Today I rode with an AEA R84. So good.
Old 23rd May 2020
Gear Head

Used an AEA 44ACE through ADT TM101 to record multitracked whistling
Old 23rd May 2020
Soyuz 017 - Tree Branch 2 - Serpent Splice - RND 542 - Chandler RS 124
Old 25th May 2020
Gear Head

I used a Prodipe TT1 with two foam windshields, one a standard windshield for a hand-held dynamic, with another sold for a studio condenser.

https://youtu.be/42xp3r2AD-I

I'm trying to figure out how I feel how I feel about it in comparison with the more usual SM57 A81WS combo. It might be better, for about a third of the price overall.

https://youtu.be/AC3l0wFMt1M

Gavin
Old 25th May 2020
I just put a NOS Mullard EF80 in my Pearlman TM1, it made sound very Hi fi compared to the old tube I had.
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

SM7 cloudlifter Coil 286 into Coil CA70.
Fantastic distortion.
Old 27th May 2020
Lives for gear

Today saw a Neumann U89 do service. Tamed an aggressive voice.
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Head
Beyerdynamic MC740NC - Sebatron Maximus (tube channel), for background vocals.
Old 30th May 2020
Gear Head

REDD....just wow!
Old 4th June 2020
Today was a Beyerdynamic M160, which I have NEVER used on vocals before! Tried all of my go-to mics (SM7, Soyuz 017 Tube, Lauten Atlantis, 4038) and none of them suited the singer, but I noticed I liked the sound of his voice in the 160 I was using as a room mic and auditioned it and it was perfect! REDD.47 pre into an Audioscape V Comp...
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Manley Reference C (Anniversary Edition). Love this mic
Old 4th June 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglow View Post
Today was a Beyerdynamic M160, which I have NEVER used on vocals before! Tried all of my go-to mics (SM7, Soyuz 017 Tube, Lauten Atlantis, 4038) and none of them suited the singer, but I noticed I liked the sound of his voice in the 160 I was using as a room mic and auditioned it and it was perfect! REDD.47 pre into an Audioscape V Comp...
What do you think of the Atlantis? I was thinking it’s an all arounder with the voicing modes but I guess it didn’t work for this vocalist
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Manley Ref C---Heritage 73JR---IC Brute---Lynx Hilo

Sounds great, but want to upgrade the Heritage to a BAE 1073MPF and the Brute to an LA-2A or clone though
Old 4th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unexplainedbacon View Post
What do you think of the Atlantis? I was thinking it’s an all arounder with the voicing modes but I guess it didn’t work for this vocalist
For the longest time, the Atlantis was THE mic for me, as the voicing options make it extremely flexible. It’s still my go-to for rap vocals (usually with the ‘Forward’ setting) but it just wasn’t the thing for this particular singer. Great mic though!
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglow View Post
Way cool! Even though it takes some extra time in the session when that happens (very worth it though!), I enjoy it when the usual suspects don’t do it for me on a vocal and I have to hunt for a different mic choice until it feels right.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

What mic did I use today?

the one that's in my Bloggie Touch.
Old 4th June 2020
Lives for gear

The well versed Rapper?
Chris
Old 4th June 2020
Gear Head

A real quick acoustic track with a “v44s” from Vanguard Audio Labs.
Old 5th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Today I rode with an AEA R84. So good.
Interesting. I never had it work for me.
Old 5th June 2020
Lives for gear

One of the "winner" microphones, on me. Sounds quite similar to the 44 IMHO.
Chris
Old 6th June 2020
Gear Nut

Tonelux jc37 — freaking killer BTW
And a reissue gefell cmv 563
Old 6th June 2020
Lives for gear

I rented a Neumann M249 today, but I used in on saxophone not vocals. Amazing all-around mic!
Attached Thumbnails
What vocal mic did you use today-dc04d8c4-ff14-40e6-bede-f1e4739b146a.jpg   What vocal mic did you use today-63c384a3-4605-45a7-b0ad-d98a0240f9ec.jpg  
Old 6th June 2020
Lives for gear

67 Reissue > Coil 70 > Retro Sta

Charlotte is 16, a pro session level pianist and just developing as a vocalist with a nice smoky voice. The songs below were planned for group vocals, after hearing Charlotte on lead and harmony, everyone wept a little, hugged Charlotte and called it a day.

67 fresh back from service at Sennheiser/Neumann, new, unfinished tracking room. Had to live with limited acoustic treatment as both consultants and treatment are in high demand with significant wait times. C19 has been excellent for businesses outfitting home studio builds.

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...t-paul-baloche

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...nd-keith-getty

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 6th June 2020 at 06:41 PM..
Old 8th June 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLMorgan View Post
67 Reissue > Coil 70 > Retro Sta

Charlotte is 16, a pro session level pianist and just developing as a vocalist with a nice smoky voice. The songs below were planned for group vocals, after hearing Charlotte on lead and harmony, everyone wept a little, hugged Charlotte and called it a day.

67 fresh back from service at Sennheiser/Neumann, new, unfinished tracking room. Had to live with limited acoustic treatment as both consultants and treatment are in high demand with significant wait times. C19 has been excellent for businesses outfitting home studio builds.

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...t-paul-baloche

https://soundcloud.com/user-62615386...nd-keith-getty
I own a U67 reissue as well, what did you have serviced?
Old 8th June 2020
Lives for gear

Neumann U67 RI
“The sockets that the capsule mount fits into were loose causing the intermittent start up. I realigned the sockets correcting the problem. Qc and tested.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I own a U67 reissue as well, what did you have serviced?
Old 9th June 2020
Lives for gear

Used a Vanguard v13 and Soyuz 023 to record a guitar+vocal demo in my bedroom the other day. It sounded horrible because of the terrible acoustics in my bedroom. Seriously awful reflections. Both great mics otherwise.
Old 9th June 2020
Gear Nut
421-U5, held up close. Only mic in my collection I can use in the daytime and rush hours.

HPF notched all the way to “Speech” mode. Going into UA-610 500-ohm Pre/EQ with -4.5db @ 4.5khz.

No pop filter - I address it slightly diagonally. This method brought me some awareness/control of my sibilance and more consistent air flow to avoid the pops - but it’s also a struggle at times.
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

I recorded a female jazz vocalist with a Sony C37A > Heritage 1073/500 > ELOP > HEDD192. I love the air on this mic. No EQ needed, other than a hpf at 80hz.

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 14th June 2020 at 03:46 PM..
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Today I used a Gefell M92.1S into a Gyraf Audio Gyratec IX preamp. Sound was sparkle-y and smooth.
Old 14th June 2020
Lives for gear

Added backing vocals and videos, all recorded through 67 Reissue > Coil 70 > Sta > 176 > Coil 70

For clarity, the songs are recorded in my new studio space, we stepped out into my yard, played back the songs with pre-song clicks for sync, on a boom-box, during these single take videos shot with GoPro Hero 7 Blacks on ProTune, then the studio vocals are synced.

The video gear and videos are super simple now as I am just learning and teenagers have zero patience for multiple shots in the hot Georgia sun in June.

https://vimeo.com/showcase/7242571

OT
Social distancing in the videos? Interestingly, my family and the three others represented have all had COVID, have been fully doctor cleared a few weeks back. We all attended a very well-distanced, no restroom, no reception, quick wedding together, all still caught it, went through it at the same time. A family seated six feet behind us unknowingly passed it to my wife and I. No handshaking, at least six feet apart at all times. 8-10 feet while talking for five minutes. Same for the other families.

I was asymptomatic, my wife had mild symptoms for 21 days. Charlotte, singing lead here, was worse off among teens, fully recovered in two weeks. Dads were very sick, one was hospitalized for 5 days. Of those attending the wedding, 5 were hospitalized, one just came off a respirator after 20 days and will make a full recovery.

Last edited by StevenLMorgan; 14th June 2020 at 08:37 PM..
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear