The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Xtramix Ergonomics: how intuitive is it to use? do you get used to the routing?
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Xtramix Ergonomics: how intuitive is it to use? do you get used to the routing?

How is it to use all those tiny knobs and buttons?

Does it slow you down or do you get used to it?

The Xtramix is the right size for my new setup and will accomplish my goals (simultaneously tracking multiple keyboards and softsynths through pedals, effects, and filters..and keeping everything hooked up for easy access)...and I'd rather not set up a small console on my tiny desk....

but then again something like a MixWizard or Midas will have a more intuitive layout (especially the aux sends where what-you-see-is-what-you-get)...

Xtramix users, do you have to stop and think 'wait how do I do that again' every time you have a routing idea...or do you get used to it over time?
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

???
Old 15th July 2006
You get used to it

I look at the Xtramix as being more of a feature-rich patchbay for my synth rack than a mixer pre se.

You know how much fun it is ripping apart and reconfiguring patchbays every six months because of new gear? Not much fun for me. The Xtramix solves this problem by replacing the front side of the patch bay with buttons and knobs instead of holes than need to be labeled. And after a week or so of decent time with it it all makes perfect sense. Then I get a new module or a new effect or a new whatever, decide I'm going to change my mind about which signals I want on which busses, and, if I'm not lucky, I have to do some repatching in addition to rerouting.

But I do think that if you start out with a clear picture of what you want coming into your main board from your synth rack, recognizing that you don't have to solve 100% of the problems inside the Xtramix (that's what the main board is for!), you can get something really stable, that sounds great, and best of all, makes solid intuitive sense ONCE YOU HAVE WRITTEN IT DOWN AND GROKKED IT. Woe is anybody who doesn't do the paperwork ahead of time.
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless
makes solid intuitive sense ONCE YOU HAVE WRITTEN IT DOWN AND GROKKED IT. Woe is anybody who doesn't do the paperwork ahead of time.
Thanks for the insight clueless. That was very well written and answered my question (flexible patchbay). btw, that's the first time I've read or heard the verb Grok Wiki definition here... nice word. Are people saying that where you live?
Old 15th July 2006
Grok (v.)

People have been saying that for a long time where I live--in the world of software. In the world of music, not so much.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search