What vocal mic did you use today
Old 8th May 2020
Lives for gear

Used AKG SolidTube
Old 9th May 2020
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
I used a Soyuz 017 and a Ku5a through 2 Tree Branches mk2 through 2 Chandler RS124 comps into Prism Titans. Sounded incredible. The Soyuz has such a smooth top end and blended with the AEA superbly. Butter.
What was the blend in there ? Is the ribbon contributing a lot or 50/50% ?
Did you use a pop filter on the ku5a ?

The KU5a is pretty high in my shopping list now, still waiting to sell some other gear to buy it XD
Old 9th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguino View Post
What was the blend in there ? Is the ribbon contributing a lot or 50/50% ?
Did you use a pop filter on the ku5a ?

The KU5a is pretty high in my shopping list now, still waiting to sell some other gear to buy it XD
Yes at least 50/50 works great. There was a stedman pop filter covering both Microphones as they were so close but they blend perfectly, the KU5a adds so much body. I haven’t found a mic it doesn’t compliment and it sounds superb on it’s own too.
Old 9th May 2020
Lives for gear

Blue Bottle w/B6 and B7 caps > Heritage Audio 1073/500 > Manley ELOP > HEDD 192
Old 11th May 2020
Lives for gear

I’ve been working with a bluegrass group this weekend. Today the banjo player sang lead on a tune he wrote. He’s a gravelly second bass and the vintage U47 was not doing his voice any favors with its mid-push. My Cathedral Pipes Regensburg Dom was just the ticket, going into a Neve 33115, which unlike it’s class A bretheren is fairly fast, well-defined on the top-end and doesn’t add any low-mid saturation. A dbx165 and ELOP split the compression duties and the CraneSong HEDD 192 with some tape process dialed in glued it all together.
Attached Thumbnails
What vocal mic did you use today-7193594e-bdee-4bb5-be9c-f229e0010e9f.jpg  

Last edited by thismercifulfate; 11th May 2020 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 11th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Blue Bottle w/B6 and B7 caps > Heritage Audio 1073/500 > Manley ELOP > HEDD 192
How much does the B6 get you to a 251 sound? I have a gefell cmv 563 and was considering getting more capsules for it. (Blue/red/violet work with them)
Old 11th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How much does the B6 get you to a 251 sound?
Different animals by nature, I'd say.

B0 would seem a better starting point.
Old 11th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
How much does the B6 get you to a 251 sound? I have a gefell cmv 563 and was considering getting more capsules for it. (Blue/red/violet work with them)
We just got a B0 cap, which actually does resemble a 251. The B6 has more going on in the mids, while still having some nice air.

I’d love to have an M7 and an M8 for our bottle.
Old 12th May 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
Different animals by nature, I'd say.

B0 would seem a better starting point.
Yep - my mistake, confused the numbers. The B6 is in the U67 world right?

So same question to everyone —- B0 + gefell cmv 563.... similar to a mid-level 251 clone? I LOVE the M7/563 sound.

I owned a bock 251 but sold it for a U67.... but now I miss the 251 for pop vocals.

This stuff is so pricey per mic that I’m trying to cover as many bases with the gefell as I can.
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Guru

Today (actually, yesterday) - Heiserman H47tube & SM7 (original). Both great. Both on my voice for reference vocals, so, maybe not so great. LOL. But yeah, they both sounded really great with the expected differences between the two fully present. I used the same Weight Tank WT72 pre straight into HD16x16 Pro Tools HDX for both.

The Heiserman was solid, really tight (Used the HK47 capsule headbaket as my voice needs some brightness) and it ended up very 3 dimensional sounding. Took a lot of belting abuse very gracefully. The SM7 was called in for the heavier stuff, but in reality, the Heiserman could have easily worked in the situation. The Heiserman is much more detailed than the SM7 though. Really made recording very graceful for me - which is saying a lot, cause I tend to really hate how I sound on mic.

But this was reference for a bunch of EDM tunes, so it's autotuned and oVox'd to death!!!
Old 16th May 2020
Lives for gear

You may just be like Warren Huart, who has a Maaaaarveloooous Tenor, despite what he says.

Clips!
Chris
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Addict

Sennheiser MD21 to Telefunken V672
Old 16th May 2020
Gear Guru

Bock 251
Old 17th May 2020
Lives for gear

Blue Rocket Stage1 with B8. Silky.
Old 17th May 2020
AT4047MP into Apollo Twin X with Neve Preamp. Best vocal chain I have ever used for my voice and I used to own U87s and used them with a Gyraf tube channelstrip at the end of the (price) range. Interestingly, for some reasons I used to not like the AT4047 for a long time but gave it another shot last month after many years of preferring the TLM 102. Very happy camper here!
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Nut

Lauten ls208
Old 20th May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Today (actually, yesterday) - Heiserman H47tube & SM7 (original). Both great. Both on my voice for reference vocals, so, maybe not so great. LOL. But yeah, they both sounded really great with the expected differences between the two fully present. I used the same Weight Tank WT72 pre straight into HD16x16 Pro Tools HDX for both.

The Heiserman was solid, really tight (Used the HK47 capsule headbaket as my voice needs some brightness) and it ended up very 3 dimensional sounding. Took a lot of belting abuse very gracefully. The SM7 was called in for the heavier stuff, but in reality, the Heiserman could have easily worked in the situation. The Heiserman is much more detailed than the SM7 though. Really made recording very graceful for me - which is saying a lot, cause I tend to really hate how I sound on mic.

But this was reference for a bunch of EDM tunes, so it's autotuned and oVox'd to death!!!
That's called "Normal"!
Chris
Old 20th May 2020
Gear Head

RFT-Gefell M71 > Langevin DVC > Sta-Level
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
That's called "Normal"!
Chris
Haha!! For this week it sure is. Back on my SM7 (original) today to match and punch in on some tracks I'd cut with the SM7 when demo-ing. It sounded really great. Obviously not as articulate as the H47T, but good none-the-less. The WTank WT72's are really breaking in nicely, and man are the elegant sounding pre's.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

IMHO Eric Heiserman is part of a small select group, who've cracked the code, on a compelling high level quality 47 clone...
That'll further inspire a singer.

Both the H47 and H7 capsules are amazing. On me, the M7 style capsule, gets the nod.
Chris
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

This is one of my favourite threads on gs! Bill, I bet the Heiserman H47T is super nice. I ordered two of their capsules a while back (one H12 for an elam 251 circuit and an H47 for a microphone parts km84-style circuit but with a large diaphragm). I still need to wire them up correctly as I didn't have a great solder sucker when I got them. Now I have an Engineer ss-02 which works like a dream (seriously indispensable if you're doing diy stuff).

I've been using my Vanguard v13>Camden 500>diyre colour palette loaded with LTL Colour modules>KT-EQP>whatever compressor I have on hand (waiting for KT-76 to come in, also have a dbx 560a and DN500). I also have a Soyuz Bomblet on hand, which does sound nice and very balanced on vocals, while the v13 sounds very similar but "bigger" and more extended and up-front. I've thought about getting the Soyuz 017-Fet, but I doubt I would like it more than the v13.

Steven's Josephson C715 sounds awesome. The head basket gives me serious trypophobia vibes though (aversion to small irregular holes and bumps).
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
This is one of my favourite threads on gs! Bill, I bet the Heiserman H47T is super nice. I ordered two of their capsules a while back (one H12 for an elam 251 circuit and an H47 for a microphone parts km84-style circuit but with a large diaphragm). I still need to wire them up correctly as I didn't have a great solder sucker when I got them. Now I have an Engineer ss-02 which works like a dream (seriously indispensable if you're doing diy stuff).

I've been using my Vanguard v13>Camden 500>diyre colour palette loaded with LTL Colour modules>KT-EQP>whatever compressor I have on hand (waiting for KT-76 to come in, also have a dbx 560a and DN500). I also have a Soyuz Bomblet on hand, which does sound nice and very balanced on vocals, while the v13 sounds very similar but "bigger" and more extended and up-front. I've thought about getting the Soyuz 017-Fet, but I doubt I would like it more than the v13.

Steven's Josephson C715 sounds awesome. The head basket gives me serious trypophobia vibes though (aversion to small irregular holes and bumps).
I've been using the Vanguard V13 all week through a Klark Teknik KT-2a compressor. I also have the EQP-KT here but tend to only use this for tracking bass!
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Any more clips guys? I'll try to record at least one Dynamic mic>Soyuz clip, by this weekend. Handy low cal-ahem cost-sweetener for "stay at home vocals" on dynamics.
Probably EV 635a, cause I've seen so many old 60's/70's Johnny Cash/Glen Campbell/Buck Owens TV shows lately, that used them!
Chris
Old 21st May 2020
Gear Guru

SM57, SM7B, and my "Claire" microphone (251 style amp, ADK GK-12d capsule)

Was testing the Sound Devices 302 mic preamps, they are on the smooth, clean, laid back side of things. Plenty of detail and size. The Zoom H6 preamps were under test also and a little too colored. Both are very low noise, however, and battery powered.

The new change I made with with Claire is to replace the EH tube with a JAN GE 'vintage' tube. It makes a significant difference. For a main lead vocal mic, I now have the opinion that using a fancier tube is a big deal. In other gear, it's less important. But on that lead voice, you need it to shine in every possible way. Those last little 5 percent of enhancements.

The SM7B sounds kind of different than I remember it, was without it for a number of years. It's very usable but doesn't have the sparkle of a good condenser. Of course. The bass end is also much more controlled than the SM57 on close up voice. Requires less EQ correction in the mix.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
I've been using the Vanguard V13 all week through a Klark Teknik KT-2a compressor. I also have the EQP-KT here but tend to only use this for tracking bass!
Nice! Do you like v13>KT-2a for vocals? I've thought about getting the KT-2a, but I like the action of 1176-style compressors first, and then I'll likely use my DN500 for another 1 to 2 dB of reduction as it's pretty transparent.
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosewood123 View Post
Nice! Do you like v13>KT-2a for vocals? I've thought about getting the KT-2a, but I like the action of 1176-style compressors first, and then I'll likely use my DN500 for another 1 to 2 dB of reduction as it's pretty transparent.
Yes I do like this combination. I also have the 76-KT compressor but I prefer the smoother and thicker sound of the KT-2a. I’m going to upgrade the OptoCell in it at some point and probably the tubes.
I use the V13 and KT-2a with a Warm Audio TB12 (with Hardy 990c+ mod). This is working great
Old 21st May 2020
Lives for gear

When I have more time someday, I'm going to experiment, with my Bellari LA-120 (full voltage BTW!) tube compressor. It was the 90's "poor man's" version of the LA2A. Well worth the $120 spent, and in mint condition. Nice full sound.

EDIT:This time despite the California "stay at home" Policy, took a 'lil ride to Galveston! Clip below...
(a one take/off the cuff)
EV 635a>Soyuz Launcher.
Chris
Attached Files
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
When I have more time someday, I'm going to experiment, with my Bellari LA-120 (full voltage BTW!) tube compressor. It was the 90's "poor man's" version of the LA2A. Well worth the $120 spent, and in mint condition. Nice full sound.
Isn't the LA-120 a starved plate design that runs off a wall wart?
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Maniac
#chessparov2 .0

I hear noise in your recordings.
do you always have that? it looks if you have the milliseconds delays in your DAW are too short.
Old 22nd May 2020
Lives for gear

AFAIK the LA-120 is one of the Bellari LA-120 full voltage tube. I researched it a while back, before purchasing it.

EDIT: I checked later and according to a number of LA-120's sold in the past, they're a high voltage tube.

Hi Sisi. That was done in an untreated room (gasp!). Good ears. It was just meant as a general idea, rather than like a commercial cut. My usual spot at work (after hours), sounds a lot better. I thought I could lessen things, by being 3-4" away from the mic-silly me!

In a somewhat better room though, I have confidence this combo could be used, for occasional lead vocals...
Chris
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear