The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL clone example...
Old 15th July 2006
SSL clone example...

Thought i would post an example of my SSL clone i just finished building...
Didn't spend much time on the mix balance...eq...etc.. and the recording was so so ... done in a basement... i turn the unit on then off then on then off...then leave it on for the ending. hope u enjoy!

ftp link: ftp://music:[email protected]:28
Attached Thumbnails
SSL clone example...-testing1-640.jpg  
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by desol
Thought i would post an example of my SSL clone i just finished building...
Didn't spend much time on the mix balance...eq...etc.. and the recording was so so ... done in a basement... i turn the unit on then off then on then off...then leave it on for the ending. hope u enjoy!

ftp link: ftp://music:[email protected]
Sounds good Desol!

The GSSL is a great buss comp. Did you use the THAT VCA's?

Be sure you check to be sure the ratios are OK. You have to replace a couple of resistors to correct the ratios with the THAT VCA's. Also I added a resistor in parallel with the threshold to tame the response.

Another mod you might want to consider is a low pass filter... i found the GSSL likes to grab lows too much for my taste... there's a guy on the Group DIY that sells PCB's for a stepped low pass filter, but my friend Peeceebee who is a gearslutz member figured out how to add a lowpass by simply adding a pot somewhere in the signal path (seems much easier to me).

The GSSL's are fun. I'm in the process of building a bunch more!
Old 15th July 2006
Awesome! Yeah...i really like the unit. It's amazing how it can bring a room out.
I did about ten mod's to it...lol..after i got it all figured out. I used the THAT 2180LA's.. in all three positions.
I don't know..i like the way it grabs the low's...in fact that's one of the things i MOST like about it....especially for kick. I'm thinking about building another one too...

Cheers! Good luck on your next ones
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Cool. Yeah, your's sounds good for sure. Works well with the mix you posted. What caps did you use?

I have some DBX 2150 and 202 VCAs that I'll be using for my next few builds. I'm curious to hear how they might sound different.

The G1176 rocks as well. I've built 3. They get used all over the place.
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

OOh! Norman, can you give us links to the group diy seller for lowpass pcbs, and Peeceebee's post? I need to do that as well to my Gssl, and want to figure out the best way to do it.

Thanks
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos
OOh! Norman, can you give us links to the group diy seller for lowpass pcbs, and Peeceebee's post? I need to do that as well to my Gssl, and want to figure out the best way to do it.

Thanks
Hey Thermos,

Sorry.. I meant "High" pass filter. Essentially a high pass sidechain filter that allows some low end to come through uncompressed.

A guy Greg was selling some PCB's based on Steffan's design. Here's some info:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/vie...65944fa3f58cbc

Here's where Greg was selling them:

http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/vie...a6cd7199e5a80d

I think Peeceebee's idea is better (easier to implement). The pot also makes the highpass variable which means you could fine tune it; maybe harder to recall than a stepped high pass. You'll have to ask him directly; on how he went about it. I only saw it when I visited him. I think it was just a pot and a coupling cap ... seemed fairly straight forward.
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry thats what I meant, hi pass. Thanks for the links!
Old 15th July 2006
Gear Maniac

What's that Ward Beck thing on the site, Desol? You don't have a Ward Beck desk by any chance?
Old 15th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightsy
What's that Ward Beck thing on the site, Desol? You don't have a Ward Beck desk by any chance?

Nomad: i'm not sure which caps i used...i think greg said the nichicon's? were the best.

Knightsy: The Ward beck example is a song tracked entirely with Ward beck 460 preamps.
I do have a Ward beck desk...i've posted a picture of it on gearslutz a while ago...it has the 480 preamps.
If you search Ward beck console...it will come up.

D.
Old 16th July 2006
I have a 460LA - pretty nice pre, I just wish I could have a cheap, nice, rack for it.
Old 16th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch
I have a 460LA - pretty nice pre, I just wish I could have a cheap, nice, rack for it.

Yeah....they are nice....the guy that did the recording remarked that they had tons of headroom...

Have a look at this: http://www.orphanaudio.com/index.php?id=139,0,0,1,0,0

Cheers!

D.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search