MW1 studio tool
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

MW1 studio tool

Anybody use one of these for a guitar DI? I have the input Z set at around 75% and the balanced line out gain at zero and it still peaks my track at 0db.

If I lower the input Z I can get the input lower, but I lose tone. Am I doing something wrong here?
Old 24th October 2012
Gear interested

Does the signal light on the MW1 turn red? If so, you might just have hot outputs on your guitar. If the signal light is not turning red, maybe a pad after the MW1 would help lower the line level signal before your interface.

I pick pretty hard and I get the signal light to turn red on the MW1, even with passive pickups. Occasionally the DI input will clip my Audiofire12 inputs. Hasn't been an often enough occurrence to worry about, but I suppose a 10 dB line level pad on the MW1 output would be useful in my case.
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunn View Post
Does the signal light on the MW1 turn red? If so, you might just have hot outputs on your guitar. If the signal light is not turning red, maybe a pad after the MW1 would help lower the line level signal before your interface.

I pick pretty hard and I get the signal light to turn red on the MW1, even with passive pickups. Occasionally the DI input will clip my Audiofire12 inputs. Hasn't been an often enough occurrence to worry about, but I suppose a 10 dB line level pad on the MW1 output would be useful in my case.
I will check that, thanks!
Old 13th September 2014
Gear Head

I realize I'm about 2 years too late, but I don't get out on the web much... just to put the final touch to this - maybe you have (or had by the time I'm writing this) converters with a -10dBu input? - The original MW1 version was only taking into consideration +4 converters and when people started using it on -10 converters, it was just too hot... we revised the gain range down an extra 6 dB and now it can work with both +4 and -10 converters. If your face plate goes from 0 to +30, it is the original version, but we can modify it by changing some of the gain setting resistors... if your faceplate goes from -6 to +24 then it is already revised and you must have some REALLY hot pick-ups - sure you're not going through a preamp first? There have been a handful of folks who didn't realize the MW1 output IS line level so they were running the MW1 into a preamp and then to the converters... no need for that - just go directly into your line level inputs...

Hope that helps - sorry it's two years too late...
Alex - Creation Audio Labs
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

I was just at your site looking at this amazing tool ! one thing I like on top of the features is you have a power button on the front of the rack and it is a rack unit . Makes a big difference to avoid all the clutter in a studio . Think I i will be selling off my current DI/reamp pack to grab this
Old 15th September 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by awelti View Post
I realize I'm about 2 years too late, but I don't get out on the web much... just to put the final touch to this - maybe you have (or had by the time I'm writing this) converters with a -10dBu input? - The original MW1 version was only taking into consideration +4 converters and when people started using it on -10 converters, it was just too hot... we revised the gain range down an extra 6 dB and now it can work with both +4 and -10 converters. If your face plate goes from 0 to +30, it is the original version, but we can modify it by changing some of the gain setting resistors... if your faceplate goes from -6 to +24 then it is already revised and you must have some REALLY hot pick-ups - sure you're not going through a preamp first? There have been a handful of folks who didn't realize the MW1 output IS line level so they were running the MW1 into a preamp and then to the converters... no need for that - just go directly into your line level inputs...

Hope that helps - sorry it's two years too late...
Wow, that's a real possibility. Mine does go to +30, so I have one of the originals. I use different converters now with balanced input and it is better.
Old 15th September 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. torture View Post
Wow, that's a real possibility. Mine does go to +30, so I have one of the originals. I use different converters now with balanced input and it is better.
Should be fine with the balanced converter... but if you decide you want the revision, we can do it for you... All the best!

Old 5th October 2014
Gear nut

Hey !
Sorry, a bit off topic but ...
I´m thinking about buying one MW1; mainly because of the Impedance tone shaping thing ...
I feel that the guitars and basses that I record, always have some sort of "blankety" dull thing to them ... although I change this with eq, I´d like to take a different route ...
Would you recommend this? Or should I try something else?
I would also end up using the other features, but the impedance is the absolute main reason for buying it.
Btw, I have great guitars, great amps, great cables connecting great pedals, etc ... but there´s something not quite right ...
I´m in the Uk so, not sure if I can demo it somewhere ...
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Ale
Old 6th October 2014
Gear Head

The MW1 will give you variable impedances and you can try one out from Bass Direct in the UK... It would work, but if you don't need the DI or reamp features, we could custom make a unity gain beltpack with a variable input impedance control on a trim pot. If you want to get rid of the "blankety" effect, it would be better to have it as close to the guitar as possible... Also, it would be a fraction of the cost... of course, we'd rather sell an MW1 (or both) ;-)

I hope that helps...

Alex Creation Audio Labs | Custom Studio Gear, Effect Pedals, Audio Upgrade
Five guys, doing what we love...
Old 6th October 2014
Gear nut

That sounds great ! Thank you. I'll check it out and get back to you.
I would end up using the DI and reamp features, but I do have other solutions for those ...
This is great help. Thanks and we'll be in touch

Ale
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search