The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My Room and Headphone Usage
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

My Room and Headphone Usage

First, the bittersweet news is I think the level of my mixing has risen to the point where I realize my room totally and utterly sucks. Now the question.

I know it is generally agreed that headphone mixing is a huge no-no, however, the bass response in my room is absolutely horrible, along with the stereo image. I like the general tones that I come out with when mixing on my monitors(Denon amp -> JBL 4312's), but when I go to the phones the levels are generally off a bit and the bass is absolutely too low. Its as though when I am mixing on my monitors, the bass is all jumbled up and over-exaggerated. So I was thinking I could get the sound as good as possible on the monitors and then go to the phones for the final level setting and panning. Is this a bad idea? Any other ideas?
Old 14th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

Well you're bypassing the real problem which is your room. Acoustic treatment / bass traps is where the solution lies...not in skipping past that and heading for the headphones.

War
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

This is, unfortunately, absolutely impossible in my current situation(mixing in my apartment living room). When we move into a house I will be looking into some serious acoustics research. But for the time being.....
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Guru

there's nothing here that we can tell you... either what you're doing works, because your mixes sound good, or it doesn't.

is it working? if it is, you're golden. if it isn't, you need 703.

trust me, reality is that simple!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Guru

> This is, unfortunately, absolutely impossible in my current situation(mixing in my apartment living room). <

You can buy or build bass traps and simply rest them on the floor leaning into corners. Then when you move you can hang them properly. In the mean time you'll have a made a huge improvement.

--Ethan
Old 14th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

The new GIK Acoustics "Tri Traps" are awesome for that situation, just stand them up. Also, they are built around 3'11" high so if you have 8' ceilings you can cover floor to ceiling by stacking them. I use a pair in my studio also, they freakin' rock.

War
Old 14th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
The new GIK Acoustics "Tri Traps" are awesome for that situation, just stand them up. Also, they are built around 3'11" high so if you have 8' ceilings you can cover floor to ceiling by stacking them. I use a pair in my studio also, they freakin' rock.

War
I was just thinking about these things yesterday. I might buy a few. War, how many do you have and how many did it take before you noticed a big difference in the room. I have 5 Realtraps now (thanks Ethan GREAT product) but that is just not enough to fix my mess of a room. I need more low end trapping.
Old 14th July 2006
dbm as you can see above I am in the same boat. A couple of points.

1) First off you should fix the room, but you know this. If you can't hear it all the points below are really just an educated guess on your part.

2) I have mixed in some great rooms and some pretty crappy rooms and don't let anyone fool you here, you can get a great mix out of a crappy room it just takes much MUCH longer. The absolute key to mixing in a bad room is to knowing how it is bad. Ethan has a nice little test tone CD that you can download from his site, that really opened my eyes to where the weak points were in my room. This helped me to know that what I am missing in the room is probably coming out of the speakers so I should not add for it.

3) I don't like copying other folks work as a rule of thumb but when I mix in a bad room, especially for the first time, I spend a whole lot of time referencing a CD of material in the same style. A whole lot of time like on almost every pass I switch to the ref CD, at least when I am getting levels going. After a few mixes with this back and forth critical listening between your mix and the ref CD you start to know what the room sounds like and as I said in point 1 above, knowing your room is the most important part.

4) You can use phones to mix part of the time. Bob O here at Gearslutz mentioned that the Sony cans (I forget which model off the top of my head) are good for checking bass. I got a pair because I was in your situation and damn if he was not right on the money. The Sony phones really help me to get the bass right in my mixes but you have to learn them too. They seem very bass heavy, when the bass seems like to much on them it is probably pretty close. That and really knowing your room will get you in the ball park.

5) Save yourself the aggravation and fix the room….

Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

I agree, reference music that you like in your room. It works well. Check the treble, bass, mid levels and see whats going on.
Old 14th July 2006
SRS
Lives for gear

Get some 703, two inch thick, double it up to four inches thick and simply wrap it in burlap from Wal-Mart (or wherever)... Use some 3m spray glue (from Lowes or Home Depot) and attach the burlap. Stand them up in some corners and you WILL notice a tremendous improvement in bass response of the room. Guaranteed.

Also, hang any material (absorptive of course) on the side walls to knock down the first reflections off your monitors at the listening position. Use a friend and a mirror to determine the right placement. Those are cheap, simple, moveable and EXTREMELY EFFECTIVE fixes.
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
I was just thinking about these things yesterday. I might buy a few. War, how many do you have and how many did it take before you noticed a big difference in the room. I have 5 Realtraps now (thanks Ethan GREAT product) but that is just not enough to fix my mess of a room. I need more low end trapping.
Most rooms I have seen need between 6 and 12 bass traps. Depending on room size and contruction of the room. If you would like you can email me a layout of your room and I can take a look.
Note: I am sitting right now on a island in the West Indies (Martinique) so if I do not get back to right away it is either I do not have internet connection or I am having a fruity rhum drink!!heh

Glenn
Old 14th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie
Most rooms I have seen need between 6 and 12 bass traps. Depending on room size and contruction of the room. If you would like you can email me a layout of your room and I can take a look.
Note: I am sitting right now on a island in the West Indies (Martinique) so if I do not get back to right away it is either I do not have internet connection or I am having a fruity rhum drink!!heh

Glenn
Very cool man GOOD FOR YOU!!! Have one for us wihle you are there.
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
Very cool man GOOD FOR YOU!!! Have one for us wihle you are there.
I will have 2 for you!!

One plane ticket - $756.00
Seeing a french women on the bench with no clothes on - PRICELESS

Glenn
Old 14th July 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie
I will have 2 for you!!

One plane ticket - $756.00
Seeing a french women on the bench with no clothes on - PRICELESS

Glenn

LOL

CLASSIC!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search