Thanks again, for doing all that!
(47 and Sony C37a fan-atic here )
Chris
Used the GAP 47 today and it sounded great, lovely low end bloom through a Forsell pre amp and no compression. A classic sound.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I had a vocal overdub session last night with male and female vocals. She sounded great on the VM1 KHE and ELAM 251 E. On her voice they were a lot closer in sound than I had anticipated. In fact in the mix they were almost indistinguishable. Isolated, the ELAM has a little more texture in the top and the VM1 is just so pristine up there. For him we used the U47 on slower songs and the 7B on the fast ones.
Attached Thumbnails
What vocal mic did you use today-ee0707c0-e0f3-40e5-a1d7-c49bb6bd52d7.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can't get enough of the top end on the Soyuz 017 tube. Today it was into a Tree Branch > Chandler RS124 > POM's 1176 Rev A clone. It was mix ready magic!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I can't get enough of the top end on the Soyuz 017 tube. Today it was into a Tree Branch > Chandler RS124 > POM's 1176 Rev A clone. It was mix ready magic!
The 017 Tube is the only mic of theirs I've heard that I think merits all of the fervor around Soyuz at the moment. None of the rest of the line has struck my ears as sounding particularly special. Just wish the 017 Tube were cheaper :\
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

FWIW all the Soyuz vocal microphones, sound excellent to me. The 017 Tube mic had that extra vocal "Fairy Dust" thang, reminded me of something like a Manley Silver.
Chris
P.S. Their "entry" Bomblet is way cool too.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Setting up for a live rehearsal tomorrow. It is great to pull out the handhelds again!

Two Earthworks SR40V, my favorite handhelds, through a pair of new Hendyamps Picasso Solid State - Mono Channel Strips. I know this is about which mics I used but, these channel strips are cool, featuring 350 volt special type of (weird is Hendyamps description) mosfet to full Michelangelo SS EQ to a component of Pollock SS compressor. Chris keeps you on your toes, need to ask a few questions then use your ears to get the best out of these, they sound great, it is always cool to learn to use something new. (Ie Did you just say that Gain is negative feedback and 10 = no negative feedback, Trim is gain and 0 = no signal out, Compressor interacts only with Gain, there is a relationship between Trim and Air?) That all came after a long call on his mosfet choice...more alive than jfets...enhance punch and sonic clarity...bias closer to Pentode tubes, odd order harmonics...and, I have proven that you can run these things day after day with almost no detectable heat. No space required! I have never had any piece of gear run this cool.

Also running a Shure KSM8 @ the Nord to a Pueblo JR

New blue Picassos are lookers!

https://flic.kr/p/2kiduZY

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 4 weeks ago at 11:13 PM..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Austrain audio oc18.... Just wonderful mic. I use to be into dark mics now I like brighter mics with presence. This mic sounds amazing on the upper frequencies.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainofjars View Post
The 017 Tube is the only mic of theirs I've heard that I think merits all of the fervor around Soyuz at the moment. None of the rest of the line has struck my ears as sounding particularly special. Just wish the 017 Tube were cheaper :\
The Fet sounds fantastic too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hey Paul. Have you used the Soyuz tube on any rappers? If not how do you think it would do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Beautiful New Year's day, in a local small Park. Was thinking of ELO's "Telephone Line" with its Jeff Lynne's style of "telephone voice" and merging that effect with some Psychedelic effects.
(using that on a different song).

So sang a "one take", into the phone, and added some Bandlab/Cakewalk effects.
Nothing like a good 'ol 300 Hertz to 3.4 KHz bandwidth!

Brief Acapella portion of Traffic's "Coloured Rain" (small pauses intentional-experimenting with Phrasing)...

On the cheap, I like the EV 767a for this sort of thing.

On the $$, Heiserman is gearing up to release their own version, of the 251 pretty soon (word just got out).

I'm confident, it, it'll easily be among the usual suspects, of very highly regarded 251 style microphones.

1/2/21 EDIT: Adding EV 767a audio clips (Same performance of Bubblegum Pop/Psychedelic classic "Dizzy"/Tommy Roe)...
To illustrate my comment above.
Chris
Attached Files

TWColoredRainfinalfinal.wav (1.85 MB, 803 views)

Song 130DizzyEV767aMSpsyechelicFinal.wav (4.30 MB, 543 views)

Dizzy767aversestudyFinal.wav (1.91 MB, 640 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm about to demo the Upton 251 today. Love the look. Initial impression is that it sounds.. good!
Attached Thumbnails
What vocal mic did you use today-img_20201229_170120_135.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Staxx View Post
Hey Paul. Have you used the Soyuz tube on any rappers? If not how do you think it would do?
Not yet but it has great mid forward, mix ready body and can take loads of hi eq so I imagine it would sound great. Not spitty like a Sony.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

RIP Gerry Marsden, of Gerry And The Pacemakers. Songs like "Ferry Cross The Mersey"/"You'll Never Walk Alone"/"Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying"...
I've loved as long, as when they first came out, listening to them as a child on the radio.

Sang "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying", with the trusty AKG D790. Thanks to those who listened. That was my "before".
Going to work on it more, and re-post an improved version eventually.
Chris
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
FWIW all the Soyuz vocal microphones, sound excellent to me. The 017 Tube mic had that extra vocal "Fairy Dust" thang, reminded me of something like a Manley Silver.
Chris
P.S. Their "entry" Bomblet is way cool too.
I really liked the bomblet when I tried it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Took the Phanthera out of the locker for the first time in many years because I had a feeling it would work with the bombastic insane projection of a female R&B singer coming in.

She has a incredible range and can go low in a way most women can’t. The mic worked miracles on her.

I’ve been lazy lately and usually keep the REDD, FLEA 47, and 87ai on deck. Definitely reconsidering the other mics I’ve neglected in the locker after that. Wow.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Was going to sit on the news for a bit but, I was very fortunate to receive and test my Josephson C725 today and loved doing a few quick vocal test recordings.

Immediately plugged it in, ran it through all five of my preamp options, switched between Sun, Moon and all patterns. First impressions match my pre-purchase expectations and a few high quality samples that were shared with me.

This mic is to serve as my c12 (it is actually a J12) mic and I am looking forward to any sessions I can work in prior to a surgery on the 18th and my next big session on the 31st.

I was not sure I would be able to swing it for 2021, thought I would be going with other great C12s although this was my wish/dream. Hoping my groups and I will use this mic, along with my others, for many, many years to come.

Also look forward to sharing clips after the big vocal sessions on the 31st. As I posted in another thread, my 67 Reissue is fresh back from Klaus and the team at Heiserman should ship my HK47 and H7 order mid-Jan, in time for the session as well.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ DomiBabi – Are you able to share who that vocalist is? I'd love to check her work out. Your description is similar to a couple of the incredible vocalists I had the privilege of working with in my full-time-NYC-gigging days.
@ StevenLMorgan – You have no shortage of incredible mics, that's for sure.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
47 as well as the KU4
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Line Audio CM3 x 2 in XYi into D.A.V. BG-1 on acoustic guitar.Lead vox - 3U Audio Warbler IVMKD into SCA N72 preamp.
πŸ“ Reply