The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure Beta 57A on female vocals?
Old 15th July 2006
Lives for gear

Shure Beta 57A on female vocals?

Hi guys,

I just picked up a Beta 57A for a great price, and have been using it in the studio to record vocal demos on a young female singer. I have used other shure mics in the SM range, never cared for them much other than they get the job done.

I have very limited mics including my Rode K2 and just sold my Neumann TLM 103. I was amazed by the warm / neutral sound of the vocal with this cheaper dynamic mic, and wondered if others feel the same or not? I get none of that toppiness, sibilance, etc.
Old 15th July 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofswing
Hi guys,

I just picked up a Beta 57A for a great price, and have been using it in the studio to record vocal demos on a young female singer. I have used other shure mics in the SM range, never cared for them much other than they get the job done.

I have very limited mics including my Rode K2 and just sold my Neumann TLM 103. I was amazed by the warm / neutral sound of the vocal with this cheaper dynamic mic, and wondered if others feel the same or not? I get none of that toppiness, sibilance, etc.
Cool... yeah, there are plenty of mics I'm surprised work for certain situations. Most of the time I get into "here's my goto mic" and when it doesn't work out, I go down the line and I'll find something that becomes a pleasant surprise.

Case in point: During a specific session I went thru all the mics I like to use for vocals while the singer kept telling me they had previous recording luck with a regular ol' SM57. I fought to the bitter end before giving the 57 a shot and, well, color-me-embarrassed, the 57 was the mic that worked... I even agreed it was the best for his voice, recorded. It wasn't psychological, it happened to be the best for his voice (Ripley's Believe It... or Not!)

The people that know me or have worked with me know I avoid the SM57 like the plague (to beat a cliche into the ground) but when it works, it works!

-- Adam Lazlo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search