The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
silly question:how to clean speaker membranes?
Old 15th July 2006
Gear Nut

silly question:how to clean speaker membranes?

i know it ain´t a very slutty question, but how do you clean speaker membranes from the dust, dry soft cloth?

thanks,

bojan

-----------------------------------------
ignoring gravity music e.k.
bojan vuletic

e [email protected]
h www.ignoring-gravity.com
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, I'm interested in this, too.
My room is a bit "dusty"...
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Some get dustier than others. My ATC drivers are coated with some really sticky doping material that attracts lots of dust. If they get really bad, like the time my dog decided to open a down comforter, I use a bit of drafting tape, which is like masking tape except the glue isn't as strong.

But you gotta be really careful. It's probably best to not do anything, but it does start looking nasty.

If they're just paper cones, you can use a really soft paintbrush (again, careful!)

Drafting tape is actually really good to have around. It's made to stick to vellum and canary paper (way back in the day, architects used paper!) and you had to be able to peel it up without ripping the paper and without leaving glue behind.

http://www.discountofficesupplies.co...F-8Andoe=UTF-8
Old 15th July 2006
Gear Addict

I asked Billy Woodman of ATC how to do exactly this on my very pricey ATC's and he said don't worry about it, though unsightly, dust didn't affect the sound of the drivers at all. and my studio is mighty dusty (basement with no windows and not much ventilation). not much help for you, but my experience of dust on the membrane (that sounds like a euphemisim for something bad...). enjoy- prammy
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramrod
dust didn't affect the sound of the drivers at all. and my studio is mighty dusty
Certainly not, to be sure, but I try to keep a tidy ship. Those ATC drivers are kinda like flypaper.

Dog hair alone is a menace to my sanity!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search