The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What vocal mic did you use today
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

Chris
P.S. But sorry to hear the "business part".
Old 5th April 2020
Lives for gear

Innertube 87 >WSW 811510b >BG2 >Ampex 440 >Dangerous ad+

On other tracks Sennhieser mds1 >add 1176 reva + same path

(I also miss Michael Joly. Regret selling his Nady 1050 tube mic mod. It was real nice)
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Psychedelic mood tonight!
Acapella vocal. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond
beginning.
AKG D790>Soyuz Launcher>Mbox2 Mini
Chris

EDIT 4/6/20: Put the same performance clip, minus the psychedelic effects, down below for reference.
Attached Files
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

I used the AKG SolidTube. Fantastic sound on my singer.
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Old 6th April 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
interesting ..how does it sound? can you compare it with another well known mic? ..
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Sony C100 - Vintech 473 - Audioscape Opto - Hairball 1176(black) - Zulu - Burl AD

Opto and Hairball not doing much gain reduction. Not hitting Zulu hard either.
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Clips or it didn't happen!

Mostly kidding, but if if it's OK to post, I always enjoy listening.
Chris
Old 6th April 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
interesting ..how does it sound? can you compare it with another well known mic? ..
The sound of the AKG SolidTube is very tubey, very thick, with low resolution. It hides a myriad of problems with singer's voices.

In all my days I cannot think of any other microphone that sounds as thick and somewhat wooly.

Cannot compare it to anything else made in the past or currently.
Old 8th April 2020
Lives for gear

Despite the "Stay At Home" policy, headed up to Cripple Creek today!
EV 635a>Launcher>MBox2 Mini.
Chris
Attached Files
Old 8th April 2020
Gear Nut

Do you really wanna know? I used an MXL V67G. It must have cost me like 120$ some years ago. Since my Manley Ref is still locked in the studio, which is on the other side of the city, that's what I have at home.

With eq it sounds like a Manley with a little less low end.
Old 11th April 2020
Gear Maniac

WA 84 and AKG C414 XL II for acoustic guitar work and the 414 for vocals. Sounds great!
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Maniac

C-100 straight into unprocessed Apollo unison pres
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Guru

CMV 563> Useful Arts SFP60> Purple Action.
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov2.0 View Post
Psychedelic mood tonight!
Acapella vocal. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond
beginning.
AKG D790>Soyuz Launcher>Mbox2 Mini
Chris

EDIT 4/6/20: Put the same performance clip, minus the psychedelic effects, down below for reference.
That Leslie effect really nails the midrange, but not the doppler effect. What is it?

Quote:
Despite the "Stay At Home" policy, headed up to Cripple Creek today!
EV 635a>Launcher>MBox2 Mini.
Chris
Are you using the Launcher to drive the preamp into distortion? You've posted a few things with and it feels really heavy handed. Is that your goal, or is that what it does?
Old 13th April 2020
Lives for gear

Hi Tony. I used Bremmer's Multitrackstudio, for the stock effects on "Shine On..."

Yes, I was experimenting "hitting the mic hard", on Cripple Creek. IMHO on a song like "Without You" (posted below for listening convenience), it shows the Launcher, in its more natural state.

Then 2nd (shortened/edited from last post) clip "Bitch Is Back", where IMHO "driving" the 58>Launcher sounds good as a vocal effect. I'm beginning to think of 57/58's, as being "vocal effect microphones", not my daily drivers.

Been using using the extra downtime, to experiment with various singing styles. From Isaac Hayes to Franki Valli!
Chris

EDIT: Used the Preset settings for stock plugins, on Rotor (both Tremolo & Chorale) on "Shine On".
Attached Files
Old 13th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Hi Tony. I used Bremmer's Multitrackstudio, for the stock effects on "Shine On..."

Yes, I was experimenting "hitting the mic hard", on Cripple Creek. IMHO on a song like "Without You" (posted below for listening convenience), it shows the Launcher, in its more natural state.

Then 2nd (shortened/edited from last post) clip "Bitch Is Back", where IMHO "driving" the 58>Launcher sounds good as a vocal effect. I'm beginning to think of 57/58's, as being "vocal effect microphones", not my daily drivers.

Been using using the extra downtime, to experiment with various singing styles. From Isaac Hayes to Franki Valli!
Chris

EDIT: Used the Preset settings for stock plugins, on Rotor (both Tremolo & Chorale) on "Shine On".
Gottchya!

I think the Without You clip with the D790 really suits your voice nicely.
Old 13th April 2020
Lewitt LCT 940 for recording a radio voice over.
Old 16th April 2020
I was using one of Mike’s U47 FET Style mic builds, wasn’t happy, so I tried an AT4047, not bad. Grabbed a Shure 57 and liked the results. So far it’s a 57 > MA5> BAC. It may not be the final selection. Waiting on other tracks to arrive. Right now with scratch track guitar it sounds pretty good.
Old 17th April 2020
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
CMV 563> Useful Arts SFP60> Purple Action.
you need to dump the 563 over this way.
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
you need to dump the 563 over this way.
Its a pretty cool mic. I bought it from a Russian refurbisher about 15 years ago. The body isn't original, and the PSU has a plaque thats in Russian. ITs a bit of a Frankenstein, but I still dig it.
Old 17th April 2020
Lives for gear

Used a Pearl Mikrofon Laboratorium CC22 cardioid. Sound fit perfectly.
Old 17th April 2020
Gear Addict

Was gonna use a vintage U87, but it just didn’t sound right, something about the low mids with that singer. Tried a Rode NT1-A -> V72 -> 1176. Wow! Haha first time I’ve ever used that Rode thinking wow! Honestly I don’t think I ever gave that mic a chance. It was my first mic that I got maybe 2002, I thought it sounded bright and harsch and quickly bought a 414. Really made me realize I gotta try out different mics when recording a new vocalist.
Old 18th April 2020
Gear Nut

sm7b
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Add some 1" Punch and you're all set! Cool avatar. Bruce Lee fan here too.
Chris
Old 18th April 2020
Lives for gear

Used my favourite chain again today

Vanguard V13 > Warm TB12 Black (Hardy 990c+ mod) > Klark Teknik KT-2A > Motu 828ES
Old 27th April 2020
Miktek CV4...I wish I never sold my TLM170 when I needed to pay my mortgage a few years back but have been happy with CV4 on vocals every time.
Old 27th April 2020
Miktek CV4>dbx160a>Seventh Circle Audio N73
Old 8th May 2020
I used a Soyuz 017 and a Ku5a through 2 Tree Branches mk2 through 2 Chandler RS124 comps into Prism Titans. Sounded incredible. The Soyuz has such a smooth top end and blended with the AEA superbly. Butter.
Old 8th May 2020
Gear Guru

Yesterday I set up an Aeyser L36B, but we ended up only doing a bass part. I was curious to hear this singer on that mic.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear