The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jeff Tweedy Vocal Chain
Old 10th November 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Jeff Tweedy Vocal Chain

This guy's vocals always have a super dry veil over them. It's more than compression.

Anyone have an idea what they use for a Vocal chain?
Old 10th November 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
old ghost's Avatar
 

They put out a really awesome DVD about the making of sky blue sky awhile back. He was singing through a beta 58 to tape if I'm not mistaken, but I saw it several years ago. Not sure about the rest of the chain... DVD is worth watching either way. Which reminds me, "either way" is the awesome track 1 of that album. I think I''ll put some bourbon in my coffee and revisit that this morning. Thanks!


Sent from my GT-P3113
Old 10th November 2012
  #3
Gear Maniac
 
bonnybilly's Avatar
 

Would love to see that, superb record.
Old 11th November 2012
  #5
Gear Addict
 
buschfsu's Avatar
also seen signing through a dragonfly on the film. or was it a mouse? one of the blue midrange mics
Old 11th November 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Reading the OP, "super dry veil" is confusing to me, is that meant as a pejorative?

- c
Old 11th November 2012
  #7
Here for the gear
 

That was a good read! Thanks for the link!
Old 11th November 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 

According to MixOnline, Jim Scott used an SM7 on the self titled record as well. They tracked using Scott's Neve BCM-10 sidecars, which contain 1073 pres and 1079 EQs. Prob my fav of theirs after YHFT and Summerteeth.

Here is a link to the article: Wilco 2009 Album | Recording Wilco (The Album) 2009 Album

Thanks for the Sonciscoop article too, It's amazing what you can find if you google.
Old 15th November 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
old ghost's Avatar
 

www.YouTube.com/watch?v=jAQ8DSsPJD0

This is from the DVD and why I recalled a beta 58. They were just rehearsing though...

Sent from my GT-P3113
Old 15th November 2012
  #10
Gear Addict
 

He sounds good into dynamics. Gives him that dry, forward sound he's become known for. Love Tweedy.
Old 16th November 2012
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless_opus View Post
According to MixOnline, Jim Scott used an SM7 on the self titled record as well. They tracked using Scott's Neve BCM-10 sidecars, which contain 1073 pres and 1079 EQs. Prob my fav of theirs after YHFT and Summerteeth.

Here is a link to the article: Wilco 2009 Album | Recording Wilco (The Album) 2009 Album

Thanks for the Sonciscoop article too, It's amazing what you can find if you google.
Everytime I tracked Jeff it was either an original SM-7 or one of my tube Sony C-37a's [this worked well also], into a 1073 or a modified Altec 1567a, into a LA2a, 175B, or modified LA4a. Sometimes a Lang PEQ-1 or Pultec EQP1A. Mermaid Avenue II [some replacements on Mermaid I] and 3-4x on YHF [C12 on one song]. Usually live, rarely OD's. He doesn't like to 'build' takes. He sounds like Jeff on most anything though, not a good 'fit' on u87/u67 at all. Alot of what you are hearing is his voice...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 16th November 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

I'm still confused what "super dry veil" means!

Veil?

- c
Old 16th November 2012
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I'm still confused what "super dry veil" means!

Veil?

- c
I think we all are unless he tells us what he means...ha.

my guess-
Super Dry [obvious] - Veil= SM7, not open above 15k like a condensor maybe?
Jeff also has some of those darker qualities in his voice, with a upper mid range rasp that can appear. Makes for a harder mic/vox match.
Old 16th November 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
old ghost's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Everytime I tracked Jeff it was either an original SM-7 or one of my tube Sony C-37a's [this worked well also], into a 1073 or a modified Altec 1567a, into a LA2a, 175B, or modified LA4a. Sometimes a Lang PEQ-1 or Pultec EQP1A. Mermaid Avenue II [some replacements on Mermaid I] and 3-4x on YHF [C12 on one song]. Usually live, rarely OD's. He doesn't like to 'build' takes. He sounds like Jeff on most anything though, not a good 'fit' on u87/u67 at all. Alot of what you are hearing is his voice...

Best-
Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan, always great to hear the information from the source.
Old 18th November 2012
  #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by old ghost View Post
Thanks Jonathan, always great to hear the information from the source.
Would be much better still to hear from Jim Scott, who I believe has worked the most with Wilco of any of the talented engineers they used. It's been a decade since I last did anything with them. I came in because of Jay so I thought only appropriate that I go out with Jay. Stick with your friends, even at their lowest points, they need you...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 18th November 2012
  #16
Gear Addict
 
plunderpot's Avatar
Also, from the pics of the Loft a while ago, it looked to be Shure SM7, 1073(etc) on the BCM10, and 1176...
Old 19th November 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
skybluerental's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Would be much better still to hear from Jim Scott, who I believe has worked the most with Wilco of any of the talented engineers they used. It's been a decade since I last did anything with them. I came in because of Jay so I thought only appropriate that I go out with Jay. Stick with your friends, even at their lowest points, they need you...

Best-
Jonathan
AMEN JP.
sage words.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 52 views: 12760
Avatar for Lipps
Lipps 12th April 2008
replies: 64 views: 25218
Avatar for Geoff_T
Geoff_T 9th September 2013
replies: 191 views: 32661
Avatar for ResonantMind
ResonantMind 12th February 2018
replies: 359 views: 65310
Avatar for stardustmedia
stardustmedia 2nd February 2016
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump