The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jeff Tweedy Vocal Chain
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

Jeff Tweedy Vocal Chain

This guy's vocals always have a super dry veil over them. It's more than compression.

Anyone have an idea what they use for a Vocal chain?
Old 10th November 2012
Lives for gear

They put out a really awesome DVD about the making of sky blue sky awhile back. He was singing through a beta 58 to tape if I'm not mistaken, but I saw it several years ago. Not sure about the rest of the chain... DVD is worth watching either way. Which reminds me, "either way" is the awesome track 1 of that album. I think I''ll put some bourbon in my coffee and revisit that this morning. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-P3113
Old 10th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Would love to see that, superb record.
Old 11th November 2012
Gear Addict

also seen signing through a dragonfly on the film. or was it a mouse? one of the blue midrange mics
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

Reading the OP, "super dry veil" is confusing to me, is that meant as a pejorative?

- c
Old 11th November 2012
Here for the gear

That was a good read! Thanks for the link!
Old 11th November 2012
Lives for gear

According to MixOnline, Jim Scott used an SM7 on the self titled record as well. They tracked using Scott's Neve BCM-10 sidecars, which contain 1073 pres and 1079 EQs. Prob my fav of theirs after YHFT and Summerteeth.

Here is a link to the article: Wilco 2009 Album | Recording Wilco (The Album) 2009 Album

Thanks for the Sonciscoop article too, It's amazing what you can find if you google.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

www.YouTube.com/watch?v=jAQ8DSsPJD0

This is from the DVD and why I recalled a beta 58. They were just rehearsing though...

Sent from my GT-P3113
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Addict

He sounds good into dynamics. Gives him that dry, forward sound he's become known for. Love Tweedy.
Old 16th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopeless_opus View Post
According to MixOnline, Jim Scott used an SM7 on the self titled record as well. They tracked using Scott's Neve BCM-10 sidecars, which contain 1073 pres and 1079 EQs. Prob my fav of theirs after YHFT and Summerteeth.

Here is a link to the article: Wilco 2009 Album | Recording Wilco (The Album) 2009 Album

Thanks for the Sonciscoop article too, It's amazing what you can find if you google.
Everytime I tracked Jeff it was either an original SM-7 or one of my tube Sony C-37a's [this worked well also], into a 1073 or a modified Altec 1567a, into a LA2a, 175B, or modified LA4a. Sometimes a Lang PEQ-1 or Pultec EQP1A. Mermaid Avenue II [some replacements on Mermaid I] and 3-4x on YHF [C12 on one song]. Usually live, rarely OD's. He doesn't like to 'build' takes. He sounds like Jeff on most anything though, not a good 'fit' on u87/u67 at all. Alot of what you are hearing is his voice...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm still confused what "super dry veil" means!

Veil?

- c
Old 16th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I'm still confused what "super dry veil" means!

Veil?

- c
I think we all are unless he tells us what he means...ha.

my guess-
Super Dry [obvious] - Veil= SM7, not open above 15k like a condensor maybe?
Jeff also has some of those darker qualities in his voice, with a upper mid range rasp that can appear. Makes for a harder mic/vox match.
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Everytime I tracked Jeff it was either an original SM-7 or one of my tube Sony C-37a's [this worked well also], into a 1073 or a modified Altec 1567a, into a LA2a, 175B, or modified LA4a. Sometimes a Lang PEQ-1 or Pultec EQP1A. Mermaid Avenue II [some replacements on Mermaid I] and 3-4x on YHF [C12 on one song]. Usually live, rarely OD's. He doesn't like to 'build' takes. He sounds like Jeff on most anything though, not a good 'fit' on u87/u67 at all. Alot of what you are hearing is his voice...

Best-
Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan, always great to hear the information from the source.
Old 18th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by old ghost View Post
Thanks Jonathan, always great to hear the information from the source.
Would be much better still to hear from Jim Scott, who I believe has worked the most with Wilco of any of the talented engineers they used. It's been a decade since I last did anything with them. I came in because of Jay so I thought only appropriate that I go out with Jay. Stick with your friends, even at their lowest points, they need you...

Best-
Jonathan
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Addict

Also, from the pics of the Loft a while ago, it looked to be Shure SM7, 1073(etc) on the BCM10, and 1176...
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Would be much better still to hear from Jim Scott, who I believe has worked the most with Wilco of any of the talented engineers they used. It's been a decade since I last did anything with them. I came in because of Jay so I thought only appropriate that I go out with Jay. Stick with your friends, even at their lowest points, they need you...

Best-
Jonathan
AMEN JP.
sage words.
📝 Reply