The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
good price LDC for Guit cabs / bass cabs and a bit of vox
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Addict

good price LDC for Guit cabs / bass cabs and a bit of vox

i've been scouring the interweb, gearslutz etc to try and find a mic that really fits the bill

i want a large diaphragm condensor for micing loud, distorted guitar cabs and Bass cabs these are the most important applications, seondary are a bit of male rock vox and maybe FOK or ambient room.... i am sorted for overheads so theyre not a factor, female vox and piano are catered for, acoustic guitar: catered for.... so what is there out there for a reasonable, fair price? this means no daftly priced nuemanns or the like... the budget is sub $1k (as sub as possible tbh)..

for reference i have: C414EB, GT66's, Gt67's, and i have had and not really gotten on with AT4033's, Oktava MK219's... so whats out there?

pimp me your faves! and if you have one i want SELL IT TO ME!!!!
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Shure SM7 is the absolute best buy for male rock vox, bass cab, guitar amp, kick drum, etc. Don't bother with a cheap LDC, it'll only piss you off.

m
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

If you must have an LDC, then the AT4047 is probably the best thing under a grand. But, I still use my SM7 about 10X more than the 4047.

m
Old 14th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

There is no condensor mic I would reach for past a good ribbon. On male rock vocals though, I would rarely grab a ribbon before a good condensor. On a sub $1k budget I would consider grabbing one of each, in my experience the sE Electronics R1 ribbon rocks on cabs (I reach for it over my R84 in this application) and for male rock vocals something like the ADK Hamburg could be the answer. Both of those could be had for a little under $1k.

My $0.02

War
Old 14th July 2006

What do you guys think of the Shure KSM32 for all of the above?

I remember reading an interview with Stone Temple Pilots' sound guy who ended up using them on gtr cabs, Overheads, and Hihats.

General consensus is they are quite neutral-sounding. (?)

Check out the outdoor live footage on their best-of compilation: You can see them on the drums and AC30s

Didn't Steve Vai also use KSM32s (KSM44s ?) on his gtr cabs?

War?
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Addict

i should have said i have an sm7 which is my first choice rock vox and i also have an AEA R88 which is my fist choice for everything but i really like the sound of a condensor on a bass cab combined with either a sweet dynamic (ie 421, sm7) or a good DI ... i use the 414 some times but its a bit mid heavy...

what the thoughts on the AT4047 then? good?

i've looked at the audix CX and SCX... any opinions on those?
Old 14th July 2006
Jai guru deva om

I own a KSM32, have for years. No way in hell would I rely on that mic for guitar cabs...again I'm not a big fan of condensors on cabs as there is this tizzy / high end **** that you just can't hardly EQ out but...to each their own.

I rarely use that mic at that, hell I should sell it. The occassional vocal gets it when like a quartet or something comes in and I want everyone to have their own mic (because at least one singer in every quartet sucks and nobody else has the balls to tell him).

War
Old 14th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
again I'm not a big fan of condensors on cabs as there is this tizzy / high end ****
You know, I'm kind of the same way. I've even tried the biggies (u47s etc) with "...not...bad..." impressions. But I gotto tell ya, when I'm in the mood, I'll stick an iFET7 a foot off a good sounding combo and it really does the trick for me. Other than that I'll do the Royer thing and wonder why everyone likes it more than I do heh

EDIT: Actually since I'm typing, I'm wondering if the Ribbon fans on cabs are dealing with rigs that are a bit harsh sounding. In that case I can really see how the Royer can really be a problem solver. That and I like them on Fender amps. But I also have a Marshall 18watt in my studio that sounds just right as is and I almost always preffer an LDC on it.
Old 14th July 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Just pretend an RE-20 is a condenser.
Old 14th July 2006
Gear Addict

hahahahahaha
Old 14th July 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

I actually like Gefell UM70s on guitars and in front of kick, so I bet it would sound good in front of a bass cabinet as well. You can find those used for under a grand.
Old 15th July 2006
Gear Head

what about the heil stuff???
Old 15th July 2006
Gear Guru

You can get the Gefell M900 for about a grand. It is the best thing on the guitar speakers you could imagine. Try it and see for yourself.

Your C414eb should also work nicely.

http://www.gprime.com/html/microphones/m900.html
Old 15th July 2006
Gear Guru

i like dynamics, ribbons, & sdc's on egtr. don't like ldc's.

gregoire
del
ubk.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search