The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What vocal mic did you use today
Old 19th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konfus View Post
Not. Because of the at least for me rather small sweetspots. I like them, but more in the mixing-process, when I can dial them in more accurate. The kt2a is nice, but also a bit wonky.. don't know how to describe

Eqp-kt is now definitely banned from vocals here. Somewhat foggy and edgy. Love em for bass, kicks etc.

Nothing beats a (real) 1176 for tracking, that's totally my thing
I completely agree with you.

I haven't talked about it much, but I found the EQP-KT to be a little edgy on lead vocals. I ended up selling mine. I'm a little leery about the Behr/KT gear now.

I'm dying to get some 1176 here for tracking. Things keep coming up I guess that's no surprise.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

Brauner VMX -> Pacifica pre -> 576 Blue Strip for EDM female vocal
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Neumann M149 > Heritage 1073/500 > Urei 1176 rev F > Manley ELOP for a female vocalist.
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
ADK Z-Mod 251 into an A Designs MP2A

Here is the 251 in a cover of Mary McCaslin's "Prairie in the Sky" understanding it is 64 bit Opus file streaming (with my 69 year old voice )

Love her and Jim Ringer! A friend played bass on their albums and gave them to me
Old 4 weeks ago
Used my Advanced Audio CM12 on a vocal last night. Been on the fence about selling it for a while, but it just nailed the sound I needed.. I guess it stays now!
Old 4 weeks ago
Sm7b. Went back to this one after experiements with u87 clones. I still like the sm7 better.
Fat and warm
Old 4 weeks ago
Went through all of my go-to mics on an artist, and they were all doing unflattering things to their voice. Ended up trying a 57 since that’s what they had recorded the demo vocals with; it was PERFECT! Especially paired with the Trident D2O tube preamp...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

SM58 live but I used it for a live in studio recording a few weeks back and it sounded great.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismercifulfate View Post
Neumann M149 > Heritage 1073/500 > Urei 1176 rev F > Manley ELOP for a female vocalist.
A bit late here, but how hard were you hitting the input on the Heritage? I’m currently borrowing a friend’s Vintech and it’s a little tricky to avoid distortion with my M149.

Also, insanely jealous of the Urei/ELOP combo.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkaitkai View Post
A bit late here, but how hard were you hitting the input on the Heritage? I’m currently borrowing a friend’s Vintech and it’s a little tricky to avoid distortion with my M149.

Also, insanely jealous of the Urei/ELOP combo.
On the first song I had the gain up a bit and I kinda loved the saturation. Since the heritage has no output control, I used the urei input to soak some of the extra level, but I admittedly also hit the urei pretty hard because it just worked so well with the song. On the second tune I backed off the gain to 25 or 20 and it was a little cleaner. The 149 really is a super hot mic! I do have an in-line attenuator that I could have used.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
On the first song I had the gain up a bit and I kinda loved the saturation. Since the heritage has no output control, I used the urei input to soak some of the extra level, but I admittedly also hit the urei pretty hard because it just worked so well with the song. On the second tune I backed off the gain to 25 or 20 and it was a little cleaner. The 149 really is a super hot mic! I do have an in-line attenuator that I could have used.
Nice! Yeah it’s definitely a really cool sounding saturation, just a little tricky when you don’t want it. I think I had it set to -30, guess it’s going all the way down next time!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nice! Yeah it’s definitely a really cool sounding saturation, just a little tricky when you don’t want it. I think I had it set to -30, guess it’s going all the way down next time!
The vintech goes down to -20 I believe. Also toggle the impedance switch and see which position sounds better to you. I remember it making a big difference with that mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The vintech goes down to -20 I believe. Also toggle the impedance switch and see which position sounds better to you. I remember it making a big difference with that mic.
So I just had success patching the M149 direct into the X73's line input — got rid of this annoying "crispy" sound I was getting with pretty much every setting imaginable on the mic input. I also switched the mic one click over towards bidirectional (read here that this is actually the M149's "true" cardioid setting). Loving this sound.

It's pretty crazy — I actually prefer my Apollo's preamp to the Vintech's mic input by a pretty wide margin, but the line input is a different story.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
So I just had success patching the M149 direct into the X73's line input — got rid of this annoying "crispy" sound I was getting with pretty much every setting imaginable on the mic input. I also switched the mic one click over towards bidirectional (read here that this is actually the M149's "true" cardioid setting). Loving this sound.

It's pretty crazy — I actually prefer my Apollo's preamp to the Vintech's mic input by a pretty wide margin, but the line input is a different story.
I'll have to give that a try! Now that I have the Heritage 1073/500 I don't really use the x73i's for vocals anymore, but this really has me intrigued.
Old 3 weeks ago
My pair of consecutive U87's before they left home for good. It was sad but I have too many pairs of mics and I'm too old to wait on maintenance guys if anything crops up.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The Apollo preamp?
Ok
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Neumann TLM170 (purple badge) to BAE 1073
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

U89 into Sonosax R4+

Last edited by Plush; 3 weeks ago at 02:46 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Sennheiser MD 441

Sold my SM7B for this and no regrets.
Old 3 weeks ago
blackspade um17 into ferrograph tube preamp
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosynth View Post
blackspade um17 into ferrograph tube preamp
Have you the upgraded BS um17?
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
Have you the upgraded BS um17?
No the classic version but I upgraded it with thiersch M7 capsule and pro audio cable.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Pearlman>Neve Prism>LA3A Teletrinix...did not suck
AKG Tube with above chain.....for BGV variation...also did not suck
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

AKG Solidtube--fantastic

A real tube mic.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
The Apollo preamp?
Ok
If this is in reference to my post, yes. I’m not saying the Apollo is objectively better than the Vintech across the board — I’m saying I prefer it for my voice in my room with a specific mic.

My Wunder PEQ2R is objectively better than both, however.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
Curious about the Solidtube. They aren’t much money...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Today I set up my iSK 2B Beauty and Aeyser L36B on a female singer. They both sound really good on her voice and I may end up using one on verses and the other on choruses. Or I might blend them, because they both work pretty well in the track.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
AKG Solidtube--fantastic

A real tube mic.
Didn‘t they use to be the most hated mic here, befor the TLM103 got so...“popular“?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
AKG Solidtube--fantastic A real tube mic.
Well, that is something of a surprise.

Never managed to get a sound I liked out of the SolidTube, but I suppose I tend towards cleaner tube mics like the Brauner Valvet.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I'm wondering if he was being sarcastic........
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search