Lives for gear

dude, that's pretty insensitive.
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

heh
Old 17th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

The (somewhat) Official Word Is In:

Just got off the phone with M-Audio, the official word is still not 100% official but this is the info thus far:

It was shown at NAMM, and added to the website. This is literally as far as things have gone thus far.

Street should be $399-ish.

Availability in their system is showing early September at best.

It appears as though it will be M-Powered PT compatible but still no official word.

So the official word thus far is, 2 months out and around $400 and they seem to think it will be M-Powered but cannot confirm yet. I have asked them to dig for this info since they don't have it at their fingertips. More info as I receive it.

EDIT: My rep just responded with yes, the plan is M-Powered compatible like their other products.

War
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
EDIT: My rep just responded with yes, the plan is M-Powered compatible like their other products.

War
This could be the start of a Digi-Paradigm shift. NEAT!!!!
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Warren,

put me down for one please.
Old 17th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

Check your pm's.

War
Old 17th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

I wanted to confirm with the M-Audio rep if you'd be able to use all 32 channels of i/o at once with M-Powered PT, his response:

Yes, you’ll be able to use 32 simultaneous channels with the Light Bridge and M-Powered.

War
Old 17th July 2006
Gear Nut

having never used M-Powered, does it already in the Input selection assignment boxes allow for ADAT/Lightpipe channels beyond 1-8, or is the wait based upon the need for a software update to accomodate so many ports?
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherbox
having never used M-Powered, does it already in the Input selection assignment boxes allow for ADAT/Lightpipe channels beyond 1-8, or is the wait based upon the need for a software update to accomodate so many ports?

i beleive the software identifies the compatible hardware connected, identifies its i/o capabilities, and makes that i/o, whatever it may be, available to hardware setup.
Old 17th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

Like any DAW software it's only going to recognize what the driver selected provides. If it's the Profire Light Bridge then you're going to see all of them in M-Powered or any other compatible program.

War
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

Well, if this thing is compatible, which it seems to be heading in that direction, there either must be an 003 around the corner, or the end of PTLE altogether.

What would be the selling point for LE if it remained, and M-powered became a more powerful platform. I believe the DV toolkit doesn't work on M-powered but I may be mistaken.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Digi made M-powered with the ability for 32 I/O, but gave full ADC to PTLE

They must have something up their sleeve
Old 17th July 2006
Lives for gear

if this is true this will prolly be my new trackingroom setup so I can move the tdm system to my new mixroom....

flipping yeah !

powerfull tracking setup w/ the 48 track toolkit option.

LE R.I.P.
Old 18th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx
Well, if this thing is compatible, which it seems to be heading in that direction, there either must be an 003 around the corner, or the end of PTLE altogether.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

I have a DA7 mixer, a AMD dual-core PC with RME 9652 and Nuendo that I use now. I had a 001 and PTLE 6.1 which I really miss for the software, just not enough I/O. I have been watching the prices fall on PT MIX hardware and Adat bridges on Ebay until I could afford them. This will make the need for the PT Mix sytem a non-starter as it will cost less for a tricked out M-Powered system with the Production Toolkit than I paid for Nuendo. I pounded Digi on the DUC and via email to introduce something like this a couple of years ago, preferably on a PCI card, but I guess firewire will do. Cool thing is with the ASIO drivers it will work with Nuendo too. I originally started with a tube 1" 8-track some 30 years ago, ain't these wonderful times for being a recordist.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Hmmm.... does anyone else think that 32 ins/outs is just a little too much for one firewire connection?

If it works its definetly on my to buy list.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spark
Hmmm.... does anyone else think that 32 ins/outs is just a little too much for one firewire connection?

nope it still only uses less that 1/4 of FW total bus speed.
Old 18th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx
I believe the DV toolkit doesn't work on M-powered but I may be mistaken.
Correct, the Music Production Tool Kit does work with LE and M-Powered but not the DV.

War
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
nope it still only uses less that 1/4 of FW total bus speed.
Interesting.... Goodbye 001? heh.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Wow - that is some very impressive stuff. I am on vacation and was only able to log into to some web service today. i am glad I didn't have to wait an entire weekend before getting that info. I didn't think much would come out of Digi's purchase of M-Audio. The only thing i am missingSTILL is ADC. Give me ADC and set me free !!!! heh

I literally just built a whole new rig around two Lynx AES16 cards and Aurora convertors. The whole system works nicely but I am a having some challenges getting adjusted to Cubase. This might have sucked me in to stay with PT a little longer BUT I want ADC and than I might migrate back.

As long as my wish list is here, unlimited audio tracks wouldn't be bad, I was mixing a song with 50 + tracks just before my vacation!! Oh well, I guess you can't have it all.
Old 18th July 2006
Gear Addict

>Interesting.... Goodbye 001?

yeah, this is good news. I've been waiting as well on my 001.
But, i wouldn't buy till after AES just in case they do release something
for LE. It definately could be the end...but since i've waited this long,
might as well wait just a bit more. But the timing seems to be right to jump from 001/6.4 and new mac-intel desktops to be out by then.

>The whole system works nicely but I am a having some challenges getting >adjusted to Cubase. This might have sucked me in to stay with PT a little longer >BUT I want ADC and than I might migrate back.

imo, if you do alot of extensive audio editing, then that is where i found the most
time to adjust. But either way, i think it is wise to have both software to fulfill particular functions. thumbsup
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

let's see....... the most it should handle is 32 tracks of recording at 24/48 and 36 tracks of playback simultaniously....

that's 68 times 24bits times 48000 = 78336000 bits per second

78336000 / 8=9792000 divided by 8 turns it into bytes ("byte" = by eight)

9792000 / 1024 = 9562,5 kBps / 1024 = 9.33837890625MB/s

it's early, I've slept a mere four hours, I could be off... pressed for time too.
but, if my calculations are correct you'd need a sustained bandwidth of at least 10MB per second to pull it of..... me thinks firewire400 could handle that fine...

400 stands for 400 mega BIT per second right? divide by eight is then the maximum amounts of MB per second, being 50MB per second max.... it should be able to sustain 10MB per second then, me thinks.
Old 18th July 2006
Quote:

The Fireface 800 runs 10 analog, 8 SMUX, and 2 S/PDIF i/o at 96k, same bandwidth as 40 i/o at 48k.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace
Will Digi let it happen?
M-Audio is a division of AVID..... So is digidesign.

Cheers
Lawrence.
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~
let's see....... the most it should handle is 32 tracks of recording at 24/48 and 36 tracks of playback simultaniously....

that's 68 times 24bits times 48000 = 78336000 bits per second

78336000 / 8=9792000 divided by 8 turns it into bytes ("byte" = by eight)

9792000 / 1024 = 9562,5 kBps / 1024 = 9.33837890625MB/s

it's early, I've slept a mere four hours, I could be off... pressed for time too.
but, if my calculations are correct you'd need a sustained bandwidth of at least 10MB per second to pull it of..... me thinks firewire400 could handle that fine...

400 stands for 400 mega BIT per second right? divide by eight is then the maximum amounts of MB per second, being 50MB per second max.... it should be able to sustain 10MB per second then, me thinks.

Two things:

- 1: There is still FireWire Protocol overhead which takes a % of the bandwith but still, it should be possible/
2: I've been told by a renowed brand of audio engineers that there is a problem in Mac'x FW driver which doesn't allow them to handle too many channels. Don't remember the figure though

Regards
Lawrence
Old 18th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz
I pounded Digi on the DUC and via email to introduce something like this a couple of years ago, preferably on a PCI card, but I guess firewire will do.
They always get there in the end eh?
Old 18th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_o
M-Audio is a division of AVID..... So is digidesign.
actually Avid/Digidesign do NOT run M-Audio.
Digidesign being Avid’s audio division, M-Audio is a part of Avid meaning they are just another aquired company.

Of course FW has some overhead as does any protocol and is one reason theoretical speeds of any protocol are never reached. However there is still a huge difference between the required speed and the total theoretical speed that it simply isnt an issue at this point. of course if add a couple of hard disks and some DSP hardware and it may be another issue.
Old 18th July 2006
Gear Maniac

18 i/o max

Check out this thread on the DUC. http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...10255591025139. According to digi 18 i/o will remain the maximum.

Bummer!!
Old 18th July 2006
DigiCSAdministrator
Administrator

Reged: 10/12/99

Re: 34 i/o PTMP interface!! What's next for LE? new [Re: IntelDoc]
#1025559 - 07/18/06 12:30 PM
Edit post Edit Reply to this post Reply Reply to this post Quote

Hi folks,

The M-Powered Pro Tools software has a limit of 18 i/o's and will continue to have this limitation with the new M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge product.

DigiCS
Old 18th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

Well then even the M-Audio rep doesn't know yet...sorry about passing along his info and I'll ask him one more time if he really checked into it...?

War
Old 18th July 2006
Gear Nut

as long as it will accomodate 18 i/o of lightpipe in, that's a step forward IMO... one format, 18 channels of quality conversion, rather than being split between 8 ADAT, 2 spdif, and 8 questionable onboards...
📝 Reply