The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What vocal mic did you use today
Old 5th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhames View Post
TLM49
I was wondering what you-ve been recording and which preamp did you used?
Old 7th October 2020 | Show parent
Still going through these old Tascam tapes and updating the Studio 8. The tape box on this tune says:
Neumann U89 Vocals (borrowed from local studio)
EMT Plate Reverb (we had the small plate for a short time)
Fender Strat, Jazz Bass, Ovation Acoustic, (I'm sure the Korg SG1 was used also)

Typical pop tune from back then.
Attached Files

Wrong.mp3 (4.61 MB, 1409 views)

Old 7th October 2020
Here for the gear

TLM49
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

Sony C37A.
Attached Thumbnails
What vocal mic did you use today-5fec075b-eb06-4d3b-aa9d-ffb608f76c71.jpg  
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
RE-20 for female rock vocals
Old 8th October 2020
Gear Nut
Not exactly "vocals" but I used a cheaparse MXL R80 ribbon mic on whistling. Foam pop filter and $30 Klark Teknik Mic Booster CT 1. Great mic for anything that tends to be too "airy".
Old 8th October 2020
Last night, the @ Heiserman H47 tube with the HK47 head basket in omni. Worked fabulously in omni with two make singers singing bvox.
Today, it will be the U67 with an amperex EF86 tube instead of the normal Telefunken EF806s as I'm doing backing vocals, myself, and want a nice sheen on them.
Old 8th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Josephson C705 for a boring corporate podcast. Not nearly as interesting as the vocals you guys are recording, but I love this mic.
Old 8th October 2020
Lives for gear

Clips anyone?
Thanks, Chris
Old 9th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCollector View Post
Josephson C705 for a boring corporate podcast. Not nearly as interesting as the vocals you guys are recording, but I love this mic.
I use my u67 as a talkback for tv work right now.
#covidlife
Old 16th October 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I'm really glad to hear you dig the T2. They just don't get talked about much, but the titanium capsule is a really cool thing. Even once you have you 87 clone, the T2 will still be a good compliment.
I have a T2 and I agree that I hardly ever hear anyone talk about it. I recently did an audio test kitchen with it in the mix and I was surprised that I picked the T2 over some vintage 10,000 plus mics they had on there. I really just bought it for the extremely flat response. Good all around mic.
Gear Guru

Heiserman H47T with M7 head basket and a Gefell UM70 (also M7) made the cut out of 8 mics today. Both great sounds. Into Weight Tank V72's into LA2a's.
Old 16th October 2020
Lives for gear
WA-84 as a mid-distance dialogue mic on a video (just out of shot) for insertion in a live music/drama show. No problems... very natural, no noise problems. Compliments from the video guy.
Lives for gear

Rap vocals:
SA-800 -> SMP-2 -> Hairball Audio Fet Rack rev D -> STA Level -> Blue AD245
That SA800 is great!
Old 17th October 2020
Lives for gear

(upgraded) Samsung cell phone. I figured the one cell phone recording I left here was (more than) enough.
Plus I was concerned about the reception.

But it does sound JUST LIKE a Primo U47!
(the old phone was more TLM 103)

Is this the future, cell phone clones of iconic mics? Maybe even a Virtual Smartphone System. slated in the future?

I know some of you may think this is like the trendy glass coffin, will that ever get more popular?
(remains to be seen)

Chris
Old 17th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
(upgraded) Samsung cell phone. I figured the one cell phone recording I left here was (more than) enough.
Plus I was concerned about the reception.

But it does sound JUST LIKE a Primo U47!
(the old phone was more TLM 103)

Is this the future, cell phone clones of iconic mics? Maybe even a Virtual Smartphone System. slated in the future?

I know some of you may think this is like the trendy glass coffin, will that ever get more popular?
(remains to be seen)

Chris
As soon as Slate gets their cellfon models right, I'm buying their modeling mic.
Old 17th October 2020
Lives for gear

And the matching VSX Headphones!
Chris
Old 17th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
And the matching VSX Headphones!
Chris
I thought that was implied.
Old 18th October 2020
Lives for gear

LOMO 19A9 > Coil CA70 > EQP1A > Distressor > CL1B
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

This lomo seems to win a lot of vocal job.
Nice partner to the Coil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
LOMO 19A9 > Coil CA70 > EQP1A > Distressor > CL1B
Old 19th October 2020
Gear Guru

Yesterday it was a V7. I was working with a regular client who was completely blowing out the 2B on our last session. I decided to try the V7 because its got a nice top and is pretty quick sounding for a dynamic. I used a Useful Arts preamp and VLA and then Meek compression in series.
Old 19th October 2020
Lives for gear

Flea m49 into Neve 1073.
Old 19th October 2020
Lives for gear

Neumann U47 into a Heritage Audio 1073/500.
Old 19th October 2020
Singer/songwriter, vocals and guitar - one mic.
U67 -> Neve 1073 -> @ AudioScape V-Comp -> bluestripe. Done.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Behringer B2 Pro on a male vocal - scary good Neumann flavor for what it costs . I have a 3U Audio Black CM1 SE (Neumann flavored) due tomorrow I'd have rather used but suspect they would be hard to tell apart. I have a 3U Audio Teal CM1 SE (AKG flavored) but the Behringer sounded a bit better on this voice. I did a test of the eight mics available to a me on this voice a couple weeks back and the B2 "won".
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Brought out the tried and true >> AT 4033 --worked on this clients voice quite well ;-_)
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Brought out the tried and true >> AT 4033 --worked on this clients voice quite well
Nice! Was my absolute fave back in the 90s, regularly beat out all the fancy mics.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I recorded a female vocalist for a metal band. We used the Brauner VM1 through the Heritage 1073 into ELOP for clean vocals and the Cathedral Pipes Regensburg Dom through the Avedis MA5 into 1176revF top and bottom buttons in for the dirty vocals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
I recorded a female vocalist for a metal band. We used the Brauner VM1 through the Heritage 1073 into ELOP for clean vocals and the Cathedral Pipes Regensburg Dom through the Avedis MA5 into 1176revF top and bottom buttons in for the dirty vocals.
and then they came and burned down the studio to stop global warming . . .Kidding!! Portland gets a bad rap.

Back to your post, that's very interesting. The Avedis and 4/20 combination on a 76F complement the screamo/raunch hey?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Back to your post, that's very interesting. The Avedis and 4/20 combination on a 76F complement the screamo/raunch hey?
The Avedis not only has incredible headroom but I can add some extra grit by pushing the gain a bit and backing off the trim. With 4/20 down the 1176 has an ultra snappy response which I like for really fast, staccato sources like rap, screamo and drums.
📝 Reply